What do I need? Paste renewal (1 Viewer)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
So, the fridge isn’t as good as it was last time out! The two fridge fans stopped working for some reason, fortunately I had ONE spare fan, so fitted it and the fridge is sort of cold but not as cold as it was, so I’m gonna put new fans on it when I get home (2 or 3 on the outlet top vent) should I put some on the bottom blowing in? I might add before uncle Lenny HB comes up with the brilliant idea of fan INSIDE the fridge, alas is way above my abilities.
Now then could anyone advise/send me a link to the best paste to use, and possibly a link for some fans.
Sorry if I come across as bone idle to look but I usually buy thrice to do a job
Big thanks for any suggestions, but I would like it all working for when Jackd has saved enough shrapnel to buy it off me🤣🤣🤣🤣😉😉

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Just to make you feel better Ady, mines all but given up.
The freezer still freezes nicely, however, the fridge is pretty much food poisoning waiting to happen.
Going to have to address it when we get home. 🤨

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You need thermal paste also known as heatsink compound. Lots on eBay etc. Unsure on what size I bought as it's been a while.

Ref the fan inside fridge, I use a small rechargable fold up one that I just place in and run now and again 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
My fridge fans temperature controller failed before I set off for Lake District and Northumberland two weeks ago.
Never mind I thought, I'll replace it before August when I head over the channel, not thinking Lakes would be scorchio.
Fridge was strugling in the 28c heat so I bypassed the controller and they now run 24/7 until I get home and fix it, but the beers cold :cool:

This is what you need

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My fridge fans temperature controller failed before I set off for Lake District and Northumberland two weeks ago.
Never mind I thought, I'll replace it before August when I head over the channel, not thinking Lakes would be scorchio.
Fridge was strugling in the 28c heat so I bypassed the controller and they now run 24/7 until I get home and fix it, but the beers cold :cool:

This is what you need

That's what I used. Half an hours work and now works fine.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I use GD900 thermal paste as it has the best thermal conductivity for the price with a thermal conductivity of 4. 8 w/m-k or better.
You can get thermal paste with 8w/m-k thermal conductivity but for the amount you will need it's prohibitively expensive.
a 30g syringe will normally do a 3 way fridge.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
As far as I understand its just a matter of releasing the fixings that you can see from inside the fridge, smearing the paste everywhere and the refixing the aluminium heat exchanger plate. Last time I looked, and it's on my list if jobs, some of the screws are torx and so.e are crosshead. The way the job was spoken of, its quite straightforward-not quite 5 minute but not far off.
I haven't done myself so plse don't sue me!
Mike

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
That's pretty much it, just the ali fins plate to remove, clean any reside of old paste, mine had virtually none, take care not to damage pipework, apply new paste and refit.
It'll make a massive difference

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I redid mine just before heading to Dumfries area. 5 solid days in the 26-29 C range.

Fridge on gas at mid setting and freezer running at -12, fridge at +5. Used 1 tube on freezer and 2 on fridge. Much heavier coverage to the cooling tubes than last time and a much better result, well pleased.

Screenshot_20230617_214843_Amazon Shopping.jpg

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Is there a step by step guide how to do this?
See post 14.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Big thanks to you all for your replies, very helpful indeed, now what fans do you use😉👍👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
smearing the paste everywhere and the refixing the aluminium heat exchanger plate.
You need to take a bit more care than that if you put the paste on too thick the fridge will work worse.

After you have cleaned off the old gunge you can see the outline of where the pipe makes contact on the heat sink. Just spread the paste on following the pipeline about a millimeter thick no more so when you refit it makes good contact with the pipe.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
You need to take a bit more care than that if you put the paste on too thick the fridge will work worse.

After you have cleaned off the old gunge you can see the outline of where the pipe makes contact on the heat sink. Just spread the paste on following the pipeline about a millimeter thick no more so when you refit it makes good contact with the pipe.
Ah, there you are😁 thanks as always😉👍

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
C‘mon Lenny HB i thought you would have dived straight in to steer me right on what Fans to fit!!
My old ones had a blue led when they were on shining through the grill, this one has got a red led shining through and I think I’d prefer some nice fans with blue leds to shine through the grill when they’re on and spinning round!!
Anyone??

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Ah, there you are😁 thanks as always😉👍
Contrary to Lenny HB‘s advice I would advocate applying the grease to the pipe, rather than the plate to ensure more accurate contact.
When I disassembled mine it looked like the paste had been applied to plate first and had missed the pipe in places.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
So let me get this 100% right regardless of paste on heat sink or pipe, essentially the paste has only got to be between the pipe and the heat sink, it doesn’t need to be anywhere else on the heat sink??

