Why are (most) motorhomes white (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Silly question time, drove past our local dealer the other day and mused.....why ARE m/homes (and 'vans) nearly all white coloured?

I saw an article about a type of small caravan that had a completely different design (rear full width door opening to get bikes and boats in etc and different materials used) and had a lovely union jack design...whats with the white?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Silly question time, drove past our local dealer the other day and mused.....why ARE m/homes (and 'vans) nearly all white coloured?

I saw an article about a type of small caravan that had a completely different design (rear full width door opening to get bikes and boats in etc and different materials used) and had a lovely union jack design...whats with the white?
Is that why we're easily spotted?
37198_1.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Heat.

I've owned a black car once, never again. Like an oven.

It's better to keep GRP cool too. Absorbed moisture can boil and create blisters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My mother asked me this question the other day, and I didn't have an answer! :D

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's so the people who's idea of relaxation is to clean and polish them on the campsite can see where they've been, and the rest of us know which pitches to avoid parking next to.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Exsis SK and SG were made in White, Silver, Blue and Burgundy.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Does metallic paint weigh more than white?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Because it's the cheapest colour option and also doesn't fade so quickly like a lot of coloured ones do.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
It might change, a few years ago the majority of panel vans were white, now there available in any colour you like.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
......... an almost natural evolution from caravans - which were mostly white.

From my short experience in the plastics industry I seem to remember that producing white "plastic" was far more expensive than producing darker colours....... but that was long ago and technology moves on.

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
Its to make woman feel at home as it matches the other kitchen appliances :D2

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I asked Autotrail this question at the NEC a year or so ago as I was fed up of the black streaks which resulted in me going for the gold Burstner. I have to say I wasn't exactly clear why the reason given meant that the colour had to be white but here is what I recall being told; He said the German (coloured) vans are built around a wooden frame construction whereas the Uk vehicles tend not to be. He then went on to say that the PVC material used by Autotrail is different from that which the German builders use and they can only get the material they use in white. I asked about putting a pigment into the PVC and he said that would be very expensive and painting was not a practical option either. I cant claim to understand why the material differs due to the method of construction but that is what he said.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
I asked Autotrail this question at the NEC a year or so ago as I was fed up of the black streaks which resulted in me going for the gold Burstner. I have to say I wasn't exactly clear why the reason given meant that the colour had to be white but here is what I recall being told; He said the German (coloured) vans are built around a wooden frame construction whereas the Uk vehicles tend not to be. He then went on to say that the PVC material used by Autotrail is different from that which the German builders use and they can only get the material they use in white. I asked about putting a pigment into the PVC and he said that would be very expensive and painting was not a practical option either. I cant claim to understand why the material differs due to the method of construction but that is what he said.

That has to be rubbish! What about the Autotral V Line range? The added high tops are all colour coded to the van, most being dark blue metalic!

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
I remember reading a history of the iconic transit van...Very early on they measured the internal temperature between a white and a dark coloured van at the same time and place...The temperature difference was significant.

So decided the 'standard' would be white...

Reactions: Pia

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back