Which home to buy? (2 Viewers)

Apr 29, 2016
Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 9
Exp
23 years
I wish you all the best, as to insulation the Germans have that in spades, cheap 2nd hand LMC or Joint are good enough and if bought in Germany will be left hd.
I did the same though without the dream in 2004, after a year or more exploring EU and Morocco settled on France, a lot has changed in France since then (politics, economy and climate) and I'm not so convinced now, I chose SW France which is too dry and too hot in summer now, so if was to start again I might choose Jura or Alsace for a more comfortable climate. I don't know how old you are but 3 to 4 acres is ruddy hard work when its 36 degrees out. Welcome to the fun and keep us all posted as to your progress and finding your Nirvana, which might be somewhere near Varna in Bulgaria.

Jul 22, 2017
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Starting to understand
Welcome. it's a super dream n hope it does come true for you. Good luck, will follow this story with interest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The Continental Motorhomes are warmer, in my experience. We motorhome all the year round and our last motorhome, a Laika was really warm.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This whole thread makes me wonder if he’s been reincarnated ......... :wink:
Well before he/ she paid the dues I thought it was a wind up, now I just don't know what to think.
Be interesting if it is on the level, but he/ she just havnt got a clue what's involved, and it looks like a very long road.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Thank you so much everyone....

I had to go to town and I was passing a motorhome dealership, decided to pop in and view my first motor home! I think I'm going to love this adventure....OMG! They are amazing!

I was looking at a second hand Deffless costing £58,000, a salesman came over and asked what i was looking for, I said im not really sure, but what ever I buy I would like a composting toilet fitted.. He looked me up and down and said not something id be interested in.... So I said, well would you know anyone who could replace the Thetford... No as I say I wouldnt want it done....
However...... Drumroll! Burstner? Are bringing out a new model next year with a composting toilet from Thetford not as good as some on the market. But they have had to accomodate them..... drum roll..... Dur to popular demand..... We'll not be having any of them here!

And that is my propblem with dealers...... But the Burnster OMG! like a posh London apartment!

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
I wish you all the best, as to insulation the Germans have that in spades, cheap 2nd hand LMC or Joint are good enough and if bought in Germany will be left hd.
I did the same though without the dream in 2004, after a year or more exploring EU and Morocco settled on France, a lot has changed in France since then (politics, economy and climate) and I'm not so convinced now, I chose SW France which is too dry and too hot in summer now, so if was to start again I might choose Jura or Alsace for a more comfortable climate. I don't know how old you are but 3 to 4 acres is ruddy hard work when its 36 degrees out. Welcome to the fun and keep us all posted as to your progress and finding your Nirvana, which might be somewhere near Varna in Bulgaria.

Well i think it may well be cruese, these visions are not slight! I do have more information, namely the number 23 wll have something to do with the house (Creuse dept 23) my dead hubby told me to look out for a white cadillac... Thats in Aquitane.. And Cruese i read is the equivalent to the English lake district.... Im so excited, I was scared of looking at motorhomes, incase i didnt like them.... which would have posed a serious stumbling block to the dream!

I am 54.... And everyone I ever cared about has died.... They are now talking to me through visions.... Unfortunately i cant translate exactly what they are trying to say....

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well i think it may well be cruese, these visions are not slight! I do have more information, namely the number 23 wll have something to do with the house (Creuse dept 23) my dead hubby told me to look out for a white cadillac... Thats in Aquitane.. And Cruese i read is the equivalent to the English lake district.... Im so excited, I was scared of looking at motorhomes, incase i didnt like them.... which would have posed a serious stumbling block to the dream!

I am 54.... And everyone I ever cared about has died.... They are now talking to me through visions.... Unfortunately i cant translate exactly what they are trying to say....
Ok so you are a lady then, and we now have some idea where you are heading, you didn't even know if it was France at the start, so advice might now be coming.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Ok so you are a lady then, and we now have some idea where you are heading, you didn't even know if it was France at the start, so advice might now be coming.

I still do not know if it is France, for something interestng came to my attention in the wiles of wanney in Portugal! but until I see the rosebushes i will not have a bloody clue! but there will be a trout river and no close neighbours!

The Laika looks so similar to the deffless, but they do not appear to come with solar panels or any extras...... This is a serious business this Motorhoming! Second hand is clearly the way to go. IMHO

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I still do not know if it is France, for something interestng came to my attention in the wiles of wanney in Portugal! but until I see the rosebushes i will not have a bloody clue! but there will be a trout river and no close neighbours!

The Laika looks so similar to the deffless, but they do not appear to come with solar panels or any extras...... This is a serious business this Motorhoming! Second hand is clearly the way to go. IMHO
You will get far more for your money second hand as a lot of extras will have been added along the way, such as solar (y) :giggle:

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings brave lady, welcome from West Kent.

Good luck with your vision wherever it may take you.
Please post your journey, through finding the van, and your search for the yellow rose bush. Its a wonderful interesting post. No politics,racism just genuine questions. I hope that you find a compatible driver.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006

Can I ask if you have done any motor-homing before ?
If not it would be worth hiring one for a week or two to see how you take to them.

