What do I need? Paste renewal (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I did the paste thing using this stuff and I found it rather runny, and I can’t help thinking that as soon as I put it back vertical it’s all slid off, as the fridge isn’t working very good again, sometimes it’s ok, sometimes not, seems better on ehu and have to have it on full!
The freezer seems ok but the other day they both went warm. Right now it’s gone up a degree since going on gas (6.0) freezer has gone colder (-21) I’m at a loss with the thing, it’s looking like a new fridge!
The gas side has been checked out at premium motorhomes and found to be working as it should, and although the gas has a steady roar, it doesn’t sound like a jet taking off like I’ve heard others do🤷‍♂️😤😤
That doesn’t sound good stuff then?

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
That doesn’t sound good stuff then?
Tbh Paul I expected it to be like putty but it was quite runny, the original stuff I scraped off was a lot firmer than the paste🤷‍♂️
I don’t know what else to do other than spend 3k replacing it but it’s only 6 yrs old🤷‍♂️

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I did the paste thing using this stuff and I found it rather runny, and I can’t help thinking that as soon as I put it back vertical it’s all slid off, as the fridge isn’t working very good again, sometimes it’s ok, sometimes not, seems better on ehu and have to have it on full!
The freezer seems ok but the other day they both went warm. Right now it’s gone up a degree since going on gas (6.0) freezer has gone colder (-21) I’m at a loss with the thing, it’s looking like a new fridge!
The gas side has been checked out at premium motorhomes and found to be working as it should, and although the gas has a steady roar, it doesn’t sound like a jet taking off like I’ve heard others do🤷‍♂️😤😤
How long ago did you redo the thermal paste on your F/F?
Certainly when I did mine sometime back and Brian's (Antique) last year the GD900 was not runny, wondering if yours is a duff batch.
Have you fitted fans in the top vent, and if so are they temperature controlled?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
How long ago did you redo the thermal paste on your F/F?
Certainly when I did mine sometime back and Brian's (Antique) last year the GD900 was not runny, wondering if yours is a duff batch.
Have you fitted fans in the top vent, and if so are they temperature controlled?
Yes did it in June this year, fans temp controlled showing 29.6 at moment! On gas fridge gets warmer freezer gets colder, I never pasted the freezer🤷‍♂️

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I redid mine. This time both fridge and freezer repasted and performance is much improved.

-15 on freezer and +7 on fridge on gas level 3 of 5 and externally 30+ degrees.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
WESTY66. Although not the same brand of paste, ours wasn't runny either, but certainly of a more pliable consistency than the almost dry putty type material it replaced.

-15 on freezer and +7 on fridge on gas level 3 of 5 and externally 30+ degrees.
Similar results here too, and until recently, it worked better than before. I have had to service the F/F lately, with a flue clean, new burner, igniter, and thermocouple to maintain that efficiency. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
You need thermal paste also known as heatsink compound. Lots on eBay etc. Unsure on what size I bought as it's been a while.

Ref the fan inside fridge, I use a small rechargable fold up one that I just place in and run now and again 👍
Have you got a link for one of these please?

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Has anyone tried the official dometic vent fan kit??
Official dometic fan kit?
Seems to attach to the heat /cooling mechanism rather than vent?
Still pondering an easy way to do this (limited DIY skills…) if there is a good ‘kit’ somewhere for a vent fan, which is easy to fit (particularly the 12v bit, as even connecting wires seems disproprtionately difficult…), please let me know.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Still pondering an easy way to do this (limited DIY skills…) if there is a good ‘kit’ somewhere for a vent fan, which is easy to fit (particularly the 12v bit, as even connecting wires seems disproprtionately difficult…), please let me know.
On our old Hymer, I fitted a USB fan to the inside of the upper vent grill, then by use of a USB coupler, an extension lead, and a USB switch, I routed it through to a USB socket. I just turned it on as and when required. It worked well until I later upgraded to 2 x computer fans, which were faster and better at heat extraction.

On the Flair, the twin fan CBE unit was already installed, which is fully automatic, and again does the job well.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Well our fridge is struggling in spain, fins covered in ice, need to clean it off and see if it better, don't know if fitting fans or renewing paste is way to go, it worked fine in higher temperatures in Italy last year.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just to make you feel better Ady, mines all but given up.
The freezer still freezes nicely, however, the fridge is pretty much food poisoning waiting to happen.
Going to have to address it when we get home. 🤨
My domestic 8505 is doing the same. Going to replace it with a Thetford n3145, been troublesome for a few years and fed up getting it repaired

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
My domestic 8505 is doing the same. Going to replace it with a Thetford n3145, been troublesome for a few years and fed up getting it repaired
Mines ok atm after fitting a new fridge door seal, but if it ever went t**s up I’d replace it with a compressor fridge, no question 👍👍

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Well our fridge is struggling in spain, fins covered in ice, need to clean it off and see if it better, don't know if fitting fans or renewing paste is way to go, it worked fine in higher temperatures in Italy last year.
Door seal maybe?
Sounds like it’s working fine if the fins are iced but letting heat in somewhere.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Mines ok atm after fitting a new fridge door seal, but if it ever went t**s up I’d replace it with a compressor fridge, no question 👍👍
That was my thinking but 3/4 night away in winter would hammer the batteries too much with tv heating etc. so 3 way again

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
That was my thinking but 3/4 night away in winter would hammer the batteries too much with tv heating etc. so 3 way again
I get that, but tbh I’d shell out for lithium before I fitted a three way fridge, I haven’t got much faith in them I’m afraid. My little back up 55ltr compressor ff is faultless, goes down to -16 (will go colder) in 32 mins on 12v and stays there regardless of how hot it is outside👍

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Door seal maybe?
Sounds like it’s working fine if the fins are iced but letting heat in somewhere.
Seals are fine, think we may have put too much not very cold stuff in at once, seems a bit better today, thanks.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I get that, but tbh I’d shell out for lithium before I fitted a three way fridge, I haven’t got much faith in them I’m afraid. My little back up 55ltr compressor ff is faultless, goes down to -16 (will go colder) in 32 mins on 12v and stays there regardless of how hot it is outside👍
Do you power that off an inverter and is it on all the time you are away?

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Do you power that off an inverter and is it on all the time you are away?
Nope I power it if a cig lighter socket in garage and yes it stays on all the time, uses very little power once down to temp and to be fair it’s not power hungry getting there👍

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Compressors are the way forward.
The Thetford replacements are around £1500 but obvs solar and lithium to shell out for if it isn’t already installed.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back