TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Voyager 2 coachbui
Exp
Now before I start. This is not me having a dig at anyone. It's just a question me and the missus keep coming back to in our quest for a MoHo.
Why do people buy a motorhome and then tow a car? If you want access to a car on your travels doesn't it make more sense to just buy a caravan instead?

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I have a couple of classic MGs and I use a trailer to take one or other to shows and runs - it means you an make a weekend of it and don't have to rush there and back after the event.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I do like a good A frame debate.

Still not sure on the legality of them though.

Where is SlobberdobberBob when you need him? I miss his legal ramblings on the topic, none of which I could understand

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Go to deepest darkest Suffolk to find out why there's no buses and you have to drive on tractor lanes full of mud for an hour to get anywhere also until you have experienced being upside down on the A1 because what your towing has been blown over that can put anyone of a wobbly box

Upvote 0

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Simples: the UK is not a motorhome friendly place. Many of our cheaper better sites (CL) are located well away from amenities that not easily accessible with a 7M motorhome. Height barriers, restricted parking etc make visiting some places uncomfortable to say the least. The answer is the toad.

However, Europe is a slightly different story and the need for a toad is not really required (personal opinion) as there are always areas for motorhomes to park. Many aires are situated in the towns themselves; can you ever imagine this in the UK?

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Few buy Motorhome just because they are more expensive and they think it enhances their image. Many were previously caravanners often from an early age and love the freedom that either genre provides.

If they have done their homework many are likely to have switched from caravanning or just gone straight to a Motorhome as they perceive it better meets their needs especially with the Aires system throughout Europe. Having gone down the motorhome route they may or will have considered whether a runabout as a benefit.

Having bought a motorhome they often just need a small car to use as a runabout for the rest of the year. Should they have a caravan then they need a larger vehicle for tugging and then that is a less economic runabout. Based on some cars used as tuggers their annual tax can nearly be as much as that for a van and small car. There is the outlay for a trailer or “A” frame setup which you can consider as part of motorhomings costs. The trailer has a resale value and any shortfall will be covered by the time that would have to be spent on campsites if caravanning particularly whilst abroad.

Generally cars are towed for particular reasons.

1 One or more of the motorhome occupants are unable to use cycles and or public transport and consider that a Motorhome is an easier vehicle for them to use than a caravan and meets their touring desires better. They need to be able to get around and not be restricted to wherever the van is

2 For some who think a motorhome best meets their needs and cycles or public transport may be useable options the occupants just prefer the convenience of a car.

3 They think availability of a car means the number and locations of places to visit can be significantly increased particularly where the other mentioned options are not feasible or available.

4 When Motorhomers are intending to stay on individual sites for long periods of time which means that without a car they would have to consider the need to use the Van as a runabout. They may think it is not sensible with the problems of parking, height barriers and access to places they want to visit.

We are about to go to France for 3 weeks, the Mayor of Calais permitting, and have no intention of taking a car. Our stops at Aires and possibly Campsites are going to be brief and they are all convenient by foot from the places we want to visit. Such a trip with a Caravan would not be as easy. When we go to Spain for the winter the motorhome is a convenient mode of transport via Aires even although they may not have water because of the cold they are recognised places to stop. Once in Spain we stop on Campsites for extended periods and travel all around the area. Cycles are not an option and public transport whilst good does not meet all our needs. The decision is take a car or hire one when we get there and we have done both.

Altogether it is individual choice and largely relates to how they intend to use their leisure time and the tools they think fits their needs on particular trips whilst deciding a motorhome fits best their overall needs..

Other ports are available.......BUSBY:LOL::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Go to deepest darkest Suffolk to find out why there's no buses and you have to drive on tractor lanes full of mud for an hour to get anywhere also until you have experienced being upside down on the A1 because what your towing has been blown over that can put anyone of a wobbly box

Think i will give Darkest Suffolk a miss then....BUSBY:LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Try towing either of these behind a car and caravan. It just wont work very well
S6000232.JPG
04-08-14 002.JPG

Upvote 0

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
I fully understand the whole car towing thingy.

I use my motor home frequently for short 2 day stops at the coast and have no need for a car for one or two night stops like that as I just want a break from the slog of work, however.......

When I've been to places like Cornwall or France for weeks on end I would have loved to have been able to jump into a small car to go and explore.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back