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Can I ask if you have done any motor-homing before ?
If not it would be worth hiring one for a week or two to see how you take to them.
I have never done it before! I am even frightened of thinking about driving off... Knowing myself? if i go away for a week and am frightened? i will not be able to go through with this..... So my intention is to have the motorhome delivered, fully finished, with gas, solar, Composting toilet, all papers etc in place... When I hand the keys over to this place, I will have no choice! I will have no home other than the motor home! :oops::oops:

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
What about this, everything you need apart from the toilet which would be just a matter of shoving one in, in place of the one it's got.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=184378359356
Thank you, it is not big enough, (there may be someone else coming) the one I was shown is much larger and white! I have to have a fixed bed, as the only people who have any idea where the hell I'm going, only let me know while I'm asleep.... I REALLY NEED a good bed.... If only when this proves so overwhelming I can crawl under the covers and cry.
Thank you so much for looking though.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thank you, it is not big enough, (there may be someone else coming) the one I was shown is much larger and white! I have to have a fixed bed, as the only people who have any idea where the hell I'm going, only let me know while I'm asleep.... I REALLY NEED a good bed.... If only when this proves so overwhelming I can crawl under the covers and cry.
Thank you so much for looking though.
Just a small tip, if this is going to be your only vehicle, you don't want one that is too big to get you into towns and shop carparks, ok iknow it's possible but finding somewhere to park can be a bit of a bind.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I have never done it before! I am even frightened of thinking about driving off... Knowing myself? if i go away for a week and am frightened? i will not be able to go through with this..... So my intention is to have the motorhome delivered, fully finished, with gas, solar, Composting toilet, all papers etc in place... When I hand the keys over to this place, I will have no choice! I will have no home other than the motor home! :oops::oops:
Sorry that sounds like going sky diving without taking the lessons first
Its a steep learning curve for most to begin with
Most full timers have some sort of plan B even if its just postal address etc

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
I had decided once contracts were exchanged on my house, to speak with one of the French legals over here. As everything is changing with Brexit, I decided the last 2 weeks before setting off, advice would still be applicable... I think I too am headed that way!
I believe I may have problems with the french residency initially, as I will have no address over here either, which may pose a few problems. But until i exchange, im not worrying.....
Incidentally, I hope your not looking at Leggetts estate agents! they set prices for us mugs to pay. There are other sites out there, with far better and cheaper properties... IMHO
[/QUOT

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Just a small tip, if this is going to be your only vehicle, you don't want one that is too big to get you into towns and shop carparks, ok iknow it's possible but finding somewhere to park can be a bit of a bind.
I know you are so right! im thinking of getting a pedal bike for shop visits... But only thinking about it... But you have hit on my biggest doubt of all. Thank you for reminding me x

OP
OP
G

Going Nowhere

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Sorry that sounds like going sky diving without taking the lessons first
Its a steep learning curve for most to begin with
Most full timers have some sort of plan B even if its just postal address etc

I know you are right! But there is no plan B. I plan on taking a test drive, and considering what it will cost? its gonna have to be more than a mile...

We are all of us capable of so much more than we realise. Things come up in everybody's life, which until they arise, we never think we can do..... But we are all of us quite amazing, for when push comes to shove, we are all of us very seldom stuck... Peed off, annoyed, but somehow we always can do....
I'm going with that thought in mind!

After all, im going on the biggest adventure of my life, with the weirdest navigators in history :LOL:

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
After all, im going on the biggest adventure of my life, with the weirdest navigators in history :LOL:
It`s going to be an entertaining journey, certainly for us, good luck and be sure to keep us posted.
If you find a motorhome you like, post a link on here and you will get some useful advice (y)

Apr 29, 2016
Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 9
Exp
23 years

Creuse is cool, closer to the coast, more Devon than lake district, green rolling hills etc.. The reasons for my choices were ski and motorcycle driven hence near the Pyrenees in Nouvelle Aquitaine. So sad that you lost so many people, same here, there's a lot of it about :-(. Motorhomes are brilliant, the freedom to move wherever (not under lockdown) and if u get bored of a view you can turn it round or move up the road, the "aire de service camping car" here in France was another plus for me, the freedom to roam without the need to book anything. As to buying one and travelling in hot places, make sure it has an awning so you can get out of the van during the day, cabin fever can be an issue. Good luck and keep looking, there are some amazing vans about. Small word of warning, don't do what I did, I bought a brand new van and got on a ferry and there were a few niggles/faults that I wish I had got sorted before running for the hills.

Apr 29, 2016
Aquitaine, France
Funster No
MH
Kentucky Estro 9
Exp
23 years
PS. Get an outside gas BBQ outlet and 2/3 ring portable gas hob, when it is 30+ degrees you do not want to cook in the van.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I read an article recently in MMM about a new MotorhomeFun toilet that burns the solid waste. I think they are called Cinderella incinerator toilets and can be fitted in motorhomes

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Well before he/ she paid the dues I thought it was a wind up, now I just don't know what to think.
Be interesting if it is on the level, but he/ she just havnt got a clue what's involved, and it looks like a very long road.
WIND-UP ME THINKS😊😊😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back