What made you spend all that money on a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We had done some Eurocamp holidays when the kids were young but never really been a camper or caravanner.

We just love to travel.We have done many long haul Europe trips in the past but just in a car and staying mostly in cheap hotels. For us a MH gives us that freedom to travel/explore and makes it easier, comfortable and cheaper - and no need to live out of a suitcase.

We bought ours at 59 (retired) with no previous experience and without hiring one first. (oh, except 2 weeks in a RV in California a few years ago). So, did it all wrong but not regretted it. Already done 7500 miles in out 6 month old van!!!

AnnieB

Free Member
Jan 6, 2021
Grt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Air
Exp
8+ years

Attachments

• 74EC493A-582F-4C61-A863-5ADA16D747AF.jpeg
    74EC493A-582F-4C61-A863-5ADA16D747AF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
I watched The Great Fishing Race as a kid. They travelled around, and slept in, VW vans. Looked great. Wanted one ever since.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We had a very small Fiat Amigo when our daughter was small, we had it for a couple of years but only went away in it twice. After that we did hotels for years, then after the daughter left home we were invited on a camping trip with friends, they had a large trailer tent, that gave us the bug, so we bought a tent and a lot of second-hand camping equipment, more than we intended when we called to the advertiser on the Harley but we fitted it on, just :happy: The problem we had then was our car, Mrs. Ex had a small convertible so we went camping in the work van. A weekend away started on Friday afternoon with emptying the van then loading camping gear before we could set off, Sunday afternoon was the reverse. We decided to buy a car big enough for camping, we looked at many and decided the Mazda Bongo was the perfect car but we found few unconverted tin tops and after looking we then went for a pop top ( Bongo purists will not like me calling it that as the proper name is Auto Free Top) :giggle: Again after looking we decided if we were going to but a car just to go camping, we should buy a camper, which we did. We had the Bongo for a couple of years and loved it, but then began to want the extras that come with a motorhome which are missing on a camper, so we raided the pension pot and bought a PVC an Auto-Sleeper Dueto. It was a lot of money but we had it 9 years and had many great holidays as well as weekend breaks in it, so we definitely had our moneys worth out of it. We sold it a while back and now have a caravan ,which suits us better for now, although we may come back to the right side sometime :happy:

Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
We were touring Turkey in a Land Rover and tent. On one campsite was a British Motorhome. They said they were retired and full timing. As we were about to return we realised that we could do that. Sadly, not the full timing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
This might be a different angle for you, Jim.

For many years we were yotties, for the last ten years of ownership we kept our last sailing boat in Brittany. We used to manage our leave, weekends and public holidays so that we could take five 10-14 day breaks on her every year.

As we got older we realised that we had been to all the places we wanted to, and were not keen on longer passages or keeping the boat further away. And frankly we were a little bit fed up with sandy coves, bouncy estuaries, and marinas. For the first three years of our retirement we went for a month at a time, five times a year.

However during that we never considered that we were 'camping', we were just living on the boat, enjoying food, drink, and daily life as at home.

We toured New Zealand in a rented Motorhome for a month, and on the basis of that sold the boat, bought a Motorhome, and found new and much more varied pleasure away from the coast.

Because I'm anal, I did a massive amount of paper research, backed up by visits to the big shows. I went to the last one armed with a short list of six, pared that down to three, and decided the next day. I bought our Adria in Germany ( the exchange rate was very favourable at the time) and the dealers would discount, imported it myself and have never looked back.

I was told that I was not likely to keep my first van for long, but I'm happy to say that our choice fills every need. The only thing wrong with it was that the table was much too big - I solved that by buying one designed for a smaller model. It has a good sized shower, user friendly kitchen, adequate toilet and good sleeping arrangements. We carry our e-bikes in the 'garage' at the rear. We are fully self contained, no shortage of power and good tankage.

We only ever tour 'near Europe' (why I bought LHD), almost never go to Campsites (they rarely offer anything we need, or want to pay not to use), and enjoy every minute of our touring. We have met scores of very nice people along the way.

