Which dongle!

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Wurn, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Wurn

Wurn Read Only Funster

Hi all, which is the best dongle for coverage in France, Italy and Sicily? I would prefer a "pay as you go", but I know some of these are time limited.I read the thread on the Argos deal but wasnt sure if it was suitable!Confused:Eek!:
    Cheers Paul.

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi, the simple answer is none, whilst 3 is currently £10 a gig in the UK, roaming charges are £10 a meg.
    the cost is similar with all suppliers having similar charges. The best way to get internet abroad is either an internet cafe, or wifi (McDonalds), you might get a good roaming deal on your phone and be able to use that for access but I doubt it.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes, agree with wildman .. .best to use free wifi

however, there was a post on here couple of days ago (try a search ) about a service called abroadband

data is 59p mb ..

4. keith

keith Funster

5. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Hi Wurn,

France, if using camp sites, most have wifi, some are free, some charge, but its cheaper than UK roaming charges. Free access is also available at the local Bibliotch's (library), and as already said, McDonalds and other coffee houses are offering free wifi, but usually unsecured networks.....so no banking actions at these locations, go to a library.

For Italy and Sicily, sorry can't help, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

Nomadic

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

thats still £590 per gig if my maths are correct

7. scotjimland

best be careful then Roger .. you don't want a big bill .. :Wink:

I made a small error .. it's only 59c per mb, (not pence) :Laughing::Laughing:

Me ? I wouldn't use a dongle abroad .. I have Hawking Dish and there are plenty of open wifi to use :Wink:

8. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I use a dongle which I unlocked, or sometimes just change the sim in my phone which is also unlocked.

In Netherlands I use either Vodafone which used to be €9.50 for 30 days or 1Gb, whichever came first, but they reduced the allowance to 500mb and now it is only 250mb.

T-Mobile in Holland offers "unlimited" connection for €2.50 per day. It is slow, but it is unlimited, I have friends who downloaded over 2Gb without disconnection.:thumb:

In Belgium I use a "BASE" sim card. It is €10 for 500 mb, valid 30 days.

These are all good for checking e-mail, chatting on YM or Motorhome Fun, and a bit of surfing.

In Germany Phonex is not too bad, I'm still trying to find the best PAYG sim for France. The inital cost of the sim is the biggest expense in France.

But of course, free wi-fi on sites, at McDonalds or using a USB Wifi antenna is cool because it's free, but its not always available.

Tonight I'm currently in Dunkirk but using a BASE Belgian sim card as the border is not so far way, I'm picking up the signal.......

Cheers...
    Ca:thumb:llum

9. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

If you have a '3' dongle i believe connection in italy is included in your allowance, ring them and check
    from '3's website
    A bonus with 3's mobile broadband packages is the ability to use them abroad (in selected countries) at no extra cost. Connect to the 3 networks in Austria, Australia, Denmark, Italy, Ireland, Hong Kong, or Sweden and you can use your inclusive data allowance. Other countries carry a charge.
    http://www.mobilebroadbandinfo.co.uk/3-mobile-mobile-broadband-bestbuys.php

T-mobile have a euro-booster for roaming in europe you pay £40 which gives you 200mb - by far the cheapest paid roaming deal i have found so far and it covers our european countries.
    http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/boosters/eurobroadband/

Or as others have said MacDonalds, libraries, campsites or internet cafes.

10. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

JIM are you serious.......for 200mb.......118 euros..... Now a Welsh friend of ours has just left our house and on his way back to the UK after coming back from Spain..........Both of them speak no French........He purchased his in CITE EUROPE at Calais in SFR shop a dongle and his first top up...(when he went down to Spain)........then he just tops when required.....that is 15 euros for 200mb....so it is a pay as you go.....top up when required....they sorted it all out for him in the shop................... that has got to be cheaper than ABROADBAND...118 euros for 200mb...OR Chatters £40 T-mobile have a euro-booster for roaming in europe you pay £40 for 200mb thats about 50 euros on the exchange.......all I can say you Brits and Scots Know how to spend....it seems the Welsh know a thing or to about money....being canny......I thought there was a credit crunch in the Uk and all belts needing tightning..............wow:Eeek::Doh:

Mel

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  11. Heyupluv

To true Roger....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Eeek::Doh::cry:

Mel:thumb:

12. scotjimland

I posted a link I saw on another thread .. Fact.

I DO NOT advocate using ANY dongle abroad, I do NOT recommend any provider, nor do I make commission from Abroadband or have had any dealings finacial or otherwise with this company .. Fact

USE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION >>> AFTER INVESTIGATING THE COST

I do hope that is clear now

13. Heyupluv

OOOOOOOPS............sorry Jim:Blush:

Mel