what did you fix today (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Had new high pressure valves retro fitted to the wheels which had new tyres. Then removed and repaired the front Seitz roof light. The inner had delaminated from the outer so thorough clean then reassemble with mastic sealant/adhesive.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Sorted my clutch slave cylinder, bled the system, left Condom and now parked at Mortagne sur Gironde drinking Rosé. Cream crackered content.

Will up date Helen thread tomorrow with the gory details. Happy as a pig in ....

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I had a day off with My Grandson today at the pool with him in his water babies class!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Made the second of 4 special Clio Rads today, to hot for welding today though!!
WP_20160719_17_29_06_Pro[1].jpg
WP_20160719_17_30_31_Pro[1].jpg

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Really excellent looking rads! I see that you are in Devon. What is your business called?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Waterpump went on my SAAB 1.9TiD, so new waterpump, cambelt, idlers, tensioner, auxiliary belt and thermostat assembly. Also stripped out the EGR valve and gave it a clean. While I was at it, I undersealed the inner wing and under the air box while it was out.

Took me 6 happy hours and saved a fortune thank goodness:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not MH related but I 'fixed' my house plants today!

Wasn't planned but when opening the curtains this morning one large cactus decided to commit suicide by jumping off the windowsill and throwing itself all over the floor - fortunately it wasn't one with 'hairs' but was spiky! Soil, water everywhere! Couldn't be repotted as it was so I splitting it up into lots of smaller plants and potted them up to give to charity (Hull Greyhound Trust) to sell in their shop, and will just keeping a couple for myself (one plus a spare in case one keels over from shock!). I also had a look at my other plants whilst I was making a mess in the kitchen so ended up splitting and repotting them too! Took ages!!!

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Had a leak from grey water tank so it seemed for the 2 hours i spent undoing inspection plates and tank straps etc.

Turned out a pipe had come away from the top inlet of the tank one of three inlets and was leaking in between and over the tank an insulation etc. Thought i would have to drop grey tank.

Just posting to give information in case someone has same problem with same van.

Hymer starline 680 2000 year , the tank inlets can be accessed by lifting the tops of the steps to the transverse bed and removing the bottoms of cupboards inside , no need to drop grey waste tank. Might apply to other Hymers with same set up.
It might be common knowledge but i thought id post incase it helps someone (y)

Steve.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Had a sticking lock on one of the garage doors so removed all (zadi) barrels and lubricated them.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Fitted a new cig lighter in behind the dashboard. So I can leave the dash cam plugged in all the time.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Indicator wasn't working traced it to a broken wire removed old wire and ran new one
Job done indicator now working
Bill

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Fitted new horn in M/H, old one sucked the Kumara, skipped it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had to look that up as I wasn't sure if you were being rude or not! :X3:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/new-zealand/travel-tips-and-articles/76787

Suck the kumara – endure hard times, lose – possible origins being in death and thus below ground. A kumara is a sweet potato.

Yes It "Died", and as soon as the Garbo's collect it, it will be under ground at the Tip(y)

Thanks MG (y) learning fast:rolleyes: I never knew that you could Google Antipodean slang:hi5:

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Made and fitted 2 new shelves in the wardrobe, removed the expensive "water miser" shower head and fitted a £1 shower head from Wilkos and now using 40 - 50% less water per shower.

Fitted a new one way valve behind the Whale pressure switch on the water tank, tidied up all the wiring to switch and pump, removed all the pipe work, cleaned out the black mould and sterilised the pipes and tank, also cleaned the water level probes, now gives correct reading on the board.

Finished the bed/table set up, the original table was so big we had to squeeze behind it either side, which was ridiculous, so I made a smaller table using the original fittings.

This was good but meant humping the original table in and out of the wardrobe every time the bed was used, so I made a 2 piece platform from 6 ply and covered it in the same carpet as the floor.

I fitted a bar to the top edge of the rear bench seat as this means that the Panel can fit between the 2 bases.

The small piece sits on top of the heater box during the day and the main part sits on the carpet between the seats, apart from the small lip you can barely tell they are there.