In conclusion I would say that we do not consider ourselves 'campers', rather, as with the boat, we are merely living our lives away from home, but in a vehicle this time. Motorhome says it all for us,

Your story reflects my progression from a boat to a MH, with slight variations.

I bought my Westerly 33 ketch in 1987 and took it straight to Greece and sailed the Aegean for 30 years. Fortunately had more time on it than you.

Then it was time to see the 'inside' of Europe, so the search for a MH, which I bought in 2009, keeping the boat in parallel for a few years till it became too time consuming.

I did a lot of research to get both the boat and the MH and they were both my first and I never changed them, so far with the MH. Does that make me anal like you? But both were s/h.

I bought the boat in 1987 for £23,000 and gave it 3 years ago to very good friend, a marine engineer who was going to inherit anyway, so no residual value to me. The MH I bought in 2009 for £27,600, but residual value currently about £20,000. Total capital expenditure £50K , net £30K . I consider that is not bad value for 34 years of great enjoyment. Of course maintenance and running costs on top, but almost no mooring costs in Greece and our Aires and wildcamping costs are minimal.

As an aside we took the MH down to Greece this year and I was visiting some of the wonderful ports I frequented on the boat. Some pangs but they were allayed when I saw boats dragging and we were sitting with a glass of wine, just observing. ;) :giggle:

In the general discussion I think MHoming can be both very enjoyable AND cost-effective - if one does not buy new and/or swap MHs too often.

Research, buy quality 'right' one privately, then keep it.

That way the thread title fades into insignificance.

Geoff

May 29, 2020
Ferndown, BH22 9sg, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Pepper
Exp
Since 2019
Following caravanning for many years and realising they were not welcome in France. Following retitement we relocated to the south coast of England an illness made us realised we had to change to a MH. This was the best decision for us as I can travel in confidence and able to use the airs in France as England has become restrictive to MHs with the cost of sites and little or no parking for them in Cities Towns and Villages.
We should have moved over years ago.

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
We were complete novices, never camped or caravaned.
We were doing a around the world, going East from UK and Australia was one particular stop for about 5 weeks, we are Scuba divers and had to catch a boat in Cairns on a particular day, that gave us 3+ weeks to get there from Sydney so we rented a one way camper van from Britz, a LWB Hi Top Sprinter with all the mod cons. We loved it, that was our introduction to "Motorhoming".
Back in 2015 or 16 we decided to tour Europe in our Vito Van, nothing in it, not kitted out at all except for a small inverter for making coffee, we simply put our "Trek's" in the back and set of, we stayed in hotels each night but loved the travel and go where you like attitude.
We had a month of that and well and truly had the bug.
So in 2017 our son decided that "WE" should buy a motorhome, so there and then looked at Autu Trader and saw one that looked ok, rang the guy up and agreed to look at it the next day.
Went to the bank that afternoon and withdrew the cash just in case, the following day my son and i looked around it and made the guy an offer which he accepted, my son drove it home, we were now "Motorhomers".
It was an Autotrail, a 2008 with 17k on the clock, we loved it and traveled loads of times before brexit around the continent, we sold it back in the summer for more than we paid and are waiting as we speak for our new van to have Sat Dish fitted before taking delivery in the next few days.
Just hoping that we can travel to the continent safely in the spring of 2022, we have never used our van in the UK, cant see the point of that.
Anyway, each to their own.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
It's quite surprising how many of us have done an "apprenticeship" in yachts. Progressed through tents, caravans, Spanish apartment, yachts, back to a caravan and then finally a motorhome after selling the apartment. I'm reaching the point now where my next accommodation is likely to come with brass handles but hopefully not just yet.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I did the full "camping" apprenticeship from traveling europe with a pushbike and rubber backed sleeping bag and plastic bag to a Motor Bike and tents through car and bigger tents trailers trailer tent Caravan then traded both in to buy first new of anything i've ever bought (over a tenner) a Pennine folding camper. The Bongo eventualy came as part of a 10 year plan to be replaced by a self build Sprinter. But my stepfather had the decency to die at long last and to my absolute ashtonishment money came my way. So with a dodgy back and impending surgery and a quick butchers in my crystal ball i blew it on a Euro6 before the money frittered away.
PS never had a boat nor a self build sprinter

