Which Sat Nav ????????

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by RS SPIKE, Dec 17, 2015.

1. RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE Funster

I know it's been asked hundreds of times on here,but whats the best for europe ?
    Tom Tom,Garmin,Chinese ??????
    I'm not to worried about weight or length as i'm only 6.1 mts

2. landscaper

landscaper Funster

Tomtom, Tomtom, Tomtom!!! We are on our second - the display is excellent and we have used others and not been unimpressed.

3. RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE Funster

Which model do you have ?

4. MJG1959

MJG1959 Read Only Funster

We are Garmin fans. Our current one is the Garmin Camper with lifetime map updates and lifetime free traffic alerts. It retails at around £250 but we got it at Aldi when it was on a special for £200. It has a large (7 inch) very easy to read touch screen, Bluetooth to pair with your phone. Very intuitive to use. Smaller screen versions without the ability to pre program with your MH or Outfit size can be had for a lot less (there are some good offers on at the mo. with it being xmas).

Our car has sat Nav but TBH we prefer to use the Garmin even without the 'van.

This question will inevitably bring out quite polarised views (Tom Tom v Garmin v iPhone apps v android apps .)

But the Garmin is our preference. I say our because we both rate it better than the one in the car.

Ignore the price on the Garmin site but this is the one we use.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the-road/camper/rv-760lmt/prod135455.html

• Like Like x 2
  5. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    Garmin every time - no contest.

• Like Like x 3
  6. paul18

paul18 Funster

Ditto above

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Isn't there a trucker's one that is good because it takes your dimensions into account and won't send you down skinny lanes? Expensive though

8. Phill D

Phill D

a VERY EXPENSIVE! but excellent Snooper for me had it 6 years now, and it gets regular system updates free. you can also get free lifetime maps at the moment.:xThumb:

Also; have had excellent service from snooper when questions asked:xThumb:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Is that the one for haulage trucks?

10. castor

castor Funster

Snooper for me , also have had excellent back up service , when it turned out to be operator problem.!,great range to suit pocket and extras.

11. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Snooper great bit of kit,also got Garmin which only use in car,also great.and now a 7"Chinese one ,they all do the same job I.e A to B etc.some have more frills than others..Garmin £199 when I bought it ..snooper £399 two years ago and xcody 704 Chinese. £32 .. !!! Used for last six months cant fault it at moment although a bit more difficult to come to terms with the operation it still gets me from A to B without too much problem..

12. Phill D

Phill D

they do a truck nav, but this is motorhome specific where you can set dimensions and weights and it avoids stupid short cuts!

also has all the camper stops, ACSI and many more sites loaded. and can be connected to a rear view camera ( as mine is so nav video normal engage reverse and rear camera come on sat nav screen.

there are others that will do all this and you can upload campsites to other sat navs.

but, its not let me down in the 6 years ive had it.

13. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Got two GARMIN CAMPER, and a smaller one for the car both very good .But my son put me on to SYGIC GPS .for my i phone ,cannot leave it alone find it brilliant cost me £18 Europe for life,up to now in GB great but my son assures me it is just as good in Europe as he has being using it for a couple of years .He uses world wide as he travels a lot. It also works as a cab cam .I must admit i am not too clever Garmin

14. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Not sure what happened there but ,as i said i'm not too clever with the Garmin , Sygic is brilliant for me.lol

15. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

I've always used Garmin, for bike, car and now a Camper 760 for the MH. I've looked at TomTom but Garmin does everything I want and I'm used to the system now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MJG1959

MJG1959 Read Only Funster

That is exactly what the camper one I suggested does. You input your dimensions and weight and it avoids routes where these would be an issue. Some reviewers on Amazon claim it wasn't 100% reliable in doing this but we have not had this happen to us. If used when caravanning you have it in this (RV) mode and if driving solo you just switch to 'car' only mode and it uses the same mapping as it would for any car.

Obviously when in a MH you use it in RV mode all the time, using the dimensions you have previously entered and saved.

• Like Like x 1
  17. etap

etap

RSSpike,
    We have used a TomTom start 25 with free Europe map updates for life cost about £100. As long as you don't follow the thing down rediculous narrow lanes it's fine, was going to spend a lot more but a trucker told me not to waste money as his still sends him down silly roads our MH is 6.7metres, so short enough to travel on almost any roads anywhere.

18. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Garmin by a mile , I now have the latest Garmin Navtex from cclub offer, brilliant bit of kit.

19. landscaper

landscaper Funster

Tomtom Go live 750

20. RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE Funster

My i phone maps are brilliant but when in Europe costs a fortune in data!!