Wheel arch welding on potential new purchase (2 Viewers)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the feedback. The almost universally negative feedback combined with the (im)practicality of managing everything over such a long distance has meant we've decided to pull out.

Let the hunt commence again! :)

The OP has taken on board the advice

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Good luck with your hunt. There will be a better one out there! OK, a bit newer, but my 2005 van came with only a tiny spot of rust on the underside of one cab step - didn't need welding, just cleaning up and a spot of seam sealer. Since then I've had the whole underside rustproofed with Dinitrol and all the cavities injected. Hopefully that will ensure it never needs anything more than the odd touchup of the Dinitrol.

My experience is once rust gets into a vehicle it's hard to stop. Prevention is much better than trying to cure it.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
TEN GRAND for a 16 year old PVC conversion, run away as it will be a moneypit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I must be the only one who thinks getting the van looked at rather than walking away makes sense ?
Not one of us can form an informed decision on ANY vehicle without either looking closely or a professional opinion.

The OP says he has looked for some time to find one in budget and suitable .

OK walk but ANY future prospects will surely need the same inspection? It is utterly ridiculous to dismiss a vehicle without seeing it. This cannot be done from behind a keyboard.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I must be the only one who thinks getting the van looked at rather than walking away makes sense ?

Welded and covered in underseal - near impossible to inspect. And of course there was a whole lot of pain showing through in some of those posts.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Anything to do with any rust underneath isn't worth bothering with, especially if you can't repair it yourself, he's talking 10 grand here, the worlds his lobster.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I understood your OP.

The thing is with those vans is some seem to rust and by God when they rust they rust ! And some don't. Well looked after vans with the undersides cleaned every 2 or 3 years can be very decent indeed.

So my advice is to get the vehicle examined by a really good competent person. It could be it's a belter and hopefully a bargain and one that will fulfil your needs. Or it could be a right old tater .

Get it looked at ! 10K may not be a kings randsome for a Motorhome but it's a bloody lot of money if a mistake is made !! ATB.
The only way to stop rust if you use a van in salt in the winter is to jet wash clean it after nearly every journey. Salt is a strongly pervasive medium especially if it's in a nice damp garage on your body work, it will find a weak spot in the underbody sealant and get to work immediately, using the moisture to dissolve paintwork. The underbody should be cleaned regularly with the van, 2-3 years is not even close, 2-3 months in the summer.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I went in Salop Leisure a couple of years back, they wanted £15k for I think it was a "T" reg Transit based Autosleeper with big rust holes visible in both wings o_O A tad optimistic I think!

Repairable but £15k, really, for an older van that obviously needed work??

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The only way to stop rust if you use a van in salt in the winter is to jet wash clean it after nearly every journey. Salt is a strongly pervasive medium especially if it's in a nice damp garage on your body work, it will find a weak spot in the underbody sealant and get to work immediately, using the moisture to dissolve paintwork. The underbody should be cleaned regularly with the van, 2-3 years is not even close, 2-3 months in the summer.

I agree but how many get their vans in salt water ? I used to have a big jet ski and it the trailer and the launch vehicle were jet washed after every use.

In general it's a damn good idea to clean the underside of any vehicle every couple of years. This stops muck and mud building up which holds moisture in places like wheel arches. Easy to do and great for long term preservation.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Well done that man. My van is 27 years old. It has some small rust spots on my doors. But otherwise fine. But you did right in walking away. As a another funster has said put out a thread on what you want. some one on here might just be able to help.

Aug 10, 2012
Worthing.West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Empty Nest
Exp
Since 1972
Oh Bother. (Polite version)
Had a lot of welding done at the front of our van a few months ago (by an Approved Service Centre)
Does that mean that no one will buy it ???

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Oh Bother. (Polite version)
Had a lot of welding done at the front of our van a few months ago (by an Approved Service Centre)
Does that mean that no one will buy it ???
not necessarily, it depends on a few things. like what was welded and how, and has it been deliberately concealed using underseal. very small repairs in a few weak areas are less of an issue than extensive rust chasing

it may well sell but wont be as valuable as a van not needing welding though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back