Jul 2, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Adria 690 Platinum
Exp
Ex Caravan owner now a Motorhome owner since November 2020
we started with a caravan in 1974 until 2020 thought we would try a motorhome for a change, we have enjoyed it up-to now + you can’t take it with you 😁

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Had a caravan for a few years and became intrigued as to why it took us and hour and a half to set up whilst others in MHs were inside and having a cup of coffee within 10 minutes of arriving on site. Decided to take the leap in 2007. We are on our second van and have been very fortunate. Travelled to Sweden, France, Germany, Austria, Ireland and most of the rest of the UK. Wouldnt be without it as love to be surrounded by our own things and have the freedom to go mostly wherever we want whenever we want. Consider ourselves to be very fortunate. Now in our 70s we wish we could have afforded or had the inclination to buy one before.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Tent camping since 1983 - our honeymoon was camping in Corsica.
Rented MH around British Columbia 2005 and loved it.
Own MH since 2010 - wish we had done it far earlier when the girls were younger.
Now retired nearly 8 years and couldn't be without it. Probably use it over 100 nights a year.

Hate the "self loading cargo" side of flying plus kids banging your legs as you check in.
Love eating lunch on train under channel.
Love the fact that wherever you stop, you're at home.

Inheritance/bonus/retirement lump sum.

Ultimately I could and I wanted to!

It's not what it is, its what it allows you to do.

Jun 25, 2019
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
rollerteam pegaso. A
Exp
a newby
After 25 years of caravaning. once again the 4x4 and caravan were coming up for replacement so we decided to put the same amount of money into a motorhome instead of replacing what we had. We have not looked back as we find it much easier.

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Many motorhome owners are no strangers to camping. Some have done the full apprenticeship, maybe starting with a simple ridge or dome tent, buying a frame tent, moving on to a trailer tent, then maybe towed a caravan and are now in motorhome. Others have taken a simpler path to motorhome ownership. But what made you do it?

For most of us buying the motorhome was probably one of the biggest purchase of our lives. A considerable investment in an item that is likely to lose money from the moment we buy it. A decision then not to be taken lightly; So why did you do it?

What so endeared you that you’d part with many thousands of £. Did you agonise over the decision, were you scared, did you wake up the next day full of buyers remorse or were you like a kid in a sweetshop.

I am re-vamping our buyers guide and your answers here about why you bought a motorhome will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Why. Back in 80’s we’d hired one when our girls were boarding and it was half term. We all loved it. We decided to buy when we retired. We were living in the Middle East at this time and sadly 5 friends died in 4 years. Their ages 38-52!!! It makes you stop and think. Maybe both of us won’t make retirement

Saw several Motorhomes being sold just after retirement as one of them died. You still see it

In 1990 (88) last of those friends had died suddenly and we bought our first Motorhome- a 9 month old Hymer 564 that had been repossessed. Never looked back. On our sixth now

I tell everyone don’t put it off get it now build your memories just in case you don’t make your original plan

Several friends have just done that.

It’s a great life - make the most of it now! Tomorrow might be so different

Carol

Jan 3, 2013
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I-414
Exp
2002-2006, 2013-current
Back in 2003 I was racing a motorcycle with a mate-2 weekends sleeping in a tent in the rain and getting soaked made me think ‘sod this’ so I bought an old Hymer. Perfect for racing, weekends away walking and everything else. I still camp occasionally, but now have a second-newer-Hymer via PVC.

