Which van to convert? High top medium wheel base! (1 Viewer)

Happycoach

Free Member
Feb 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
new to the land of camper vans but familiar with fitting out interior domestic designs. We are seriously looking to experience our own countryside and costal beauty, over extended trips, but which make would you guys suggest as the best host vehicle, looking at crafter, sprinter and master ( merc, vw, Renault/ Vauxhall’s) . Finances dictate host vehicle £5000-£10000, the budget to fit it out, would be above but not massive. Are there any positives and negative experiences you could share to help guide our hunt. thanks in advance

Attachments

• F2032ED8-01CA-4BE5-8014-A8AB9480B97C.jpeg
    F2032ED8-01CA-4BE5-8014-A8AB9480B97C.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 41
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Here is an interesting Blog for you to follow on the converting a New Crafter into a Motor Caravan https://vanwolf.blog/

I've been along the route of converting LWB VW Thansporters five times during the past 14yrs. We've loved them and been all over Europe in them. I'm willing to share any knowledge that may help anyone.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Not considering shorter Ducatos? If you are under 6' tall, you can sleep across a Ducato. Sprinter/Crafter and Master are too narrow. Sleeping transverse opens up a lot of possible layouts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Have a look at diymotorhome.co.uk which is a sister site to this one, may get some ideas from there.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Have you considered a Nissan Elgrand import from Japan. A lot of them come with pop up roof already fitted?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi with your budget I would give the scabby mercs/ VWs a miss unless you are repainting:(Renault are decent size but still above 4 ins narrower than the Fiat stable vans ...as already been said you get a 6 ft 2 ins wide bed across (transversely) which opens up a lot more layouts.My vote goes to Fiat, Citroen or Pugeot

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi & welcome . As big as you can go would be my choise & a full clear head height when insulated.
there you go , i would suggest as small as you can get all you need in, far easier around towns, and narrow roads.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
As others have posted, Merc sprinter & vw crafter (same van, different badge) will be hard to find rust free within your budget

Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer, Citröen Relay are galvanised, wider & a much better shape for conversion.

Personally I went for the Boxer as it has a cam chain rather than the belt of the Ducato (Relay same as Boxer)

There is a choice sizes I decided on the mwb (L2 H2) at 5.5m but the most popular van model is the lwb (L3 H2) at just under 6m

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There is a choice sizes I decided on the mwb (L2 H2) at 5.5m but the most popular van model is the lwb (L3 H2) at just under 6m
I'm looking at similar at the moment & find that it isn't possible to stand up in an H2 ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I was looking at an H2 on a boxer here the other day & we had 1,75cm
My converted van has a ceiling height of 6' 3" (1.9m)

I'm guessing you're very tall?
No only 5'10" , 1,74m but semi high transits my head is touching roof. The boxer I was interested in had a height of 1,75m but was a full insulated van. I'd discounted anything except full height roofs since . & concentrated on ivecos as 99% of them here are full height H4's whereas most Transits,boxers,ducatos ,etc appear to be semis where my head is touching the roof.
Here having conducted a bit of research an
H1 = normal flat roof
H2 = normally comes wit seats & you are doubled over until seated.
H3 = passenger transport ambulance type whereby head is touching the inside of roof at 1,75ish but around 1,83 without any insulation but is not enough to work for me.
H4= 190cm+

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Are you sure about those measurements? My Ducato is a L2H2 (5.4m) and I've got loads of headroom above my 1.7m height.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you get a lot of value for money with an iveco. as mentioned earlier merc/vw rust for fun and at your budget you will be buying trouble

not all fiat engine options have a belt. the 3ltr is the iveco engine with chain

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Hi And Good Luck

As a thought and given other threads on the subject ….. Don't pick a van with a sliding door...
Apart from the "you can never close it quietly) how do you cope with all the heat in the chilly months disappearing out the huge side door in an instant.

3L fiat isn't the most fuel efficient (5,000kg tag at 22mpg) but does the job with ease, no struggle up hill or lack of overtaking power, never been left with the thought I/m rowing this (may be because its an auto so don't need to spend half my time with clutch & gear stick).

(think it time for an old forum smiley) Ahh yes, this one

:reel:

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
H1 = normal flat roof
H2 = normally comes wit seats & you are doubled over until seated.
H3 = passenger transport ambulance type whereby head is touching the inside of roof at 1,75ish but around 1,83 without any insulation but is not enough to work for me.
H4= 190cm+

The 'H's aren't standardised between manufacturers (other than a bigger number = a higher roof) and vary completely between different van models.

Headroom (before conversion) in a Transit "H2" is 1.89m for FWD, or 1.79m for RWD. For a Ducato / Relay / Boxer it is 1.93m. A Sprinter H2 is over 2m (but narrow). You really need to check the details for each model.

There's 1.87m or 6ft 1 1/2" headroom in my H2 Relay after lining & insulation.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Just measured my l3h2 boxer
25mm insulation in floor and roof,6mm ply on roof and 12mm ply on floor plus vinyl and carpet .height is 1.88m ; 6f 2".
Hope its some help.
Cheers Cris.

Jan 30, 2017
swansea
Funster No
MH
self built PVC
Exp
since 2016
Boxer/Ducato/relay L3H2 are ideal and what the majority of most manufacturers use. As said by someone earlier they are the widest of all the panel vans inside so lots of layout options. I went with rear lounge layout which converts into 6’x6’4” bed. When I build my next van I will put fridge above wardrobe as you use the fridge a lot more the wardrobe and my knees are getting on a bit.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Are you sure about those measurements? My Ducato is a L2H2 (5.4m) and I've got loads of headroom above my 1.7m height.
I can only go by what I have seen here. The semi high transits with insulation my head is just touching. Full height insulated rear wdrive enough room.
I looked at another semi high which ticked every box until I got in the rear & by the time floor & roof are insulated/panelled my head would be touching the roof. Problem I have is that many I'm interested in are so far away that I have to rely on phone conversations for measurements.
My existing coach built I have 6'1" at the rear which is ok & 6'5" at the front part.
not all fiat engine options have a belt. the 3ltr is the iveco engine with chain
The older 2,8 is also an iveco engine fitted to citroens & peugeots..

** Hopefully this is all useful to the op:D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
To convince myself I wasn't going mad I've just been to look at a semi high transit. & my head hits the roof, not the roof bracing bars, but the actual roof. So at least I know with transits I have to have a full height

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
….. Don't pick a van with a sliding door...
Apart from the "you can never close it quietly) how do you cope with all the heat in the chilly months disappearing out the huge side door in an instant.

There's a softlock option now on the Fiat/Boxer/etc. base that seems to work, so you get it mostly closed and it gets grabbed and pulled shut - had it on my Hiace too. Developed by a sleepy Fiat engineer no doubt..

The heat loss is a good point but one can always leave by the drivers door (wind permitting - don't try it with a gale blowing from behind the van!). Maybe a case for a thick curtain to block the door when it's cold

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back