What's the point?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by TheDeckKing, Sep 3, 2014.

1. TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing Read Only Funster

Now before I start. This is not me having a dig at anyone. It's just a question me and the missus keep coming back to in our quest for a MoHo.
    Why do people buy a motorhome and then tow a car? If you want access to a car on your travels doesn't it make more sense to just buy a caravan instead?

• Like Like x 2
  2. chaser

chaser Funster

Couldn't agree more, but I suppose it's size, we can get more or less anywhere with ours, but there's only the two of us, and if you have a family and need a bigger van there's only two choices , tow a car or get a caravan, but a caravan is a distinct disadvantage if you are thinking of going to France.

3. signworks

signworks Funster Life Member

We tow a car as we like discover the area we go to and with all the height barriers and access in a lot of places not easy to park the van plus we use our tow car at home every day as our daily car less tax and insurance and if we had a caravan we would need a big 4x4 to pull it also it's a lot easy to tow a car than a caravan as it as four wheel in each corner

• Like Like x 1
  4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I can see if a campsite is a long way out and you want to explore without taking the van then a small car might be useful. On the other hand using cycles and public transport is fun and anyway I hate towing anything.

Having had a huge 7.5 tonne thing in the past I can see why a small car would have been an advantage as once settled on site you only wanted to move the beast when moving sites and with (sometimes) 4 adults and 6 kids shopping for a single meal was heavy work. We could have had a minibus and caravan but tried that once and the kayaks got in the way when turning some corners (sea kayaks are looooong).

Each to their own preference - ours was and is a motorhome without a toad - but nothing wrong with toads if you want one. It depends how you use the motorhome, how fit / active you are and personal preference.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Phill D

Phill D

i guess the answer to the OP's question is a bit like asking ......

Why do people drive Mercs, BMW, soft roaders etc etc, when a perfectly good KIA or Hyundai would serve the same purpose.

its all about freedom of choice and what the individual / couple want from their travel experience.

i dont tow a TOAD, but can see the benefits on occasions, will i ever tow a TOAD? depends "what whim i take on or feel next week" or if my ability to get about is compromised at some stage.

• Like Like x 6
  6. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

I have to agree. Towing modern caravans with a modern car is a doddle compared to years ago.

I made the choice to go back to tugging and you can get much more for your money compared to the cost of a MH and Toad.

I have a fixed bed caravan with as much room in it as most £40k to £60k motorhomes and pull it with a C Class Mercedes, all for much less than I got, when I sold my MH.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Ours is 6.4 mts long, so ok for exploring most areas and we tend not to stay more than 1/2 nights but I'm tempted to whack a smart car or similar on the back. We'd have the ease of set up with the Moho and car for nipping off. At wild mans place in ilfracombe we had access to a car as our sons joined us, it proved invaluable there.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

It's personal choice surely.

We don't pull anything, but I probably would if I could work out if A frames are legal or not.

Any views on that?

:getmecoat:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Hang on Chris whilst I make the popcorn..

• Like Like x 5
  10. chaser

chaser Funster

Do you know I actually agree with you, never even considered a caravan since having mhs and still wouldn't but had a look around don amots at the weekend, and just happened to have a look in the caravans, major difference since I had anything to do with them, strange though not seeing a steering wheel in there, but for the price, about 18 grand compared with 40 odd, it's really something to think about, but as I said , we do nearly all our holidaying in France and a caravan would be totally useless for what we do.

11. Phill D

Phill D

we even bought a Smart car 6 weeks ago, just for "nipping about the valley you know"! no plans to tow it "yet"!

• Like Like x 1
  12. chaser

chaser Funster

Come to that a toad would be useless for what we do as well

13. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

I had a great time with different MHs, wandering around Europe, sometimes free camping, sometimes on sites it just, depended where I was and how I felt.
    Used Aires, Stellplatz, etc, but things change and so do needs.
    I just locate an ACSI site and I'm sorted.
    I do still like to use public transport as (unlike the UK) it's often very cheap.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 1
  14. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Horses for courses and each to their own I guess :)

There's no way I'd get the same smug, relaxed feeling pulling a van, than I get when I'm sat in the motorhome, arm rests down, cruising along in chilled mode and chatting away nicely to Di when she's with me :)

Thing I find alarming in this day and age, is the incredible high speeds that folk like to tow their caravans at, even the family cars with the tiny trailers on seem to be happy to do Mach 10 and all the while the tiny trailer is bouncing along behind. Wonder if any of them realise the temp buildup they're producing in the tiny tyres :Eeek:

A30 on way to Cornwall a few weeks ago and the tiniest Renault came whizzing past me (I was doing 60mph, but may as well been going backwards) with a large caravan on tow, only to jack it a few miles ahead and plough into the grass bank. 2 adults and 2 young girls all sat on the side shaken up, frightened, but uninjured thank goodness :)

Nope it's a m/h for me all the way thanks and when I get somewhere I usually cycle, walk, or do something really old fashioned, but saves the planet, and that's get public transport as it's really not that bad :notworthy2::clap2:

15. bungy

bungy Funster

And there was me thinking all lawyers did.......only because of the generic term most folk use in reference to the learned law peeps obviously:whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  16. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yes.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Badknee

Badknee Funster

We sold our caravan last year after dragging it kicking and screaming down to Sicily, hell fire it was hard work. The whole continent seems to be set up for MH's and set up very well.

18. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

It doesn't matter if you use a trailer. To set up a "legal" A-frame costs about the same as a trailer - so why bother? The trailer has other uses too. I've just returned from three weeks away and for the first time we took our Smart on a trailer (thanks Snowbird (y)). I wasn't concerned about towing but I wondered whether the hassle of loading / unloading would be more trouble than it's worth. Well - it wasn't. It takes less than 5 minutes to do either including tying down / untying. Most improved experience was not having to shop as we travelled - just arrive, pitch, then when convenient pop down to the local supermarket in the Smart. Unseen advantages include putting the awning & table (and other stuff you might purchase on your travels) in the car rather than the MH. We use CLs / CSs a fair bit and on most the trailer can be left attached to the MH - even more convenient.

• Like Like x 1
  19. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

What you have to think of is...
    If there was no point then people wouldnt do it.
    I think we all have to make our own choices and what seems pointless to some will seem like the perfect combination to others. Otherwise we would all have the same vans or at least the same layouts.

Caravan. Other than the inferior driving position and aerodynamics compared to a MH with toad
    Arrive at site. unhitch caravan wind down steadies unload stuff from inside the van eg tables and chairs etc etc, go get water, fit aquarolls. put up awning.

MH
    Arrive on site pitch van Pitch car. kettle on

I havent got one by the way but understand why people do have them..

20. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Or another question:
    Why do folk with motorhomes tow a caravan ? Or is that a bit like extending a house ? :)