what size generator?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by nannas-boy, Jul 6, 2011.

1. nannas-boy

nannas-boy Read Only Funster

Please can anyone advise me what size generator we would need to work all the appliances in the motorhome ie the telly , toaster , kettle , microwave, lights etc. Thank you

2. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

if useing all the above appliances at the same time you would need about a 5kw genny but peeps normaly go for a 2/3 kw.
    honda not kipoor.

chris

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

As above, but a 2kw should suffice.. :thumb:

Yes and a "Honda".. :Wink:

4. nannas-boy

nannas-boy Read Only Funster

what size generator

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated. My next question is where would you recommend buying a honda generator from?

5. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

KIPOR :thumb::thumb:

6. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

even with a 4kw it is not big enough

If I wanted to run all the goodies I have at home then my 4 kw would n ot be enough.

American RV's come with anything from 2kw on a extended day van such as a Pleasureway /Road Trek to 4kw on the mid size RV's way up to 8kw on the bigger RV's but I do get by with 4 kw and use a 26" house tv and normal kettle. toaster and also air con etc., not all run at the same time as I would soon overload it. But 2KW should be enough for most needs.

Bob:thumb:

7. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

E.bay may be a good place to start looking...

If buying new make sure it comes with "Full Written" warranty... I have never had any trouble with the Honda`s I have had, but perhaps I have been lucky.

Other than that try "Google" Search.... Or if you can wait, go to one of the M.H. shows, there is usually a Honda Dealer doing special show deals.. :thumb:

8. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

this should be for men only as you should never ask a woman what size as they aways what moor:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Personally, we would only use the microwave when on hook-up, kettle and toaster we use gas. The TV and lights work fine from your battery. If you could manage with the same, then only a small 1KVA genny will be required to charge your batteries.

A 2KVA genny is BIG and very HEAVY and MUCH more expensive. The 1KVA is about a third of the weight and will fit in most lockers. The big ones need a large locker or garage. If you could manage with the smaller genny you save yourself a lot of faffing around lugging and storing the big one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Zero! That's if you want to keep your neighbours as friends. On the other hand, there are many who don't give a s**t about any one else but them selves.

Doug...

11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Morning Doug, Lovely morning in Wales, makes you feel glad to be alive eh:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 4
  12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I agree absolutely with Jim on this. Be very sure you need to run all that gear on 230V before buying a big generator. I think the fact that the 3KVa Honda model is fitted with wheels says it all. Even the 2KVa model weighs well over 21Kg when full of petrol - that's over 50lbs - a lot to lift in and out of a locker or garage.

I bought a Honda EU10i (the 1KVa model that delivers 900 watts continuously and can handle brief peaks above that) and use it mainly for driving the battery charger in winter. It is a lot simpler to use gas wherever possible in my view - but then there is no pressure on me to provide for hair driers or curling / straightening devices that seem to feature strongly in the 'must-have' lists (my wife uses a gas cartridge-powered Braun styler).

I bought from Lings - good delivery service and the price was the best I could find at the time (didn't search E-bay though).
    << Lings Honda >>

13. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

come and park with me i run my kipor for fun if you got one why not use it :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

As expected!

Doug...

15. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

One thing for sure Martin is whatever you have is the wrong size:Wink::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  16. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I would think before you splash out on a Genny, I have a honda 1kw and it is absolutly brilliant. However, I rarely rarely use it in the summer months. It has not been out of my van for months. I have a big inverter that nikki uses to dry her hair, I have solar panels and two leisure batteries.

In the winter, we could not be without our Genny, when skiing it is an essential bit of equipment..

Rule of thumb is decide what you want to do-

Extra batteries
    Solar panels
    Inverter
    Genny.

Oh and buy a good skillet, makes using a microwave obsolete. :thumb:

17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

We just got rid of the big one and the microwave !

Still looking for a 1kw Kipor to replace the 2.3kw one ( and we already had an 800w kettle as well as a gas one and a 2kw one.. many hookups across the EU are only 4 to 6 amps )

18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

dispite what other posters have said....a 2kw genny wont power a normal quickboil household kettle.....the kettle will be around 3kw.
    a slow kettle will be around 1.7 to 1.8kw and will work if nothing else is using power at the same time.

a 900watt microwave may use up to 1.6kw at startup.

i doubt you'll find a suitcase/quiet genny up to the task of running more than one high power appliance at a time.

19. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Jhon i dont no why they mone one size fits all:Blush::Blush::Blush:

20. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi
    It all depends what you want/need to use------------we spend most of our time on EHU-----so could not justify the cost and extra weight of solar & extra batteries---------for the time we are off EHU, we can manage without all the big draw items like microwave----and manage very well with our 1 kva Honda--it keeps the battery up, so we can use the inverter, and it is happy to run the battery charger while we watch our big TV/play DVD's etc. and for this we use a tiny amount of petrol------( we also have a 3kva Kipor but since we have had the little one we have never needed it --so don't carry it with us any more !!) (it will be for sale at the bring & buy at the Oswestry RV meet!)
    But it is for you to decide how much fuel you are prepared to use to run all that stuff !!:thumb::thumb: And how much weight you can justify carrying around :Eek!::Eek!:
    If you make the wrong decision-------gennys always sell well S/H:Smile::Smile:
    Nigel & Pamala