Which dongle! (1 Viewer)

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Hi all, which is the best dongle for coverage in France, Italy and Sicily? I would prefer a "pay as you go", but I know some of these are time limited.I read the thread on the Argos deal but wasnt sure if it was suitable!Confused:whatthe:
Cheers Paul.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi, the simple answer is none, whilst 3 is currently £10 a gig in the UK, roaming charges are £10 a meg.
the cost is similar with all suppliers having similar charges. The best way to get internet abroad is either an internet cafe, or wifi (McDonalds), you might get a good roaming deal on your phone and be able to use that for access but I doubt it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
yes, agree with wildman .. .best to use free wifi

however, there was a post on here couple of days ago (try a search ) about a service called Link Removed

data is 59p mb ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi Wurn,

France, if using camp sites, most have wifi, some are free, some charge, but its cheaper than UK roaming charges. Free access is also available at the local Bibliotch's (library), and as already said, McDonalds and other coffee houses are offering free wifi, but usually unsecured networks.....so no banking actions at these locations, go to a library.

For Italy and Sicily, sorry can't help, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

Nomadic

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

however, there was a post on here couple of days ago (try a search ) about a service called Link Removed

data is 59p mb ..
thats still £590 per gig if my maths are correct

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thats still £590 per gig if my maths are correct

best be careful then Roger .. you don't want a big bill .. :winky:

I made a small error .. it's only 59c per mb, (not pence) :roflmto::roflmto:

Me ? I wouldn't use a dongle abroad .. I have Hawking Dish and there are plenty of open wifi to use :winky:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I use a dongle which I unlocked, or sometimes just change the sim in my phone which is also unlocked.

In Netherlands I use either Vodafone which used to be €9.50 for 30 days or 1Gb, whichever came first, but they reduced the allowance to 500mb and now it is only 250mb.

T-Mobile in Holland offers "unlimited" connection for €2.50 per day. It is slow, but it is unlimited, I have friends who downloaded over 2Gb without disconnection.:thumb:

In Belgium I use a "BASE" sim card. It is €10 for 500 mb, valid 30 days.

These are all good for checking e-mail, chatting on YM or Motorhome Fun, and a bit of surfing.

In Germany Phonex is not too bad, I'm still trying to find the best PAYG sim for France. The inital cost of the sim is the biggest expense in France.

But of course, free wi-fi on sites, at McDonalds or using a USB Wifi antenna is cool because it's free, but its not always available.

Tonight I'm currently in Dunkirk but using a BASE Belgian sim card as the border is not so far way, I'm picking up the signal.......

Cheers...
Ca:thumb:llum

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
If you have a '3' dongle i believe connection in italy is included in your allowance, ring them and check
from '3's website
A bonus with 3's mobile broadband packages is the ability to use them abroad (in selected countries) at no extra cost. Connect to the 3 networks in Austria, Australia, Denmark, Italy, Ireland, Hong Kong, or Sweden and you can use your inclusive data allowance. Other countries carry a charge.
Link Removed

T-mobile have a euro-booster for roaming in europe you pay £40 which gives you 200mb - by far the cheapest paid roaming deal i have found so far and it covers our european countries.
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/boosters/eurobroadband/

Or as others have said MacDonalds, libraries, campsites or internet cafes.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

data is 59p mb ..

JIM are you serious.......for 200mb.......118 euros..... Now a Welsh friend of ours has just left our house and on his way back to the UK after coming back from Spain..........Both of them speak no French........He purchased his in CITE EUROPE at Calais in SFR shop a dongle and his first top up...(when he went down to Spain)........then he just tops when required.....that is 15 euros for 200mb....so it is a pay as you go.....top up when required....they sorted it all out for him in the shop................... that has got to be cheaper than ABROADBAND...118 euros for 200mb...OR Chatters £40 T-mobile have a euro-booster for roaming in europe you pay £40 for 200mb thats about 50 euros on the exchange.......all I can say you Brits and Scots Know how to spend....it seems the Welsh know a thing or to about money....being canny......I thought there was a credit crunch in the Uk and all belts needing tightning..............wow:Eeek::Doh:

Mel

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I posted a link I saw on another thread .. Fact.

I DO NOT advocate using ANY dongle abroad, I do NOT recommend any provider, nor do I make commission from Abroadband or have had any dealings finacial or otherwise with this company .. Fact

USE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION >>> AFTER INVESTIGATING THE COST

I do hope that is clear now

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I posted a link I saw on another thread .. Fact.

I DO NOT advocate using ANY dongle abroad, I do NOT recommend any provider, nor do I make commission from Abroadband or have had any dealings finacial or otherwise with this company .. Fact

USE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION >>> AFTER INVESTIGATING THE COST

I do hope that is clear now

OOOOOOOPS............sorry Jim:Blush:

Mel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back