what size generator? (1 Viewer)

nannas-boy

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Funster No
Please can anyone advise me what size generator we would need to work all the appliances in the motorhome ie the telly , toaster , kettle , microwave, lights etc. Thank you

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Please can anyone advise me what size generator we would need to run to be able to be hooked up and work all the appliances in the motorhome ie the telly , toaster , kettle , microwave, lights etc. Thank you

if useing all the above appliances at the same time you would need about a 5kw genny but peeps normaly go for a 2/3 kw.
honda not kipoor.

chris

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As above, but a 2kw should suffice.. :thumb:

Yes and a "Honda".. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N

nannas-boy

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Funster No
what size generator

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated. My next question is where would you recommend buying a honda generator from?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
even with a 4kw it is not big enough

If I wanted to run all the goodies I have at home then my 4 kw would n ot be enough.

American RV's come with anything from 2kw on a extended day van such as a Pleasureway /Road Trek to 4kw on the mid size RV's way up to 8kw on the bigger RV's but I do get by with 4 kw and use a 26" house tv and normal kettle. toaster and also air con etc., not all run at the same time as I would soon overload it. But 2KW should be enough for most needs.

Bob:thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Thank you for your replies, much appreciated. My next question is where would you recommend buying a honda generator from?

E.bay may be a good place to start looking...

If buying new make sure it comes with "Full Written" warranty... I have never had any trouble with the Honda`s I have had, but perhaps I have been lucky.

Other than that try "Google" Search.... Or if you can wait, go to one of the M.H. shows, there is usually a Honda Dealer doing special show deals.. :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Personally, we would only use the microwave when on hook-up, kettle and toaster we use gas. The TV and lights work fine from your battery. If you could manage with the same, then only a small 1KVA genny will be required to charge your batteries.

A 2KVA genny is BIG and very HEAVY and MUCH more expensive. The 1KVA is about a third of the weight and will fit in most lockers. The big ones need a large locker or garage. If you could manage with the smaller genny you save yourself a lot of faffing around lugging and storing the big one.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Zero! That's if you want to keep your neighbours as friends. On the other hand, there are many who don't give a s**t about any one else but them selves.

Doug...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Zero! That's if you want to keep your neighbours as friends. On the other hand, there are many who don't give a s**t about any one else but them selves.

Doug...

Morning Doug, Lovely morning in Wales, makes you feel glad to be alive eh:ROFLMAO:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I agree absolutely with Jim on this. Be very sure you need to run all that gear on 230V before buying a big generator. I think the fact that the 3KVa Honda model is fitted with wheels says it all. Even the 2KVa model weighs well over 21Kg when full of petrol - that's over 50lbs - a lot to lift in and out of a locker or garage.

I bought a Honda EU10i (the 1KVa model that delivers 900 watts continuously and can handle brief peaks above that) and use it mainly for driving the battery charger in winter. It is a lot simpler to use gas wherever possible in my view - but then there is no pressure on me to provide for hair driers or curling / straightening devices that seem to feature strongly in the 'must-have' lists (my wife uses a gas cartridge-powered Braun styler).

I bought from Lings - good delivery service and the price was the best I could find at the time (didn't search E-bay though).
<< Lings Honda >>

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I would think before you splash out on a Genny, I have a honda 1kw and it is absolutly brilliant. However, I rarely rarely use it in the summer months. It has not been out of my van for months. I have a big inverter that nikki uses to dry her hair, I have solar panels and two leisure batteries.

In the winter, we could not be without our Genny, when skiing it is an essential bit of equipment..

Rule of thumb is decide what you want to do-

Extra batteries
Solar panels
Inverter
Genny.

Oh and buy a good skillet, makes using a microwave obsolete. :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We just got rid of the big one and the microwave !

