What made you spend all that money on a motorhome (2 Viewers)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Or when you finally arrive at the Caravan or camp site, worry about pitch, set up awning or tent,fill up water, empty the dog and take the stuff in the car for a walk?
Do you have to dangle him/her over a disposal point al a a cassette? :LOL:

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
What so endeared you that you’d part with many thousands of £. Did you agonise over the decision, were you scared, did you wake up the next day full of buyers remorse or were you like a kid in a sweetshop.

The idea of travelling around Europe in a motorhome had been flitting around for years, after falling in love with our 1980 Bucanneer Caribbean that we bought in 1996. The Bucanneer went long ago but the dream lived on, despite living in the US for 3 years inbetween times. We finally cashed in and left the UK for France last December and, after buying a house and settling down, the dream of owning a motorhome had moved to the front of our thoughts again. We looked at three before finally finding the perfect one for us, in terms of layout and comfort. Even the 10 hour round trip to pick him up didn't put us off!! That was back in August and, despite wanting to get out and about straight away, we've so far only managed two short trips due to work and illness. So, at the moment, poor Tom Benimar is spending his first winter outdoors on the drive. I do hope he forgives us when we finally get mobile again!!

So far, we have no regrets although he still seems pretty scary at times! I'm sure we'll get used to him more and more as each new trip out goes by :)

Feb 29, 2020
Worthing, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tribute
Exp
Hello
We back-packed for years before children, then camped, mostly in the UK. Never lost the travel bug and when a friend died a month after retirement I decided now or never. Every school holiday we dragged kids all round Britain, they willingly came for 6 weeks to France, then Spain (twice) then Croatia. Now they stay at home and Phil and I go alone. We love it and plan to full-time in a few years. Before we are too decrepit!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
We have done the apprenticeship, as you say. Camping, caravanning for 45 years, and now the motorhome. Why the change?
It was down to several factors. Firstly, going through the packets of Ibuprofen from stiff joints having to drive for much longer than necessary because there was nowhere to pull over safely with 42 foot of car/caravan, getting wet and lying on the floor connecting/disconnecting water/waste/etc before we could even have a cuppa, and the list goes on. also, we have changed the way we holiday. We have always gone to a destination, stayed five nights or more then moved on. Now we prefer to stay no more than four nights (normally) then move on to somewhere else. We can pop out at any time for a single night to visit either family, friends or a particular event/place, something that cannot be done with a caravan. When I get tired I can now just pull over anywhere and have a 'power nap', then move on.
Of course there are disadvantages too, like missing the enormous space and comfort however, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

madroy

Free Member
Apr 23, 2018
Funster No
Many motorhome owners are no strangers to camping. Some have done the full apprenticeship, maybe starting with a simple ridge or dome tent, buying a frame tent, moving on to a trailer tent, then maybe towed a caravan and are now in motorhome. Others have taken a simpler path to motorhome ownership. But what made you do it?

For most of us buying the motorhome was probably one of the biggest purchase of our lives. A considerable investment in an item that is likely to lose money from the moment we buy it. A decision then not to be taken lightly; So why did you do it?

What so endeared you that you’d part with many thousands of £. Did you agonise over the decision, were you scared, did you wake up the next day full of buyers remorse or were you like a kid in a sweetshop.

I am re-vamping our buyers guide and your answers here about why you bought a motorhome will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Moved from sailing to motorhome.body was finding sailing hard work.still tow a dinghy behind so not completely committed but enjoy very much.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Waiting at Gatwick to meet a delayed flight ……
Another reason for Motorehomes

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Different perspective coming…

I’ve had camper vans for 30years. For me it’s logical, it’s a super cheap way to go and see stuff. 1st in 1993 age 23 was a £100 1978 transit with a home made bunks and a camp stove. 2nd was a £400 1977 Bedford CF with the luxury of (sort of) running (cold) water but a pop top and a built in hob and sink.

Both were used for a whole summer.

The 6th is a 25k Hymer that’s going to have been lived in for about a year and a half plus 3yrs of hols so maybe 700nights. If it sells for 20k it’s cost 5k so £8 a night. Plus countless savings on restaurants and cafes. The savings are so huge since we have been homeless it’s beyond a no brainer. It’s just a very very useful and super cheap thing to have and own :)

For the retirees with a huge pot and all the time in the world, but still young enough at heart to be adventurous - I completely admire anyone spending £150k on a luxo-bus. One day I hope to do exactly the same !

The answer to the original question is of course ‘adventure and freedom’ - just make it worthwhile by getting out and using the beast as much as you possibly can :)

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Never went camping or Caravanning as a kid , spent my 30s and 40s ( with my wife ) traveling the world by jet and staying in luxury hotels .
Just felt “ summat “ was missing so we ( on a whim ) bought a T2 Danbury and went off to discover the UK and Europe on our terms
Wife decided T2 was too small so bought a huge ( to us ) Bailey back in 2013 and had the greatest time ever exploring .
2023 saw us ( with much regret ) chop Billy in for our current van , we just love the life and the lifestyle . We like the teamwork involved in operating the van and the people we meet and every trip generates a dozen stories at least .
Me , I like the prep for and anticipation of a road trip and the allure of adventure, plus I love driving ( even in this modern age of madness ) .
It’s not for everyone and I get that but for us it has been cathartic and liberating, we love van life .

Deleted User
A complete whim that took us in May last year. We had always rented villas / apartments up until Covid. Plenty of nice hotels as well as Mrs FREXPT's minimum standard is 4-star.

About 10 years ago some old friends made contact after a break of 15 years and they had taken up motorhoming in the meantime. We habitually met up when we were holidaying and they would pitch up in their van.

We decided to "downsize" a couple of years ago and ended up a few euros in credit. For some reason we were talking about these friends one day and out of the blue it emerged that we both fancied trying a motorhome, even though it was something we had never, ever discussed before.

Being us, we had a Laika A class on the drive four weeks later. Six months later we had sold that one at a profit and taken delivery of Esther the Esterel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back