Weight again.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by RGCH999, Mar 3, 2016.

1. RGCH999

RGCH999 Funster

Took the van to the weighbridge yesterday and obtained some interesting results.
    Fiat Ducato panel van conversion is on a maxi chassis with a mgw of 3500 kg and1850 on front and 2000 on rear.
    The vehicle was loaded up with a full tank of diesel 100 litres which is about 90 kg and 60% onboard water, 10 gallons about 45kg.
    Also loaded up the driveaway awning and all usual accessories inc a couple of chairs.
    Only thing missing was the other half, clothing, personal affects and food.
    Results on the weighbridge were as follows.
    Front. 1700
    Rear. 1620
    Full. 3480
    So it would appear that I need to reduce the amount of water when travelling, which I normally do, carrying only enough for the journey and saving maybe 35 kg.
    That will allow the wife to get in.
    It's then a choice of ditch the awning and take food and clothing.!!!
    I was a little surprised as I thought the front and rear would have been closer to the max, but it wasn't to be. How others manage to carry heavy e bikes on their panel van conversions I don't know.
    Vehicle is fitted with air ride at the rear so nice and stable. Also uprated wheels but still 15". Don't really want to up plate the vehicle but could do with another 100kg on the mgw.
    The positives are I now know the correct tyre pressures for the Continental tyres is 55 front, up to 1785 kg and 60 rear, up to 1675.

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The lack of proper payload on many motorhomes today is a scandal. I'd guess many thousands of motorhomes are well over-weight and the owners just don't have a clue. I'm intending to collate a table of real world payloads to make public here.

• Like Like x 11
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I agree with Jim, think a lot of motorhomes are over loaded.
    Some because people are not aware about weights and payloads and some that "dont give a stuff"..
    Surprised you have air ride on a panel van, would have thought you did not need it plus even that adds to the weight..

Good luck with sorting it...

• Like Like x 3
  4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

When we had the scooter rack and scooter on we had to travel with 1/2 tank of fuel, 10lts of water and little or no food. On top of that nothing could be stored in garage area or under the bed area because of rear weight. Now with scooter rack, scooter, air con, have been removed we can now use garage, travel with full tank, some water ( don't see why you need full water tank ) and 2 x eBikes in garage and weight in (last check) 3450kg, with wife on board. If we go over weight I get wife to follow on the eBike:)
    I agree with Jim it's a scandal, but more worrying is that some MH's owners don't care...........

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. urban_biker

urban_biker Funster

I weighed in our Elddis 180 at 3050kg (3500kg max) the other day which I was quite happy with. That was with empty tanks, and lowish fuel load but with all bedding, pots pans and sundry gear aboard, wind breaks etc. Plus it has Fiamma awning, tow bar and bikes rack attached (no bikes).

Even so 450kg should leave us an OK payload, assuming roughly 200kg extra required for wife and kids. Supposedly a 6 berth but 6 people would mean a pretty limited payload. Fine for 4 of us though.

I'll probably remove the towbar at some point to save a bit more weight.

6. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

Surely just leave wife at home, pack a few more crates of beer and hey ho jobs a good un as they say.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Am I missing something here but the figures you have shown just don't seem right.
    There's a heck of a lot of disparity between the two axles individual weights and the sum of the whole (160kgs).
    I could understand 60kgs but not another ton(sic) on top.

It looks like you'll have to go down the SVTech route. You have the capacity in each axle. It's 'just'? the Gross thats the problem.

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It's worth talking to Sv Tech as I have a similar vehicle to yours and it could be uprated to 4250 kg as a purely paper exercise. I suspect yours may not go as high, 3850 would be my guess but the point is your vehicle may be over weight in the legal sense but it probably isn't unsafe.

And as above, try another weighbridge first as the one you went to is a bit iffy assuming there isn't a typo.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

1000Kg = 1 tonne.

10. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Yes Tony But, in the context in my comment ie 160kgs minus 60kgs is 100.
    That is why (sic) was inserted.
    Regards

11. RGCH999

RGCH999 Funster

Ok just to clear up a few points having spoken to stech. Yes they can up plate it easily to 3850 for £312. Not sure if I want to go down that route with medicals etc.
    Interestingly he stated that a weighbridge could be up to 100kg out, which is alarming, but more interesting is that unless you use a split weighbridge, the readings for front and rear need to be taken as really just a guide. Because of the length of the weighbridge, if it isn't split, the front and rear readings may well not be accurate, and that would account for the difference between the actual front and rear added together, being vastly different from the Max gross shown.
    Think I will just go with what I've got, and be aware that when fully loaded I am close to the limit or very slightly over. I can't see clothing and food adding a huge amount, and the fuel will be going down every mile, so by the time I get where I'm going I'll likely be under weight.

• Like Like x 2
  12. RGCH999

RGCH999 Funster

I had thought of that, but it didn't go down too well.

13. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

I guess then if you do get stopped to be weighed you can jettison the wife at that point.

14. RGCH999

RGCH999 Funster

Either that or drink the extra cans quickly.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Are you sure its a Maxi chassis? I thought they had 16" wheels as standard?

• Like Like x 2
  16. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

Ours is a similar case. Went on the weighbridge at Totana, which has a maximum capacity of 60 tons.The van's plate shows a gross weight of 5 tons, with a 2 tons allowance for the front axle and 3.5 tons for the rear axle. Frankia say my build number came out of the factory at 4005kgs, and I believe that our awning and Oyster dish were after market additions.

The van was weighed with both axles on the "Bascula Publica". There was 120 litres of fresh water onboard, empty waste tank, 55 litres of diesel, our usual Camping stuff, (but we longer carry a towbar or a 4.5metre Fiamma safari room - heavy!). Ros and the dog stayed on board but I got out to put the (1.5) Euros in (expensive or what?) and collect the ticket.

I was surprised to see that the ticket read 4970kgs! So, strictly speaking, I shouldn't have got into the van to drive away without emptying the fresh water tank to bring the weight down within the plated figure of 5000kgs. (I weigh a little more than 30kgs.)

SV Tech have indicated that the van can be replated to 5500kgs as a paper exercise and I'm applying to DVLA as soon as I get home for the increase. I'm surprised that our general Camping clutter plus awning and Oyster dish comes to nearly a ton!

Norman

PS At Camping Maria (ACSI) in Sierra Maria it's still 20° outside at 5pm and there's not a cloud in the Sky and we are the only people on the campsite. The mountains are spectacular!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

Ours is a similar case. Went on the weighbridge at Totana, which has a maximum capacity of 60 tons.The van's plate shows a gross weight of 5 tons, with a 2 tons allowance for the front axle and 3.5 tons for the rear axle. Frankia say my build number came out of the factory at 4005kgs, and I believe that our awning and Oyster dish were after market additions.

The van was weighed with both axles on the "Bascula Publica". There was 120 litres of fresh water onboard, empty waste tank, 55 litres of diesel, our usual Camping stuff, (but we longer carry a towbar or a 4.5metre Fiamma safari room - heavy!). Ros and the dog stayed on board but I got out to put the (1.5) Euros in (expensive or what?) and collect the ticket.

I was surprised to see that the ticket read 4970kgs! So, strictly speaking, I shouldn't have got into the van to drive away without emptying the fresh water tank to bring the weight down within the plated figure of 5000kgs. (I weigh a little more than 30kgs.)

SV Tech have indicated that the van can be replated to 5500kgs as a paper exercise and I'm applying to DVLA as soon as I get home for the increase. I'm surprised that our general Camping clutter plus awning and Oyster dish comes to nearly a ton!

Norman
    The ticket read

19. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I did too. My maxi is 2100kg front axle. Thought that was why it is called a MAXI

20. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

deleted