Why Are Vans So Expensive In The Uk?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GWAYGWAY, Jun 3, 2015.

1. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

My friend has just brought back his new Westphalia Columbus that he has bought in Belgium. apart from a bit of mucking about getting the lights changed he will have no problems, So why was it so much cheaper than here. The price is in pounds the same as he paid in Euro.
    He gave me the dealers sales pamphlet ant they sell a large range from PVCs to A class . What is surprising is that the full price in euro is almost exactly on parity to pounds throughout the whole lot, and the extras as well, the sign at the front of the prices have just transposed the £ and euro sign.
    Most of these vans are imported directly by the dealers here with no actual importer taking a cut so they really are taking us for total mugs. They even ADD on the delivery and PDI charge on top of the inflated start price. I guess that I will be going over there when the time comes to buy a new one. There is just the little matter of why does a EURO change to a pound when it is about 1.40 different.
    Treasure Island is alive and kicking. Maybe there is a dealer or someone at one who could explain without the bulls==t about right hand drive being expensive. It applies if you want a LHD only it brings a surcharge on top.

• Like Like x 3
  2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

thats because the factory has to convert them to rhd . if you want lhd then buy abroad.
    but if buying a motor caeravan abroad watch out they have some crap conversions . no grill no oven . etc . some do . choice is yours .

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Because they can is the simple answer.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

The motorhome manufacturers buy the chassis in LHD or RHD from Fiat, MB, Ford etc. probably for the same price. I don't see much extra cost there. An excuse for profiteering maybe

• Like Like x 2
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

For the same reason we pay more for fuel than all but one EU country, because UK purchasers WILL pay the price.....why make them cheaper when theres no need.

• Like Like x 2
  6. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

I remember an article about car makers a few years back where it stated that Peugeot sold some 10% of its vehicles in the UK but they contributed 32% of company profits. Same with electronic stuff Uk & US. There was an article last week about the price of new I -watch in UK- As pappajohn said they'll pay.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

only a small percentage of vehicles need to be rhd . lhd is the standard . in europe we are the only rhd .

9. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

what abut Ireland

• Like Like x 1
  10. tofo

tofo Funster

And Cyprus Australia New Zealand and japan

11. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

Well spotted Bill!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

India, Malta also..

13. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

then there's the tax....!

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

ok ireland but since when as australia , new zealand ,japan been in europe .
    thats why uk as lots of jap imports like the mazda bongo. europe doesnt want them . even america doesnt want them .

• Like Like x 2
  15. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Dont forget the dealers profit :).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Bahamas japan nearly all the Caribbean islands

17. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Why Are Vans So Expensive In The Uk?
    Well it's obvious innit? - Saves them having to print a new sales pamphlet (y)

• Like Like x 1
  18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

just dont buy a european vehicle .

19. Ian789

Ian789 Read Only Funster

We ordered a Westfalia Amundsen (the Columbus' little brother) from Lowdhams having looked at it at the NEC in October - and I also looked at the European pricelist to compare with the UKs. At that time on Westfalia's website the prices at least for all the options were identical betweem Germany and the UK, but the German pricelist at was net of VAT whereas the UK pricelist included VAT. The current brochures are both inclusive of VAT and the option prices are 20% more expensive in the German brochure.So they seem to be still working on an exchange rate of 1.2 which is obviously well out of date. Having said that I was quite happy with the deal we managed to negotiate, including a show option pack which included everything we would have opted for separately anyway. We have just taken delivery and are really pleased with the van (first trip away on Monday to Vanbitz), but I agree it would be interesting to see if the 2016 pricelists for European built RHD vans reflect the new reality of the Sterling- Euro exchange rate. I wont be putting any money on it though.

20. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

There are no difference in the tax involved other than the VAT and that is calculated on the selling price, almost the same rate throughout the EEC just in the UK it is more because the selling price is a damn sight more so the VAT is 20% of the increased price.
    I am still looking at a chausson 610 and the price in Euro is the same figure again of the price in £ I really think that we ARE BEING RIPPED OFF by the dealers who must be making a LOT more profit but I should think that the dealers abroad are making a fair share themselves but there is a LOT MORE competition, as there are a much bigger geographic areas where you can go a shop around, unlike here where you are stuck with a few dealers in a pricing cartel.

• Like Like x 3