What do I need? Paste renewal (1 Viewer)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Why post then if you have not done the job or understand it.
Paste thickness is fairly critical I know someone who put it on too thick and the fridge hardly had any cooling at all.
Lenny, I'm sure you are correct in your statements, however, I found that on my van the layout of the cooling tubes in relation to the cutout of the top surround of the fridge prevented the fins coming into contact at all unless there was a very heavy layer of paste applied. Resulted in a significant improvement in performance in my specific installation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Lenny, I'm sure you are correct in your statements, however, I found that on my van the layout of the cooling tubes in relation to the cutout of the top surround of the fridge prevented the fins coming into contact at all unless there was a very heavy layer of paste applied. Resulted in a significant improvement in performance in my specific installation.

As Lenny says, in normal circumstances a thin application to where the two surfaces touch offers the best results, but I would imagine that in your case that the thermal paste now at least has contact where possibly there was none before.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
As Lenny says, in normal circumstances a thin application to where the two surfaces touch offers the best results, but I would imagine that in your case that the thermal paste now at least has contact where possibly there was none before.
That's what I said 🤷‍♂️

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Well at last I got round to doing it. Dometic RM4401. Everything seemed to work fine but in the morning the fridge was usually down to about +7 degree, after a day of use it would go up to +10 or even +12 according to the cheapo temp display. This suggested to me that we might not be getting the full cooling power in the fridge compartment.
Being a bit more scientific and without altering the thermostat position and giving everything 24hrs to settle, (van is a bit sloping on ehu). Freezer was at -17 fridge +9.
I removed the heat exchanger unit inside the cabinet , T25 torx self tappers and carefully prised away the plastic carrier for the fridge thermostat which hides beneath the white plastic trim and just pushes in between the fins.
The black sloping tube that I could see was the cold source and it and the exchanger were covered in grey mastic which I carefully scraped and solvented away. I am of the view that it was just non-setting bedding mastic as used on motorhome windows! Smelt of White Spirit.
Cleaned up and eased of some high points on the foamed insulation. Coated pipe and exchanger with some Dow Corning heatsink paste. Reasembled all.
Freezer now at -17 fridge at +3 after 24 hrs.
Lets hope that it will now copes better with door opening and ingress of warm air.
Hope this helps someone
Mike

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Well at last I got round to doing it. Dometic RM4401. Everything seemed to work fine but in the morning the fridge was usually down to about +7 degree, after a day of use it would go up to +10 or even +12 according to the cheapo temp display. This suggested to me that we might not be getting the full cooling power in the fridge compartment.
Being a bit more scientific and without altering the thermostat position and giving everything 24hrs to settle, (van is a bit sloping on ehu). Freezer was at -17 fridge +9.
I removed the heat exchanger unit inside the cabinet , T25 torx self tappers and carefully prised away the plastic carrier for the fridge thermostat which hides beneath the white plastic trim and just pushes in between the fins.
The black sloping tube that I could see was the cold source and it and the exchanger were covered in grey mastic which I carefully scraped and solvented away. I am of the view that it was just non-setting bedding mastic as used on motorhome windows! Smelt of White Spirit.
Cleaned up and eased of some high points on the foamed insulation. Coated pipe and exchanger with some Dow Corning heatsink paste. Reasembled all.
Freezer now at -17 fridge at +3 after 24 hrs.
Lets hope that it will now copes better with door opening and ingress of warm air.
Hope this helps someone
Mike
Great news, just what I wanted to hear, that sounds exactly the same as my fridge!
Am I right in thinking you don’t need to do the freezer?

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
No the heat exchanger is visible at the back of the fridge compartment, just watch out that you dont damage the thermostat sensor at the top left corner hidden behind the plastic top cover strip ( that you never knew was there before!) 2 hr job even if you go slowly and made a big difference for me .
Mike

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Great news, just what I wanted to hear, that sounds exactly the same as my fridge!
Am I right in thinking you don’t need to do the freezer?
It's the same evaporator pipe that runs through the freezer so well worth doing.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
C‘mon Lenny HB i thought you would have dived straight in to steer me right on what Fans to fit!!
My old ones had a blue led when they were on shining through the grill, this one has got a red led shining through and I think I’d prefer some nice fans with blue leds to shine through the grill when they’re on and spinning round!!
Anyone??
Computer fans from your council tip, free!

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Well I’ve looked all over for some fans that have a blue led (like the ones that were on and stopped working and foolishly gibbed them before I could find out the make of them) when they’re spinning round but have so far drawn a blank! Had all the rainbow couloirs thingies, but not the blue led🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😤

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I used GD900. Only one syringe needed. Fridge now works brilliantly.
When I took the finny thing off there was virtually no paste behind it, and what traces there was was dried up.
Dometic spoiling the ship for a happorth of tar, or a couple of quids worth of thermal paste in this case.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
For the amount required for the run-of-the-mill motorhome F/F (usually about 30g) the cost is a big factor and for the most part, as you will well know the amount needed for a CPU is only a gram or two, and at £10 and upwards for a 3.5g syringe of the high-performance thermal pastes, to me that makes the experts opinions irrelevant for our intended use for thermal paste, but for CPU cooling, I would likely be interested in their expert opinions.

For Funsters, go with the tried and tested options of other Funsters, and for me, that's either Halnziye HY610 Gold or as I prefer, GD900. ;)
That was helpful, I was wondering how much I would need.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Well the paste came yesterday……just before it’s gone into the dealers for the week😤😤
At least I’ll have summat to do next weekend for a few hours🤷‍♂️😁😁

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well the paste came yesterday……just before it’s gone into the dealers for the week😤😤
At least I’ll have summat to do next weekend for a few hours🤷‍♂️😁😁
A few hours? Just done Phil's Taran_Las on my drive, would have been less than ½ hr if we had have stopped gassing. :LOL:

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
A week😳😳😳
That don’t sound cheap😬😬😬
It isn’t!! But I need to make sure it’s 👌🏼 for when Brian Jackd takes delivery😉👍

I don’t want him on the blower every other day🤷‍♂️🤔

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Well run some tests over the last few days having done the paste thing, fridge is far better on ehu. 7.6 on gas with 3 fans on, then switched to ehu, 24 hrs later fridge on 1.9🤷‍♂️ could it be that the gas side of things need a check up?

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I use GD900 thermal paste as it has the best thermal conductivity for the price with a thermal conductivity of 4. 8 w/m-k or better.
You can get thermal paste with 8w/m-k thermal conductivity but for the amount you will need it's prohibitively expensive.
a 30g syringe will normally do a 3 way fridge.

I did the paste thing using this stuff and I found it rather runny, and I can’t help thinking that as soon as I put it back vertical it’s all slid off, as the fridge isn’t working very good again, sometimes it’s ok, sometimes not, seems better on ehu and have to have it on full!
The freezer seems ok but the other day they both went warm. Right now it’s gone up a degree since going on gas (6.0) freezer has gone colder (-21) I’m at a loss with the thing, it’s looking like a new fridge!
The gas side has been checked out at premium motorhomes and found to be working as it should, and although the gas has a steady roar, it doesn’t sound like a jet taking off like I’ve heard others do🤷‍♂️😤😤

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back