Removed all 220v cabling, sockets, lights,junction boxes and cable that a previous owner had run from the wardrobe at the back of the van to the cab area. We don't need mains voltage up there, never used it in 3 years, it was also very badly fitted, unsightly and possibly dangerous.

Fitted a junction box in the telly cupboard, made a 12v lead for the TV, fitted a 220v socket for tv, removed the status aerial on the roof, fitted new coax and ran to tv cupboard and refitted aerial.

Used the junction box to rewire the reversing camera and both camera and tv are now switchable from the control panel.

Freed up the seized temperature controller on the kitchen sink.

Removed the very ugly 220v lights over the table.

Fitted a 12v socket to the forward bench seat for charging phones/tablets etc.

Fitted a new backboard to the front bench seat. The previous owner had cut the original away and replaced it with 3 pieces of loose teak t&g. No idea why.

Re-sited the tracker and fixed the gps module and the aerial in place.

Sorted the fault on the battery master which was due to a dodgy scotchlock connector.

Fixed the step so it no longer needs Geof Capes to set it up or down.

I had removed the massive piece of 8ply that bridges the gap between the dash and windscreen previously to see what the condition was, brought the required bits and this time carried out the repairs to the board and the soundproofing and then cleaned off all surfaces and resealed, then replaced the demisters and refitted the carpet.

Altered the dash mounted fan so it doesn't wobble any more.

Fitted the sat nav bracket to the dash so it sits directly behind the wheel with a clear view, no more taking my eyes off the road to look sideways and no more squinting when I couldn't see the screen due to bright sunlight.

Made and fitted a cup holder shelf for passenger and drivers sides and fitted dual sockets under each shelf, 2 X 5v USB to the passenger side and 2 X 12v sockets to my side for sat nav and camera.

Fitted 2 X led lights to cab, one either side, mainly to hide the great big holes left after removing the 220v monstrosities.

Underneath the drop down bed either side is a plastic skirt to hold the original cab lights, the previous owner had screwed some rather ugly pine quadrant in the corners of this.

On removing these it exposed a mass of glue that had been forced into the gap between skirt and bed, what a mess.

A quick look showed that both the plastic skirts had split at both ends at the top, and when moved it squeaked very loudly.

Using one of the many holes that been drilled through the skirt and metal frame behind it I used a joiner that is normally used to lock flat pack furniture units together, drilled the hole in the metal fram slightly larger to accommodate it and fashioned a wooden shim as a strainer to keep the skirt in the correct position.

After tightening there are no longer any squeaks from either side, just the visible mess from the glue. I will use some brown mastic to mask this for now as it will, at some future date, be recovered in grey.

Removed the mirror arms again and gave them both a light rubdown to key up the surface and gave a final coat of black hammered finish paint.

Did a few other small bits that I can't remember at the moment but that was my week at Sunnybrook farm.

Vic

Last edited:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Pheeeeew!
Time for a beer and a rest!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Vic you have been busy some great ideas too.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Vic you have been busy some great ideas too.

Thanks, she is an old gal who needs a lot of TLC to bring her up to a decent condition, but I am slowly getting there.

We have lately been toying with buying something younger and if we do I would like to pass her on to a new owner in decent Nick, not the mess we found after buying her.

She was a "heart over head" purchase, I didn't look too far below the surface until after buying her, but I have been encouraged by joining this great forum.

As is often said, "Best 15 quid I ever spent", pity I didn't find it before I bought.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Had to replace the seat belt on our A Class Dethleffs its build into the seat complete pain to change ,but all sorted now ready for the mot

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I did a temporary repair of my bathroom tap micro switch wire. I couldn't get wire out without dissembling the tap but there was enough wire to solder the wires back together, I will run a new wire when I get back to the UK.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The radiator on my MH started leaking just three days before our holiday the new one arrived yesterday Ben up since 5am be rad fitted and we are off. On our holiday watch out wales the wilds are on their way
Willdbill :party:::bigsmile:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
The radiator on my MH started leaking just three days before our holiday the new one arrived yesterday Ben up since 5am be rad fitted and we are off. On our holiday watch out wales the wilds are on their way
Willdbill :party:::bigsmile:
Have a good holiday

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back