Who's banging on my van?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by ojibway, Dec 3, 2013.

1. ojibway

ojibway Funster

We were on Calais aire this time last week, parked between two Brit vans.
    About 7pm we decided to warm up a bit and turned on the Eberspacher heater. A few minutes later a bloke in the van on our left bangs on the van wall, twice, to get our attention. We opened the curtain and he asks how long we were going to run the heater.
    Now, is that rude of him or am I being paranoid?
    In my opinion, if you want peace and quiet don't stay on Calais aire!:Rofl1:
    We turned it off at 8.30pm. It's the first time anyone has ever complained about our 'behavior':cry:
    Mike and Annie:Cool::Smile:

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I think you were being very inconsiderate running your heater like that .......

...... you should have used your gennie
    :Wink:

• Like Like x 8
  3. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

Probably just jealous knowing how warm you would have been , if the noise from the heater was worrying him that much then obviously he was parked to close, first thing I do on any site / pitch with especially one with no hookup is firstly get the Eberspacher on I have the D5 in mine, and then stand the generator out in full view, not many will park too close ,a nice bonus. Apart from that how many have noisy dogs or kids running around screaming their heads off, would the same person have a go at them or are they one of these types.If they want complete silence for their stay then surely an aire is not really where they want to be, or indeed on a pitch next to us.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  4. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Must admit it is much noisier than the usual heating . We could hear clearly the heating running in a van two pitches away on a caravan club site last visit.

Didn't say anything but must admit I did hope that they not run it all night which they didn't :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Who's banging on my van

The miserable sob should have more things on his mind than an internal heater in another van at that time of night. Like a glass of wine or two. Did you get his number? Then we can get the boys onto him!:Angry:

6. damar

damar Read Only Funster

We run one of these and yes they are a bit noisy when you first put them on but once temperature is reached they quieten down. We are always try to be considerate to other people, but if it is cold we put the heating on, the people who use generators ( and say they are quite ) don't seem to bother. No you are not being paranoid, just tell him to turn his radio or tv sound up. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. ehuplad

ehuplad Read Only Funster

Get a silencer fitted to it. Could hardly hear ours on the fifth wheel.

• Like Like x 2
  8. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Thinking back to my days as an HGV driver.
    Is it the noise that jacked your neighbour off?
    If these heaters aren't set up right they can give off quite a smelly exhaust.
    Which way did the exhaust point?

Or

Was he just a moaning GIT?

• Like Like x 2
  9. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

All you need to do is chuck a few crumbs or some chips just outside the door and the noise of the marauding gulls in Calais would drown out any other noise:thumb:

10. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

As said earlier, they are noisy on startup but if staying on an aires what can you expect. They could always go to a proper campsite.

11. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

As already mentioned if you are really worried about the "noise " from an Eberspacher / Webasto / Mikuni heaters you can get silencers for the exhaust but most of the noise is actually caused by the combustion air intake but you can also get a muffler for these, in fact most Mikuni's come with one in the kit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. G8WVW

G8WVW Read Only Funster

Could it be your fuel pump clicking?

They are quite loud especially when the rubber mount disintegrates allowing it to drop onto something solid like the chassis. Been meaning to fix mine all summer!

13. buckby

buckby

should have got everest to give him a quote for double glazing good job he wasn't parked next to us with a phsyco dog bounding around the motorhome after his tennis ball.:Rofl1:

14. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I have to admit, my Webasto is quite noisy and I try not to run it late at night. It's not usual for me to be walking around the 'van checking the noise level out!

Once the 'van is nice and warm it does quieten down, but then after a while it kicks back in again....rumble, rumble, clunk.....clunk....clunk :Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  15. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Silence

I doubt anyone on an aire should expect complete silence, I certainly don't, but I do expect others to show a bit of consideration. I don't think anyone should use a generator or anything else which is so loud as to be disturbing to others for any extended period, that goes for aires and campsites too. I would not want little Johny next door banging a drum for ages or next doors dog being left in the van alone to bark incessantly especially when parked close by.

I do think this bloke was being unreasonable if the heater was only just turned on, as to whether he was rude, I don't know, I didn't see is attitude. However, if it was very early morning or then getting late and people were trying to get some sleep, he might have had reason to complain. As it was off by 8.30 pm in this case I don't think he did.

He could always have moved.

I was at Calaise last week and there was certainly room to park a fair distance from anyone else if needed.

16. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Oh please do me a favour if another "moaning git" is being a bit touchy on a quite busy french aire..... try to be french next time (they all seem to be so....confident :Wink::BigGrin:) Just reply : "kess ta troofion? Kass toi tu pu!"
    I have tried to write it so that an English can say it .... but the french "u" has no equivalent

He might think you are just renting an English van!

Don't try to translate .... it's not written properly...just very french!:thumb:

Frankie:Cool:

• Like Like x 4
  17. JJ

JJ Funster

It is always a joy to see (and hear) my Princess vent her fury at petty, moaning motorhomers...

I feel so safe in the Hymer when she is with me... :BigGrin:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 7
  18. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Amazing behaviour

It has been mentioned before about people banging on the side of a van to gain the occupants attention.

Is it just me?

But you are not going to get a positive response from me if it happens on my van. :Angry:

Why do people think that such a aggressive opening salvo is going to receive an answer that they wish to hear. :Eeek:

• Like Like x 4
  19. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

How dare you encourage people to bang on your van it sounds like a bloody great drum, I think an ASBO might be in order.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

20. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

hi.
    As said before,fumes ?,from the exhaust. But if he/they had explained that to you,would it have made any difference. The way they cut in and out,does not help,it's like sleeping in a lorry park,and your friendly neighborhood "Fridge " motor pulls in.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Tea Bag