What has motorhoming meant to you (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
It's not what it is, it is what it allows you to do.
MH for 6 years now and loving it Summer and Winter.
Retired; so year is pleasantly spent 5 weeks skiing, 6 weeks touring France, visiting Edinburgh Fringe, Henley Regatta, Ludlow food festival, York, West Wales and Brecons etc.
When I am not touring by van, I am usually by motorbike.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Nothing, it's meant absolutley nothing other than numerous days and weeks and years of wandering why I do it and wondering the following.
Why do I live in a 10 x10 box with two huge dogs that fart and a wife that snores?
Why do I think it's acceptable to shit in a plastic bucket when I have a perfectly good toilet at home with water that flushes?
Why do I think it's acceptable for a dealer to charge me ÂŁ10 for a bit of plastic that's worth 20p?
Why do I want to travel 100 miles on a motorway at 50 mph so I get more than 22mpg?
Why do I park on the drive and make it difficult to get the other 3 cars on and a scooter?
Why am I spending all this money on insurance and running the dam thing?

Then some how, I arrive somewhere, look out the window and say WOW. and all the above is forgotten. I have had 12 years with my vans and I am more lucky than most as we started young with our kids and they had the wonderful experience of coming with us.
Would I change it? no thanks, I hate flying and somewhere every week I find a release from work and my own new plot that is my "forever England" (even if it's in Wales)

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Nothing, it's meant absolutley nothing other than numerous days and weeks and years of wandering why I do it and wondering the following.
Why do I live in a 10 x10 box with two huge dogs that fart and a wife that snores?
Why do I think it's acceptable to shit in a plastic bucket when I have a perfectly good toilet at home with water that flushes?
Why do I think it's acceptable for a dealer to charge me ÂŁ10 for a bit of plastic that's worth 20p?
Why do I want to travel 100 miles on a motorway at 50 mph so I get more than 22mpg?
Why do I park on the drive and make it difficult to get the other 3 cars on and a scooter?
Why am I spending all this money on insurance and running the dam thing?

Then some how, I arrive somewhere, look out the window and say WOW. and all the above is forgotten. I have had 12 years with my vans and I am more lucky than most as we started young with our kids and they had the wonderful experience of coming with us.
Would I change it? no thanks, I hate flying and somewhere every week I find a release from work and my own new plot that is my "forever England" (even if it's in Wales)
:xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:
Great answer Paul and very true.
Brian & Jo

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
It has Ben a adventure for us since abut 1998.
It hopefully will continue to be so for a Long time to come but this forum has widened our horizons.
In more ways than I I could haver ever have hoped for good thing or bad it was the firsts one I posted any thing on thank you rule 1 and @Jim and all my funster friends
Piece and good Will to all this festive season
Bill

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
To us it started as a way of relieving stress when we were both working in fairly stressful jobs. A weekend away from the telephone and television, relaxing in peaceful beautiful surroundings, was the perfect antidote.

Now that we are retired it gives us the opportunity to go where we want, when we want and at a moments notice.

Spending half the year on mainland Europe enables us to travel widely for the cost of one Channel Tunnel crossing, kindly paid for by Monsieur Tesco, and his vouchers.

It is a costly hobby but, two weeks ago, we spent over ÂŁ1k on a four night weekend away in a British hotel, including travel.

At least in our motorhome we know the standard of the cuisine and the cleanliness of the bed and bathroom before we go. The only downside being that we can't complain to the management if standards are lower than expected!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Its Allowed me to travel most of Europe, twice, and visit and stay in places and meet people I could never have accessed otherwise. Pity I didn't get into it earlier in life (y)
After my last 12K, 10 month MH tour of Europe I concluded (feeling informed about and having experienced what is happening in Europe) Brexit was the only way for the UK to go:xsmile:

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
A roof over my head when SWMBO kicked me out and subsequently divorced me...

On a lighter note.. looking forward to the freedom and having no responsibly for anything other than moi... just got the financials to sort.. which means I will become the Plaintif as oppsed to the Respondent... Hoping to take her to court asap after Christmas so's I can then "sod off" to Spain etc until April - when Moho is due for annual water ingress check etc.. :)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Achieving my lifetime dream.
Finally getting to travel.
A passtime we can both enjoy
Seeing new places
Meeting new people
Relaxing, enjoying life.
Sitting in a tin can listening to th rain hammering on the roof and feeling warm,cosy, safe and secure.

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
We have been motor homing for 40 years, starting with a camper van, now on our 2nd m/h an Autocruise Starfire, we are now in our 80s it keeps us young, it's all about freedom, I must have gypsy blood from somewhere, we tow a Peugeot 107 on an A frame even more freedom, will carry on till till I cannot drive, it is still a cheap way to holiday, wish we had started younger, highly recommended "have van will travel"

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
It's allowed us to give Amanda a lovely fantastic life whilst we still can she is able to meet such lovely kind caring folk and see and visit such lovely places she has her extended funster family and she loves you all to bits xxx

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
images.jpg

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Meant a totally different way of life for me after being widowed. 5 years now of solo fultiming with doggy and now on my 2nd M/home. (Rapido 776ff). Still loving it and no intention of changing while health and wealth (Pension + house rental)hold up.
Seems to have settled into a 'sausage' of travel with winter spent in southern Europe and Summer travelling round all the Grandchildren in the UK and Ireland. fultiming has its ups and downs like any way of life but on the whole the independence, freedom & relative cost savings give me a quality of life I would not have if living in my house and paying all associated bills.
Living the dream?

