What SLR Camera?

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by haganap, Dec 12, 2010.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I am looking to enhance my already crap photography by purchasing an SLR camera. I don't have a great deal of funds available for this project. Although I love seeing some of the pics on here, I have a decent digital camera with 10x optical zoom. Although the pictures are good, they are not spectacular.

What would take my photography to the next level for a small price?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

In my film days it was Minolta but now I have gone digital it is Nikon for me. They do a few "entry level" Paul as do Canon and they are both good cameras. To move on you really need am SLR to which you can add lenses as you can afford. Currently I have a D70s and D300 with 18-200 VR nikon lens and a 120-400IS Sigma.
    The more serious photographer would tend to go for "Prime" lenses but to build up a range of those you are talking big bucks. I find the two zooms i have are adequate at my level (semi serious amateur). :thumb:

VR and IS are image stabilising systems which help to reduce camera shake. :BigGrin:

3. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Digital Photo mag gives Gold Award to Nikon D3100 as a first serious D-SLR

4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi Paul

Don't think it matters what camera you have, to me the end result depends on the eye of the person taking the picture.

During my time working for Kodak around the processing labs, some of the best pictures I have seen were taken on simple point and shoot cameras.

I know how you feel have never been able to get what I call a good picture, but my wife hardly ever takes a poor picture, so much so that I now never take stills but restrict myself to video as I seem to be able to get what I want in this medium.

Dave.:thumb::thumb:

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

No disrespect Paul .. a better camera won't improve your photos, ( or mine for that matter ) but a photography course would...

you can have the most expensive SLR in the world and still take crap pictures and visa versa .. some of the very best pictures ever taken were with pin hole cameras..

I have a Nikon D50 with a couple of lenses, yes, it certainly can take a good technical quality photo but CAN'T take a stunning picture, one with a wow factor .. only the operator can do that.

Jan has Panasonic Lumix and has taken some stunning pictures .. all on dummy mode :Doh:

6. Munchie

This is just so true. It helps if you get some basics. For example look up the "rule of thirds" and if you take a portrait get the head near the top not in the middle. In landscape the horizon should very rarely be in the middle rather a third of the way down from the top or a third of the way up from the bottom.

Also remember that you "see" with all of your senses, cameras can't do that, so what you "see" as an outstanding landscape may look mediocre on a two dimensional photo.

Hope this helps. :Laughing:

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

My advice would be to buy a quality compact. I would choose one of the canon G series. I have a G9 but I think they are on 11 now. I also have a Canon 5D mk2 which is a superb full frame SLR. The 5D is great but I do a lot with the G9. if I could only have one camera I would choose the compact for pure convenience coupled with a high spec so that if you want to shoot in raw or have complete control with manual you can:thumb:

8. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

Does your current camera have exposure compensation? If so have a play with that and you should see some improvemnt. The other comments regarding composition and lighting are all good advice. If you still feel you need an SLR look at the second hand market, there are people upgrading to the latest toy all the time and so there are some good buys out there.

9. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

Hi Paul

I have recently been looking at photographs in members albums.
    Take a look at Pwilmo, his pictures are incredible, he may be able to point you in the right direction,

not that yours are bad, in fact they are good:BigGrin::Blush:

Lesley

10. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Buy Photoshop, a camera can't improve your composition, but if you find a picture where you have got the composition right, Photoshop can improve the picture.:thumb:

11. haganap

This is the same camera that I currently have Jim. It is a decent camera and I have had some great pics with it.. I just want to go up a notch, it is quite limited in some of its qualities but a great camera.

I was looking at second hand by the way. :thumb:

12. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

3 years ago I bought a Canon EOS 40 D 10 mp along with 3 zoom lenses. The user controls eg manual or auto focus , selectable exposure and focus points plus many more are beyond those of a smaller non SLR, as well as the picture quality are very good , plus the fact you have a through the lens live viewfinder which makes photography so much easier. I covered a family wedding recently with the EOS and everyone complimented the organised and candid shots for which a camera like this is totaly suitable.
    It is a heavy camera and I will often take my Panasonic Lumix TZ 10 in preference due to ease of handling.
    Much also depends to which size you wish to enlarge your pics, above A4 then 12mp upwards is preferable and the lens on the likes of Canon and Nikon take some beating for pin sharp pics.
    All that said , as earlier on this thread , an expensive camera will not produce a beautiful , correctly exposed photo, the users skills are very important.

13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It won't happen. Just about any modern digital camera will deliver seriously good photographs. Indeed they exceed the quality of the cameras used by all the big names in photography.

But if you want a new toy, that's a different matter.

14. Munchie

I find it particularly useful for wildlife. For example set the camera to highest quality and largest size. Then if you take a photo of say a woodpecker you can crop it without losing any quality and still get a good sized photo. The wonders of Digital. My photos come out at 36" wide so with a landscape you can crop to create a "panoramic" shot. :BigGrin:

15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I've got one, Paul's got one.

The results are so good it's all I carry now.

At 48x zoom ( 12 optical and 4 digital ) it still gives a decent full screen travel picture. At just 12x zoom I think it's better than any 35mm I've had in the past.

Here is no zoom and 48 zoom, see if you can spot the couple in the wide angle.

Attached Files:

• 48x.jpg
      48x.jpg
      File size:
      101.5 KB
      Views:
    • NoX.jpg
      NoX.jpg
      File size:
      99.2 KB
      Views:
  16. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Brian the Papparazzi :Rofl1::Rofl1:

17. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Looks like the pictures might have been a damn sight more interesting 10 minutes later!!

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Me too,

It gets tiring carrying a heavy SLR about all day, even with only one zoom lens .. and the day you don't take it out .. sods law you miss that one off shot .. or you brought the wrong lens :Doh:

A compact is also easier to keep hidden.. I wouldn't have dared walk about the markets in Morocco with the Nikon and it's broad Nikon branded strap shouting out 'I AM RICH' .. the Panasonic was ideal ..
    Of course it has it's limitations and when I want to do something special I'll dust off the Nikon .. I wouldn't sell it but wouldn't buy another.

There are some compact SLRs , Olympus Pen gets some good reviews.. but outside my budget

19. haganap

best sell it too me before you can't lift it then Larry, I mean woudn't want and old fella like you hurting your back and being kicked out the Nuttters group would we :Wink:

20. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Go careful who you buy 2nd hand from, these can be fragile pieces of kit and a heavy knock may not be evident until you run a print.