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So let me get this 100% right regardless of paste on heat sink or pipe, essentially the paste has only got to be between the pipe and the heat sink, it doesn’t need to be anywhere else on the heat sink??
Yep, it is just to improve the thermal transfer between the pipe and heatsink.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Contrary to Lenny HB‘s advice I would advocate applying the grease to the pipe, rather than the plate to ensure more accurate contact.
When I disassembled mine it looked like the paste had been applied to plate first and had missed the pipe in places.
Look son I sitting here supping a very large G&T after watching a very good Queen tribute band so you can bog off untill the morning. :rofl:

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
I was only posting from memory, as I said haven't yet been brave enough to investigate what's behind the aluminium (heat/cold sink).
Seem to remember the idea was first posted by Tony from the Lake District. I didn't mean to suggest putting in on with a trowel but enough to encourage cold transfer between the two surfaces.
Mike

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I was only posting from memory, as I said haven't yet been brave enough to investigate what's behind the aluminium (heat/cold sink).
Seem to remember the idea was first posted by Tony from the Lake District. I didn't mean to suggest putting in on with a trowel but enough to encourage cold transfer between the two surfaces.
Mike
Why post then if you have not done the job or understand it.
Paste thickness is fairly critical I know someone who put it on too thick and the fridge hardly had any cooling at all.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I use GD900 thermal paste as it has the best thermal conductivity for the price with a thermal conductivity of 4. 8 w/m-k or better.
You can get thermal paste with 8w/m-k thermal conductivity but for the amount you will need it's prohibitively expensive.
a 30g syringe will normally do a 3 way fridge.

Ignore those figures. I saw a video not long ago and they mean next to nothing. Unless they state the test conditions they can be made to be anything they want.

I didn't absorb too much of the videos info as I just use Noctua thermal paste as they have a fantastic reputation and I love their fans. The quietest best performing fans on the market bar none.

Here is the video. It is interesting and worth a watch.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I
Ignore those figures. I saw a video not long ago and they mean next to nothing. Unless they state the test conditions they can be made to be anything they want.
I can state the test conditions if you want. I first used the Halnziye HY610 Gold with a thermal conductivity of 3.05 w/m-k and it was an improvement over the crap Dometic apply and on the same Dometic RMLS 8051 I later re-pasted the evaporator to fins with GD900 with a thermal conductivity of 4. 8 w/m-k and there was a marked improvement over the Halnziye HY610 Gold

Yes, the Noctua thermal paste may well be good but who's daft enough to fork out over £75 for the amount you need to re-paste their evaporator to fins? :ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I

I can state the test conditions if you want. I first used the Halnziye HY610 Gold with a thermal conductivity of 3.05 w/m-k and it was an improvement over the crap Dometic apply and on the same Dometic RMLS 8051 I later re-pasted the evaporator to fins with GD900 with a thermal conductivity of 4. 8 w/m-k and there was a marked improvement over the Halnziye HY610 Gold
I think you misunderstand me.

The figures quoted by a manufacturer are meaningless unless the test conditions are stated and verified. All you can state categorically from your test is that produc B is a better product than A. You cannot say that the 3.05 or 4.8 figure is accurate or not and under what conditions they are achieved.

I wasn't saying your test conditions were invalid. I don't care about your test conditions. If it worked for you that is all that is necessary. Relative performance is specific to your setup, application and use case. Your experience and personal recommendation is a LOT more valuable than the numbers given. I just don't want people looking at thermal paste and getting excited when they see a 9.8 figure given for £5.

I wasn't having a go at your info. If your experience of the product is good, then that is a valid recommendation. My point was simply this. The figures given in the marketing should not be taken as gospel and should not be a selling point. Watch the video to see why. The two guys in the video are experts at this and their opinions and statement carry a lot of weight with me.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Two on Tour My apologies. I just realised I posted the wrong video. The guy is the man from Thermal Grizzly a very highly rated thermal compound.
He does EXTREME overclocking.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The two guys in the video are experts at this and their opinions and statement carry a lot of weight with me.

For the amount required for the run-of-the-mill motorhome F/F (usually about 30g) the cost is a big factor and for the most part, as you will well know the amount needed for a CPU is only a gram or two, and at £10 and upwards for a 3.5g syringe of the high-performance thermal pastes, to me that makes the experts opinions irrelevant for our intended use for thermal paste, but for CPU cooling, I would likely be interested in their expert opinions.

For Funsters, go with the tried and tested options of other Funsters, and for me, that's either Halnziye HY610 Gold or as I prefer, GD900. ;)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
For the amount required for the run-of-the-mill motorhome F/F (usually about 30g) the cost is a big factor and for the most part, as you will well know the amount needed for a CPU is only a gram or two, and at £10 and upwards for a 3.5g syringe of the high-performance thermal pastes, to me that makes the experts opinions irrelevant for our intended use for thermal paste, but for CPU cooling, I would likely be interested in their expert opinions.

For Funsters, go with the tried and tested options of other Funsters, and for me, that's either Halnziye HY610 Gold or as I prefer, GD900. ;)
I completely agree. But again I am perhaps not getting my point across? It was simply that the figures quoted should not be trusted. As the video says trust the reviews not the figures quoted by the manufacturer.

Your review says GD900 is best. That is good enough for me.

I am just wanting people not to go looking for better prices based on the conductivity figure given by the marketing team as it is meaningless.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back