Michael Rennison

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Upton, Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 700mx
Exp
Since 2016
6 years ago I wanted a place in France with only pocket money. Realised that I love travelling and seeing new places and meeting new people. The cost of buying, French taxes, flying over or driving around when we were over there just made no sense to this accountant. 😆 Sara suggested we looked at a Motorhome - a few years previously we went inside one at the Excel in the next hall to the Bike show we were attending and couldn't believe how luxurious they were. Well, we went round Brownhills and Lowdhams one weekend and were intrigued. A friend at our badminton club had one and I would corner him to find out the reality of owning one. Back a few weeks later we decided it would be a German van with a big fixed bed, leather, a bike rack for the tandem and a TV in the back to watch Match of the Day when we went away. That was it - in December 2015 I went with my credit card and put a deposit down on the Knaus with all the things we wanted. It arrived 7 months later and we love it. A scooter was acquired and I went to Portsmouth to have a rack fitted at Southdowns. Last November we were about to move house and had no where to rent so bought a winter awning and extension set up to bridge from our sale to the purchase. Boris promptly closed all the campsites so that scuppered our plans but we kept the awning and used it to entertain family this summer in Norfolk. Friends in the Badminton club then decided to buy one and we've enjoyed their company and 2 dogs when we go away with them. Its been a voyage of discovery and an adventure that I'd never thought would happen. Long may it continue. 😍

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we were camping mostly at festivals went to one got drowned putting the tent up sunburnt the next day and drowned again putting it all away decided we were to old to live on the floor so bought a talbot the rest is history

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Anybody who knows anything about 'Morgans' - the cars - knows they are very much an acquired taste; Madame was not a fan. As a result of a virus infection, pre Covid, I ended-up in hospital and was told another 24 hours you would have been a goner. Makes you think.

Decided we needed to spend more leisure time together as a couple, which also meant taking the hound, so a motorhome seemed the ideal solution and so it has proved.

Robert

Squeak

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Many motorhome owners are no strangers to camping. Some have done the full apprenticeship, maybe starting with a simple ridge or dome tent, buying a frame tent, moving on to a trailer tent, then maybe towed a caravan and are now in motorhome. Others have taken a simpler path to motorhome ownership. But what made you do it?

For most of us buying the motorhome was probably one of the biggest purchase of our lives. A considerable investment in an item that is likely to lose money from the moment we buy it. A decision then not to be taken lightly; So why did you do it?

What so endeared you that you’d part with many thousands of £. Did you agonise over the decision, were you scared, did you wake up the next day full of buyers remorse or were you like a kid in a sweetshop.

I am re-vamping our buyers guide and your answers here about why you bought a motorhome will be much appreciated. Thanks.
We tried tenting & loved it but wanted the freedom to be able to move from place to place with out having to put a tent up & down or find & unpack the kettle, gas stove etc before we could have a brew. We could also extend our holiday season & be able to stay in country's that were colder. We brought our 1st van the December before lockdown & are now on our 2nd van so we haven't as yet been able to fully acknowledge our dreams yet but are looking forward to future holidays

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We used to be campers, and loved that type of holiday. One time in Southern France, we turned up at a nice campsite on a cloudy day, and set up our tent facing West, as we thought, so we could enjoy the setting sun with a glass of wine in the evenings. Later on, a Motorhome pulled onto the pitch beside us, adopting a similar orientation.
Next morning, bright and early, the sun rose, and proved that we had pitched our tent the wrong way round! As it would have been a few hours work to turn it around, we decided to leave it. The Motorhome in the next pitch just started up, and turned around to face the correct way, planting the seed of ‘I want one of those’ in our minds!!

A year later, we we’re the proud owners of our first (of three, so far) Motorhome!!!

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Sold my house, kids were young (1and 3) bought a motor home, toured Europe saw the northern lights and went to to the med and all points between. Came back to UK bought a house kept the motor home, love it, love touring UK or Europe, love meeting people and the kids still get lots of fun out of it. As a lot of people have said it is the freedom, I still have my first motor home, now nearly 18 yrs old but I know every wart and all.

Ps have done tenting, caravanning etc and appreciate them all

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Smuggling the german shepherd on a plane became too risky after 9/11, so we opted for PVC

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back