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Mmmm, been a lurker in recent years but Brians post inspired a responce.

About 12 years ago we whim purchased a cheap old RV, unseen of ebay, and quickly learned all about the subject, still more to learn but she leaked, had gas and water issues, but we quickly had her up and running.
Quickly hooked we were off when ever we could, hated going home but at least it meant we could get away again. Both had good jobs/careers, silly income but never seemed to have much left. Anyway, suitably hooked we upgraded the moho and spent less and less of our free time home, we used campsites and loved it, so... End of 2012 we sold pretty much everything, jacked in the careers, much to the upset of our respective bosses and hit the road. We needed an income so became bog cleaners and grass cutters in the main camping season (wardens) and loved it. Funny, earning way less money but we were better off, and lifestyle and overall sence of well being, off the chart. As an aside, really don't understand seasonal camping?
Now, well we're on our third moho, well still RVs to be precise though not for long. Where did motor homing take us, well, we've just recently got the keys to, our own campsite!!! Motorhoming is going to have to stop for a while, only downside, but if things go to plan not to long, I keep getting told off looking on ebay and the like as it's time for something a little smaller me thinks as later next year we should be able to get the odd night away and small means no plan, maybe even give wilding a go, we're midway up Scotland so the possibilities are endless.

Meant to us, freedom, lifestyle we love and is better for our health, accepting we share a drive with a bar and there is four more withing half a mile, being around like minded people and knowing we'll be back motorhoming in the not to distant future and as we get older we can get back to longer trips, pay off mortgage and employ staff basically, mind you well not have any problems parking a motorhome now:)

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F

About 12 years ago we whim purchased a cheap old RV, unseen of ebay, and quickly learned all about the subject, still more to learn but she leaked, had gas and water issues, but we quickly had her up and running.
Quickly hooked we were off when ever we could, hated going home but at least it meant we could get away again. Both had good jobs/careers, silly income but never seemed to have much left. Anyway, suitably hooked we upgraded the moho and spent less and less of our free time home, we used campsites and loved it, so... End of 2012 we sold pretty much everything, jacked in the careers, much to the upset of our respective bosses and hit the road. We needed an income so became bog cleaners and grass cutters in the main camping season (wardens) and loved it. Funny, earning way less money but we were better off, and lifestyle and overall sence of well being, off the chart. As an aside, really don't understand seasonal camping?
Now, well we're on our third moho, well still RVs to be precise though not for long. Where did motor homing take us, well, we've just recently got the keys to, our own campsite!!! Motorhoming is going to have to stop for a while, only downside, but if things go to plan not to long, I keep getting told off looking on ebay and the like as it's time for something a little smaller me thinks as later next year we should be able to get the odd night away and small means no plan, maybe even give wilding a go, we're midway up Scotland so the possibilities are endless.

Meant to us, freedom, lifestyle we love and is better for our health, accepting we share a drive with a bar and there is four more withing half a mile, being around like minded people and knowing we'll be back motorhoming in the not to distant future and as we get older we can get back to longer trips, pay off mortgage and employ staff basically, mind you well not have any problems parking a motorhome now:)
Great responce Si and me and Jo would like to wish you ,Sarah and of course Shelby all the best with your venture.
Brian & Jo

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Hey! Congratulations you two and wish you every success with your new venture.
We haven't had a beer together for a few years now ... so, if it's not a secret, let us know the details and whereabouts of the site and we will give you a visit next time we are over the border.:cheers:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
No secret Brian, don't fancy your chances if Joyce so your post re birthdays:):):)

5roads.co.uk

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
No secret Brian, don't fancy your chances if Joyce so your post re birthdays:):):)

5roads.co.uk
It looks like a beautiful site you have there Si :clap2: and better still it's on the route through Scotland we are planning for for our our next visit up there so we shall certainly be there sometime for a brew or two.:beerchug:

Meanwhile, I should survive Joyce's birthday jaunt ... my post didn't give the full story ... The maternity home as was, is in fact a rather lovely castle which is now a very posh hotel.:xThumb:

Rapido924f

Free Member
Dec 16, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
We have been travelling in our motorhome through Europe for 8 years averaging 11,000 MLS a year. It has given us the opportunity of visiting places, meeting people we would have never found through conventional holidays. I started off planning trips down to the last km and site, now we book the tunnel for a month, May July & September and reaching Calais decide rough direction and destination and head off using Aires and the occasional campsite. Will continue till driving becomes a chore

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back