Still looking for a 1kw Kipor to replace the 2.3kw one ( and we already had an 800w kettle as well as a gas one and a 2kw one.. many hookups across the EU are only 4 to 6 amps )

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dispite what other posters have said....a 2kw genny wont power a normal quickboil household kettle.....the kettle will be around 3kw.
a slow kettle will be around 1.7 to 1.8kw and will work if nothing else is using power at the same time.

a 900watt microwave may use up to 1.6kw at startup.

i doubt you'll find a suitcase/quiet genny up to the task of running more than one high power appliance at a time.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
It all depends what you want/need to use------------we spend most of our time on EHU-----so could not justify the cost and extra weight of solar & extra batteries---------for the time we are off EHU, we can manage without all the big draw items like microwave----and manage very well with our 1 kva Honda--it keeps the battery up, so we can use the inverter, and it is happy to run the battery charger while we watch our big TV/play DVD's etc. and for this we use a tiny amount of petrol------( we also have a 3kva Kipor but since we have had the little one we have never needed it --so don't carry it with us any more !!) (it will be for sale at the bring & buy at the Oswestry RV meet!)
But it is for you to decide how much fuel you are prepared to use to run all that stuff !!:thumb::thumb: And how much weight you can justify carrying around :whatthe::whatthe:
If you make the wrong decision-------gennys always sell well S/H:Smile::Smile:
Nigel & Pamala

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
genny

hello there haganap is right ? we were away skiing in feb and all i had was a honda 650 w genny more than enough for me and there was 2 of us ? just had a 200w inverter did the job in the cold anyway just a quick tip as i learnt the hard way ??? dont plug the genny up to the van when you start it as it sends a surge through and it burnt my charging unit out:Doh: ? hope this helps

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi
It all depends what you want/need to use------------we spend most of our time on EHU-----so could not justify the cost and extra weight of solar & extra batteries---------for the time we are off EHU, we can manage without all the big draw items like microwave----and manage very well with our 1 kva Honda--it keeps the battery up, so we can use the inverter, and it is happy to run the battery charger while we watch our big TV/play DVD's etc. and for this we use a tiny amount of petrol------( we also have a 3kva Kipor but since we have had the little one we have never needed it --so don't carry it with us any more !!) (it will be for sale at the bring & buy at the Oswestry RV meet!)
But it is for you to decide how much fuel you are prepared to use to run all that stuff !!:thumb::thumb: And how much weight you can justify carrying around :whatthe::whatthe:
If you make the wrong decision-------gennys always sell well S/H:Smile::Smile:
Nigel & Pamala

And run my caravan on trickle at the same time on the 1kw honda whilt touring with them:Smile:.

Many thanks the Sundowners:thumb:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Apart form sheer horror :winky: what is Funsters reaction to Aldi's offer this Sunday of an 800w Generator for £60... just as an "emergency" backup to recharge the batteries off grid ???

Link Removed

Do you think it might be noisy
Do you think it might be reliable :Cool:

Having said that - most of the Aldi stuff I've ever bought has been perfectly reasonable - if not exactly cutting edge.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Dare you connect hundreds of pounds worth of electronics to an unregulated genny, that's the question.

Or as Clint Eastwood put it, "are you feelin' lucky punk ?"

It will be noisy and smelly. The 12V out, which will only be about 100W is the safest way to use one.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Apart form sheer horror

That says it all really - but in terms of detail:

Noisy and smelly (don't park within 100 yards of another motorhome when using it).
Two lots of fuel to carry (petrol and oil, plus another can to mix them in - it's 2-stroke).
Low output 650W, however enough to run the charger - but DO NOT DO IT.

Regarding the last point, as Brian says, there is a high risk of knackering the charging unit if you plug it straight into the EHU point on the motorhome as the generator will be unregulated and not pure sine wave.

There is a reason this costs peanuts, a small Kipor costs around £300 and a small Honda costs almost £700.

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Each to their own I say but...

The reason my wallet is bursting at the seams (and spoiling the line of my designer pants) is because of the vast bundles of cash it is fighting to contain...

Had I bought a Honda, my wallet would be as thin as an Ethiopian mouse training to run six marathons in a day...

KIPOR FOREVER

Surely this post allows enough room for hundreds of witty Funster responses on several counts... come on folks do your best

JJ :Cool:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
i would like advice on which generator is the quietist on the market?

Hi Phil Honda ::bigsmile:closely followed by Kipor ---but you can buy 2 or 3 kipor for the price of a Honda :ROFLMAO:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back