Wheel chocks and those yellow levelling things.

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Hollyberry, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Hi everyone. Another question.
    Not happy about my ability (or non-ability) to use the yellow levelling things--can I live without them?
    Also, as my car is going to be stored in friend's barn for about 3 months, SIL has said to park it with handbrake off --fair enough. If I am parking the m/home up at The Chicken Run for a couple of months, should I do the same? Leave handbrake off, (in gear?) and use wheel chocks? If so, any particular sort ?

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

You can live without the yellow levelling blocks as long as you are comfortable not being always exactly level. If there is much of a slope the yellow levellers don't give enough lift to be helpful.
    There are some black blocks that are much better however these are large and quite heavy to store. I did have a set but flogged them to another funster at one of the rallies, much preferring the liberated space to the ramps.

3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The other question. It is a good idea to leave the handbrake off if storing for a while as it can sometimes stick on. I usually forget but it has always released as soon as I move, this may not be the case with drum brakes though (mine are discs on the back). Some recommend wedging the clutch pedal down, as apparently the strain on the release mechanism is less damaging than the possibility of uneven corrosion of the clutch disc. Obvioously if you did this then it would serve no purpose leaving it in gear so chocks would be needed.
    It probably matters little if you use proper chocks or just bricks, they will all stop you moving.
    I don't do any of these things however, just move the van, even if only a few yards every week or so, better still go away in it:Smile:

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If you're going to leave the vehicle stationary for a few months you should make sure that it is as level as possible. :thumb:

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

If your not level your fridge will deteriorate over time as the ammonia separates. This leaves your fridge useless eventually. None of the habitation appliances like working off level apart from that the water doesn't go down the plugholes.
    Have seen some MHs so far off level I don't know how they sleep.

6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

If you are getting leveling blocks I would get the black ones, they are slightly wider, without them you are quite tied to where you can park, also if you are wild camping they are a lot more discreet than the yellow ones. If our van is not level after a while it can feel quite disconcerting.

7. wander

wander Read Only Funster

My drive is about a 20+ degree slope so I have no choice but to leave the handbrake on, I don't think I would risk chocks on a 3.5 ton vehicle with that slope unless anyone has any ideas as to an alternative. Helpful suggestions would be appreciated (and no, moving house is not an option!)

8. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Square wheels may help:Doh:

• Like Like x 2
  9. acting_strange

acting_strange

Take the wheels off....:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

One major problem regarding not having your vehicle level is:-

Your glass of wine will topple over.

Disaster.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Clive have you considered chocking the wheels and then leaving it in gear. I would have thought that was better than leaving the handbrake on for a long time (month or more)

12. RKE

RKE Read Only Funster

The slope of my drive is a little less than 20 deg.......... but a slope all the same.....

I reverse on the drive......chock the two back wheels, and let the vehicle rest on the chocks...... fix the 'bulldog' wheel clamp..... release the handbrake and put the vehicle in neutral.
    Never had a problem with this method, and there is no strain on the gear train and the handbrake will not 'stick on'.....
    Just remember to put the handbrake on before you take the wheel clamp and rear chocks away when you want to move off :BigGrin:

13. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

It still applies but it is an RV rather than a motorhome

I never leave the handbrake (foot operated in a yank) fully on.. just move it so the electric switch allows me to operate the slideout (there is a switch that has to be shut to enable the power to go tot he slide out in case you wonder what I am talking about)..

There is a real chance the hand brake will not release after a period applied, especially if on any gradient. Found that out to my cost many years ago with a 4 wheel trailer. I now always park my 4 wheel car trailer on my drive without the handbrake on and chock the wheels... but back to the motorhome.....

American RV's being automatics, means we tend to park them in P rather than N.. so we are using the gear box as a brake. But if on site while I am up on the yellow ramps I always use the big black chocks.. made by Selly ...yes heavy but they work. Lets say I have drive up on to a yellow ramp (back wheels (double wheels) - so two ramps side by side say on nearside.. I then get Sue ..SWMBO ..co-pilot to take one of the chocks and put it behind the front wheel.... (we carry two in case we have to use ramps both side ..we also carry 4 large yellow ramps) .. I hold the RV on the ramps with the footbrake while the chock is placed behind the wheel and then take the foot of the footbrake so it settles, then sellect park .. and turn off... if it was a manual transmission I would have turn off the engine then selected a gear.... The RV settles and stays put on the yellow ramps.

We check by a couple of methords if level.. does the fridge door stay open in the middle and as we have a rear bathroom does that door stay open in the middle... we have a couple of spirit level to confirm, but to be honest these days I can tell nearly always as I drive up a ramp where I need to hold.. not often I am out.

If need be I can use my air suspension and level up side to side ... but many RV's have 3 or 4 level jacks to do it all at a push of a switch. As I do not have a complete auto level kit fitted I still use the yellow things (Ramps) and they work just fine for me.

Remember if you have a tow bar you can always put a jack under it and that will A) steady the vehicle B) also level it a bit.... I do this on the RV, I also have a jack under my electric door step to do so there and two slide out jacks to support (not jack) the slide out.. this gives me a very firm and stable RV. There is a lot anyone can do to make there motorhome level.. you do need to think about the fridge as they can act up if not level.

Hope that helps

Bob

14. wander

wander Read Only Funster

Quote...... fix the 'bulldog' wheel clamp.....

Sorry, but what is a bulldog wheel clamp?

When we get back home I'll try chocking the wheels and taking the handbrake off but I'm a bit nervous of that, our drive consists of fairly smooth Spanish paving slabs.

15. slobadoberbob

iit is a make of wheelclamp

Iy is a make of wheelclamp and often when a wheelclamp is fixed on to the wheel by it's nature it can act as a chock and stop a vehicle rolling.

On my 4 wheel car trailer I have a straight bar that locks on to two of my studs (special studs) and the bar can turn only so far until it hits the ground so it cannot move off on it's own.. but I also have a couple bricks front and rear of one set of wheels.. the bar is one of several anti theft devices I use... the Bull dog mentioned is just another.

Bob

16. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

My yellow levelling chocks seem to be a magnet for earwigs.

Anyone else noticed that?

17. Detnor

Detnor Funster

A lesson learnt and not forgotten, if you use blocks and it rains heavily, when you pull off the blocks, be careful of water coming off the roof.

We had blocks under front and back wheel of the same side, I dropped back off them, and my wife who was guiding me off got drenched.....

• Like Like x 5
  18. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We were fed-up not being level, sink not draining away etc, but after a couple of wines it can be a bit disconcerting to say the least!:Wink: So we went for the big heavy-duty black Millenco Quattro ones, they are a lot sturdier than the yellow ones and broader too. :Smile:

19. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I find that also, thought it was my imagination.

20. slobadoberbob

There are some very big yellow ones

Fiamma make some very big yellow ones.. pig to store, but they support our Winnebago.. we carry 4 due to the double rear wheels.. most we have had to use is 3 so far.. but I bet the day I take three I will need all 4 of them. But do use the heavy duty chocs ....

Bob