LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We were going to buy a caravan from GC but were warned off it by a customer on the sales site trying to get his money back on a caravan that was very damp. His fault for buying it but I popped my head inside it and I could smell the damp as I think it has a definable whiff about it. Over the years since I haven't heard too many good things said about them.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
as you have never taken delivery, the van is not as described when you paid your deposit and therefor no fit for purpose. They do not have a leg to stand on. Let them know you want your deposit back or you will go to the small claims court and claim compensation for loss of use as well.
Better still do as Chris said (he is a solicitor) Just take it to the small claims court and have done with it. They don't have a leg to stand on.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Agree with everyone, if you have never had the van I'd get my money back , I know that's maybe easier said than done but you was buying a van that wasn't damp, not something that has been damp and supposedly repaired, not the same van at all!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Sue
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Depending on the seriousness of the issue you could reject the van.

If not and they don't play ball, get the van back and then issue a claim in the small claims court.

Don't threaten to do it, just do it.
Its a very difficult decision...but the damp problem was/is severe, and the length of time they have taken to deal with it does not inspire confidence...what would happen once i have fully paid for the van if problems are found.
So i have just sent them a letter asking for my deposit back, plus costs...we will see!

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
as you have never taken delivery, the van is not as described when you paid your deposit and therefor no fit for purpose. They do not have a leg to stand on. Let them know you want your deposit back or you will go to the small claims court and claim compensation for loss of use as well.
Better still do as Chris said (he is a solicitor) Just take it to the small claims court and have done with it. They don't have a leg to stand on.
thanks
just sent them an email asking for deposit back....will keep you informed

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Its a very difficult decision...but the damp problem was/is severe, and the length of time they have taken to deal with it does not inspire confidence...what would happen once i have fully paid for the van if problems are found.
So i have just sent them a letter asking for my deposit back, plus costs...we will see!

Wait to see what comes back.

I am not a damp expert but I would have thought that unless it is dealt with properly and the source of water ingress identified and dealt with, it will just get worse and worse.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
At least they found it and told you, which you've got to give them some credit for but even so it's not the van they sold you , surely they should have done the checks first

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
thanks
just sent them an email asking for deposit back....will keep you informed
Make sure that they don't try to fob you off Sue, you do NOT want a MH with a history of damp, regardless of how well it's been fixed - it will definitely worry you all the time and also reduce the resale value in the future ... no matter how nice it is walk away with your money now ... it if were me I'd be running away though!

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
sue I think all the funster family would be happy if you just got your deposit back look at this you do not own the m/h as yet and the problem your having it you buy it and there are more problems with damp what service would you get then tell us what type of m/h it is and year and price range there must be loads of m/h out there with out damp, waiting to lol but not at this time until you get your deposit back, sun shining in Swansea ray

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
Sue, insist on nothing less than your deposit and compensation back via the small claims court. We had a lot of issues with them after we bought our van. The issues we never fully rectified. Despite several visits, and a meeting with the General manager all to no avail. Customer service, crap!!!!!!! don't expect any, they don't know how to do it. Walk away while you can. Wouldn't touch them again with a barge pole.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We bought a new caravan from GC. It had to go to them for services as part of the warranty. Driving home , three little kids ( at the time ) the wheel just came off . Caravan tilted violently started scraping the road . :Eeek:
Fortunately we hadn't got to snake pass !
Wouldn't mind the bloke driving the car behind went ballistic With us , as did the one behind him . Tooting and f ing and Jeff ing as our caravan wheel rolled down the hill.
Of course GC couldn't understand how it had happened , as the form said , and showed signatures for the wheels being put on and checked by two people.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We bought a new caravan from GC. It had to go to them for services as part of the warranty. Driving home , three little kids ( at the time ) the wheel just came off . Caravan tilted violently started scraping the road . :Eeek:
Fortunately we hadn't got to snake pass !
Wouldn't mind the bloke driving the car behind went ballistic With us , as did the one behind him . Tooting and f ing and Jeff ing as our caravan wheel rolled down the hill.
Of course GC couldn't understand how it had happened , as the form said , and showed signatures for the wheels being put on and checked by two people.
nightmare, and scary!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
In answer to your OP, 'what would I do?', it would depend on how much deposit I had paid

It is quite likely that I would walk away from it, even if that meant losing my deposit, or having to fight to get it back, which I would

Without knowing how much has been handed over I am not suggesting you should do this though, but if I had paid £1K or even £2K out of say a £25K MH, that is less than 10%, if there is any residual evidence of the damp I would think you will lose much than that if you resell quickly.

I do wish you the very best of luck though whatever you decide to do (y)

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
You've done the right thing Sue, don't be put off, there are plenty of good dealers out there and someone will have the right 'van' for you. (y)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Try all the local dealers for what you want then post up for a revue on here

We bought from lowdems and had no problem but we paid nearly top dollar and no faults on van in 3 years so we have been lucky
And yes I do know some have had problems with lowdems

I personally think you did the right thing by walking away
And you have learnt a very valuable lesson at no cost expect time and patience
Don't let this put you off if it's still what you want start again
Find what you want trade or private sale and get a independent damp report before parting with any cash

And good luck to you

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
sue, BIG LOL NOW what m/h did you try to buy year and price see if funsters can help you lol still lol ray

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
sue, BIG LOL NOW what m/h did you try to buy year and price see if funsters can help you lol still lol ray
Now there a thought tell this daft lot what you want and see what we can find for you
Make model layout seating a rough idea on price
You never know
half this lot of lazy old gits have nowt to do all day it will give them something useful to do

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Now there a thought tell this daft lot what you want and see what we can find for you
Make model layout seating a rough idea on price
You never know
half this lot of lazy old gits have nowt to do all day it will give them something useful to do
Now THAT i like, and I certainly need help now...I have lost all confidence in my ability to get a good van. hubby is hopeless...snowed under at work, and just says , you look...i don't have time!
Main priority is fixed rear bed. I prefer the transverse arrangement...but as long as its fixed bed thats ok. Also, I do like the lounge arrangement with 2 couches facing each other. Autotrail always seem to have good storage which is what we loved about the chieftan. I think about 7 metre length is best, but my husband likes more room, however as i am looking , then this time i think we should go for a shorter van than the chieftan. Budget is no more than £27000

NO DAMP please!

So any help very much appreciated, its time to get my husband away from work and to start living!

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Saw this one....... I know it says £28K but who ever pays the ticket price on anything?

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
looking at local dealers, i have seen an adria sports573 df....anyone know anything about this motorhome? it looks interesting, certainly not one i had thought of.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back