Where can I buy one of these 40mm tank connectors? (1 Viewer)

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I've had a look at CAK Tanks and I've trawled around the pond shops. Google search doesn't seem to help and there are no manufacturers markings.

The internal diameter of the threaded part is 40mm. The external of the non threaded is 40mm the length of each is 40mm.

This is "nut in tank" connector for the heated waste tank on my Knaus PVC. It sheared off last summer and I cobbled together several connectors purchased from a pond shop. This has held up surprisingly well and does the job but I'm sort of on a mission to locate the correct bit as it's bugging me that I can't find it. I even stopped off at a few Knaus dealers in Germany but they hadn't seen anything like it (the van is only a couple of years old) so they were no help. Last resort is a chat with Knaus I guess, but that seems like cheating :)

If anyone has seen something similar and can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. (y)

image2 (2).jpeg

image1.jpeg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a pond/aquarium shop will have them on the shelf and cheaper than any motorhome accessory place

OP
OP
BwB

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Thank you for the replies.
Have been to several pond shops over the last 12 months but no similar single piece products beyond what I cobbled together already.
The domestic type plumbing suppliers I've tried (and those suggested above) can't help either. :confused: There are plenty of 40mm pipe/tank fittings, but haven't found any with the same length as the broken unit. Most have a quite short threaded section and my one needs the 40mm length too as a pipe fits both sides of the tank fitting (the pictures above don't show the nut on the threaded part which also has a pipe fitted after the nut has been tightened).
Thanks for the suggestions (y)

Ivor Lock

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Don'town one now.
Exp
Since 2012
Try a firm called Irrigationonline.co.uk. they have bulkhead fittings which will do the same job, and will be easier to come by. If necessary you can open the hole with a half round file as the coupling has sealng rings. It does not have to be threaded on both ends..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Thanks
Reactions: BwB
OP
OP
BwB

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Had a look at the Floplast connectors but not suitable, unfortunately. It doesn't reduce like the original does from 40mm external to 40mm internal. Also the length of thread isn't long enough for the nut and pipe to attach to that side :oops:

Went through the Irrigation online products. One product is very close but same problem with the 40mm internal/external in the correct orientation. I don't think the flange is big enough but I could fix that by making a larger plastic washer. So near yet so far :crying1:

Very frustrating. Appreciate all the pointers thank you (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Had a look at the Floplast connectors but not suitable, unfortunately. It doesn't reduce like the original does from 40mm external to 40mm internal. Also the length of thread isn't long enough for the nut and pipe to attach to that side
I think you’ll find that it will take a floplast 40mm pipe as it is a thicker walled pipe you may need to replace the pipe as well.?

OP
OP
BwB

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Have looke at adapting the system to an alternative connector but I can't change the pipes which go to and from this connector as one side in a fixed "heating" pipe inside the waste tank and the pipe going to the outside of the tank is a sort of double pipe from the Truma heater (transporting hot air to the inside of the waste tank). An interesting Knaus solution to the problem of keeping outside tanks warm :)

Maybe I'll have to keep my current "fix" and keep the broken bit with me on travels and keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks for the suggestions

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
now I am not in any way trying to be rude. Are you certain it is 40mm metric thread? and not 1 1/4 inch bsp, which is 39mm outside diameter

OP
OP
BwB

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Both of those (above two posts) look very similar to what I am after but the main difference is the internal diameter change from one side to the other which is necessary for the two different pipes to fit.

I'm no expert on thread sizes or types (I'm not even slightly knowledgeable) so it's difficult without having the parts physically in my hand to compare. But, on this occasion it's going from 40mm outer diameter on one side to 40mm inside which I think is important to get the pipes fitting.

Thanks

(( Could this be a good excuse to get myself a 3D printer :) ))

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the reason i asked about exact thread size is there are standard parts with bsp thread that match your broken part. 40mm metric thread is rare and expensive so in my opinion an unlikely choice by the van builder

OP
OP
BwB

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
OK, yes, understand what you're saying about the thread but I'm not knowledgable about that sort of thing so don't know what type it is. However, The thread (with it's nut) is just used for clamping this part to the tank. Nothing else uses the thread as a thread. The other pipes are push in and push on with clamps. It's an odd set up. So,, possibly, any thread standard would work as it's the pipe diameters and length of the fitting either side of the tightened nut. But I may be wrong :)

Kraken - the hull fittings are, again, close but don't have the tank/hull skin clamp in the middle but at one end. I've have a look through all the fittings and can't see anything suitable even with a bit of fettling with a Dremel. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
A couple of thoughts...

a. Would 3D printing be capable of something like this? ( probably using a sledgehammer to crack a nut)

b. If internal diameter is not critical, could you find a piece of tubing or pipe that would fit through the length of the broken fitting internally as a strengthener and then glue or solvent weld together.

c. If you could find a piece of material (plastic, brass, aluminium) large enough, could someone with a lathe turn one up for you?

Good luck.

Barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back