Why are (most) motorhomes white (1 Viewer)

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
The V Line 636 SE that we are on the cusp of purchasing is silver, the older '' sport '' models had a high top affixed.

Lovely van, we hope that it proves to be more than everything you hope for. Have a lovely time and great adventures in it. :dance2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ours is classed as 'white gold' ... could have gone for the bright orange one like Ludo has (he's a flashy f@rt! :D) but didn't think it would be so incognito when wild camping! :D2

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I saw one done in matt olive drab in France. Looked cool, but I was tempted to paint a big red cross on the side of it on a white square...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I saw one done in matt olive drab in France. Looked cool, but I was tempted to paint a big red cross on the side of it on a white square...
... that made me think of M*A*S*H ... :D

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Exactly!

mash-ambulance.jpg

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Wish my Hymer was the goldy colour, the white is stark and very difficult to keep clean. Had to have it as that is what was in stock.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
White is cheaper to do as all the trim and strips are stock items. When you do other colours you then have to have more stock, from paint to decals upwards.
White is also good at reflecting heat. My motorhome is dark grey metallic and is hotter inside in the summer, luckily summer was only 2 days last year in the UK.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It`s more than likely to do with cost. Traditionally, mass produced panels are / where cut from huge rolls of Aluminium which come off the production line ready painted, and all white. I drove on Agency for the Company which produces pre-cut panels for the Static Caravan industry, in fact I have had as many as 12, "knocked down" 40ft Holiday Homes on a 28t Lorry!!. I suspect the same happens with the Sheet ABS or Glass Fibre, which has then got to have matching mouldings from the same materials. Producing it all in (a slightly "off") white, makes savings of cost, (which the "bean counters" love) The GEL coated panels of my last R-V where Painted on lower parts and Graphics. BUT the main gel coating was predominately a sort of Light Beige!. The "Rubber" roof being white to reflect heat primarily!. And as others have pointed out, White reflects the sun and keeps the interior cooler. For those who have slightly deeper pockets "coloured" `vans are available usually as a cost extra!.

I am not sure that many actually factor in the colour of the new `van, the other considerations are a higher priority?. Henry Ford allegedly said "any color as long as it`s Black". Which could be an industry mantra using "white"?.

Last edited:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
White is the cheapest option, the base vans, the fixtures and fittings. It's a shame that some items (fridge grills) made for motorhomes are still not UV stable. White is also cooler for the interior, Burstner vans in gold have white roofs.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
According to Hymer it does. The Sierra Grey metallic that mine is in adds 30kg they say.

And in answer to the OP's question they are white so as to make those nice grey streaks more visible :D2. Its a bugger finding them on my grey van. ;)

Is that Paint. or actually coloured into the gel coat?. (not the streaks, although sometimes you could think they where!:()

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Don't know for certain I am afraid. I think it is paint.

Just short of 30Litre of paint would seem to be an awful lot?, even on a big `van, must have some depth and thickness!. I`v painted a car before on 2Litre (6 Thinned coats) and still got some left. Strange really?.

Ah!! I Have it!!.(y) Hans in the paint shop is doing "govies" on the side for all his mates!!.(y):D

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Is that Paint. or actually coloured into the gel coat?. (not the streaks, although sometimes you could think they where!:()
On the skirt it's certainly paint....the rest of it is on the gatepost :(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
According to Hymer it does. The Sierra Grey metallic that mine is in adds 30kg they say.

And in answer to the OP's question they are white so as to make those nice grey streaks more visible :D2. Its a bugger finding them on my grey van. ;)
The weight of the paint was discussed in a thread not that long ago and I seem to remember it also included some extra roof protection/covering which obviously added to the weight so the paint itself is only a fraction of the overall weight.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
White is the cheapest option, the base vans, the fixtures and fittings. It's a shame that some items (fridge grills) made for motorhomes are still not UV stable. White is also cooler for the interior, Burstner vans in gold have white roofs.
Our gold van has a gold roof. :D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes SWMBO and 2 of her friends found that out.:( Must be a woman thing?:D2 (Tin hat at the ready!):p:p
... no matter how well you try to hide the evidence I agree us women will ALWAYS find you out ... (y):D2

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The weight of the paint was discussed in a thread not that long ago and I seem to remember it also included some extra roof protection/covering which obviously added to the weight so the paint itself is only a fraction of the overall weight.
No, they are added anyway without the grey. They are not to reflect the light as much as to provide protection against against hale.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
No, they are added anyway without the grey. They are not to reflect the light as much as to provide protection against against hale.
Is that the same as in...hale Mary? Which may provide some divine protection.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I asked Autotrail this question at the NEC a year or so ago as I was fed up of the black streaks which resulted in me going for the gold Burstner. I have to say I wasn't exactly clear why the reason given meant that the colour had to be white but here is what I recall being told; He said the German (coloured) vans are built around a wooden frame construction whereas the Uk vehicles tend not to be.
Yet another salesman who hasn't got a clue about the product he is selling, now if you reverse his statement he would have got it right.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I was fed up of the black streaks which resulted in me going for the gold Burstner.r.

Wish my Hymer was the goldy colour, the white is stark and very difficult to keep clean. Had to have it as that is what was in stock.
What difference is Gold going to make it will get just as dirty have just as many black streaks. Just because they are not so obvious it is not an excuse not to keep it clean.

Having read what I have just written has made me think that a second hand van in white is probably a better buy as it will have been looked after better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back