RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
I know it's been asked hundreds of times on here,but whats the best for europe ?
Tom Tom,Garmin,Chinese ??????
I'm not to worried about weight or length as i'm only 6.1 mts

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Tomtom, Tomtom, Tomtom!!! We are on our second - the display is excellent and we have used others and not been unimpressed.

Upvote 0

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
I know it's been asked hundreds of times on here,but whats the best for europe ?
Tom Tom,Garmin,Chinese ??????
I'm not to worried about weight or length as i'm only 6.1 mts

We are Garmin fans. Our current one is the Garmin Camper with lifetime map updates and lifetime free traffic alerts. It retails at around £250 but we got it at Aldi when it was on a special for £200. It has a large (7 inch) very easy to read touch screen, Bluetooth to pair with your phone. Very intuitive to use. Smaller screen versions without the ability to pre program with your MH or Outfit size can be had for a lot less (there are some good offers on at the mo. with it being xmas).

Our car has sat Nav but TBH we prefer to use the Garmin even without the 'van.

This question will inevitably bring out quite polarised views (Tom Tom v Garmin v iPhone apps v android apps .)

But the Garmin is our preference. I say our because we both rate it better than the one in the car.

Ignore the price on the Garmin site but this is the one we use.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the-road/camper/rv-760lmt/prod135455.html

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Isn't there a trucker's one that is good because it takes your dimensions into account and won't send you down skinny lanes? Expensive though

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
a VERY EXPENSIVE! but excellent Snooper for me had it 6 years now, and it gets regular system updates free. you can also get free lifetime maps at the moment.:xThumb:

Also; have had excellent service from snooper when questions asked:xThumb:

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Is that the one for haulage trucks?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

castor

Free Member
Jan 15, 2014
Reguiny France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Artic T71.LP
Exp
Snooper for me , also have had excellent back up service , when it turned out to be operator problem.!,great range to suit pocket and extras.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
a VERY EXPENSIVE! but excellent Snooper for me had it 6 years now, and it gets regular system updates free. you can also get free lifetime maps at the moment.:xThumb:

Snooper great bit of kit,also got Garmin which only use in car,also great.and now a 7"Chinese one ,they all do the same job I.e A to B etc.some have more frills than others..Garmin £199 when I bought it ..snooper £399 two years ago and xcody 704 Chinese. £32 .. !!! Used for last six months cant fault it at moment although a bit more difficult to come to terms with the operation it still gets me from A to B without too much problem..

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Is that the one for haulage trucks?

they do a truck nav, but this is motorhome specific where you can set dimensions and weights and it avoids stupid short cuts!

also has all the camper stops, ACSI and many more sites loaded. and can be connected to a rear view camera ( as mine is so nav video normal engage reverse and rear camera come on sat nav screen.

there are others that will do all this and you can upload campsites to other sat navs.

but, its not let me down in the 6 years ive had it.

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Got two GARMIN CAMPER, and a smaller one for the car both very good .But my son put me on to SYGIC GPS .for my i phone ,cannot leave it alone find it brilliant cost me £18 Europe for life,up to now in GB great but my son assures me it is just as good in Europe as he has being using it for a couple of years .He uses world wide as he travels a lot. It also works as a cab cam .I must admit i am not too clever Garmin

Upvote 0

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I've always used Garmin, for bike, car and now a Camper 760 for the MH. I've looked at TomTom but Garmin does everything I want and I'm used to the system now.

Upvote 0

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Isn't there a trucker's one that is good because it takes your dimensions into account and won't send you down skinny lanes? Expensive though

That is exactly what the camper one I suggested does. You input your dimensions and weight and it avoids routes where these would be an issue. Some reviewers on Amazon claim it wasn't 100% reliable in doing this but we have not had this happen to us. If used when caravanning you have it in this (RV) mode and if driving solo you just switch to 'car' only mode and it uses the same mapping as it would for any car.

Obviously when in a MH you use it in RV mode all the time, using the dimensions you have previously entered and saved.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
RSSpike,
We have used a TomTom start 25 with free Europe map updates for life cost about £100. As long as you don't follow the thing down rediculous narrow lanes it's fine, was going to spend a lot more but a trucker told me not to waste money as his still sends him down silly roads our MH is 6.7metres, so short enough to travel on almost any roads anywhere.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Garmin by a mile , I now have the latest Garmin Navtex from cclub offer, brilliant bit of kit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
Got two GARMIN CAMPER, and a smaller one for the car both very good .But my son put me on to SYGIC GPS .for my i phone ,cannot leave it alone find it brilliant cost me £18 Europe for life,up to now in GB great but my son assures me it is just as good in Europe as he has being using it for a couple of years .He uses world wide as he travels a lot. It also works as a cab cam .I must admit i am not too clever Garmin
My i phone maps are brilliant but when in Europe costs a fortune in data!!

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We also have had the snooper a few years now and are very happy with it, only fault we found was the speaker/volume not that good. We brought an external speaker the size of a large golf ball and it plugs in to snooper giving a clearer sound and easier to hear. Stuck the speaker to the dash with some Velcro.

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If you already have a small tablet, get CoPilot Truck. Flexible with no commitment to one piece of hardware, great navigation and take your tablet anywhere, for anything and still plan a route, add a POI or whatever.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
If you already have a small tablet, get CoPilot Truck. Flexible with no commitment to one piece of hardware, great navigation and take your tablet anywhere, for anything and still plan a route, add a POI or whatever.
I take it that's a App??
Will that not require data or wifi to use the function??

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Nobody seems to have mentioned the Chinese ones. These are at least as good (I find better) as the Garmin/Tom Tom. The truck versions allow you to input your vehicle dimensions (not only weight and length but, more crucially height! so avoiding bridges tyat you cannot fit under-e.g. Rouen). They do all this at a fraction of the cost and with free maps. Excellent

Wyn

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
Nobody seems to have mentioned the Chinese ones. These are at least as good (I find better) as the Garmin/Tom Tom. The truck versions allow you to input your vehicle dimensions (not only weight and length but, more crucially height! so avoiding bridges tyat you cannot fit under-e.g. Rouen). They do all this at a fraction of the cost and with free maps. Excellent

Wyn

Have you any makes or model numbers ?

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
NozzaTek is the only one I know by name but I suspect they are all the same but each can be a truck or a car version.

There have been so many funsters posting about how satisfied they are.

I have a Garmin in the car which I used before the chinese satnav but will replace it when it gives uo the ghost.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

We have this one too. Large screen is ideal as is the database of all ACSI, club and numerous other campsites.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back