Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The standard Ducato light chassis I believe has a MTPLM of 3300kg/3500kg (although some seem to have 3400kg but I don't know if that's when the 3300kg is converted to coachbuilt!).

A Maxi is the heavy chassis and, AFAIK, always on 16" wheels and has beefed up bits and bobs so it can carry up to 4250kg without modification with 2100kg on front, 2400kg on rear without any physical modifications being needed (although the new one may be able to go up to 2500kg on the rear based on Techno's post info).

So if you've only got 15" wheels it won't be a Maxi (ie heavy) chassis, but a standard 'light' chassis - it may be possible to uprate it to 3800kg without modification but not beyond that.

I recently uprated our Maxi from 3500kg to 4250kg as a paper exercise (4500kg was possible but I'd probably have had to modify the suspension, put on higher rated tyres etc, not sure as I didn't need to look into this as 4250kg was more than enough!). I used a different company from SVTech as they were a LOT cheaper - details on this thread:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...one-done-it-themselves-not-via-svtech.108656/

This is the chap/company I used:

Mr AHJ Ruffles (calls himself John)
company is JR Consultancy
tel: 01359 250808 / 01244 544 598
johnatjrcon@aol.com

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure about the maxi requirements. Definitely 15" wheels and mgw of 3500. Thought the ordinary one was a mgw of 3300. It's a 3 litre auto so maybe it gets a slight upgrade cos of that. I'm sure someone on the forum will know. Maybe the converter upgrades it slightly?
IMV you haven't got a Maxi (heavy chassis), just a standard Ducato (light chassis) which was available up to a maximum of 3500kg as standard.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Results on the weighbridge were as follows.
Front. 1700
Rear. 1620
Full. 3480
That adds up to 3320kg not 3480kg ... where did you get the 'full' figure from? Did the weighbridge tot it up or you????

What we've found is that its best to do the weight check a few times as it can vary depending on how quickly you drive over the 'weight' plates so we usually do it a few times and take the 2 closest readings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not seen it before but Hymer now recommend travelling with just 20lt of fresh water.
I don't think they recommend it. The new rules on MIRO allows the maker to specify the amount of water they allow in the tanks when the MIRO is calculated. Hymer's figure only allows 20l. On our Hymer you can part open the water tank drain to allow everything but 20l drain out!

Ours is on a Maxi chassis with a Maximum mass of 4500kg. The rear axle can take 2500kg. The front axle has a factory fitted front spring upgrade to increase the maximum load on the front axle to 2300kg

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don't think they recommend it. The new rules on MIRO allows the maker to specify the amount of water they allow in the tanks when the MIRO is calculated. Hymer's figure only allows 20l. On our Hymer you can part open the water tank drain to allow everything but 20l drain out!

Ours is on a Maxi chassis with a Maximum mass of 4500kg. The rear axle can take 2500kg. The front axle has a factory fitted front spring upgrade to increase the maximum load on the front axle to 2300kg
Our Globecar has the ability to empty the tank and just leave a quarter (around 25L) of water in it without having to 'guess' when to turn the drain tap off!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Knew I had seen it somewhere, in the Hymer technical data booklet it states " Water supply(approx litres while driving) 20lt "
It is part of the MIRO allowance .

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a Hymer Exsis on Fiat Alko chassis GVW 4250 kg front 2100kg. Rear 2400kg,am able to load all equipment and full tank of water and fuel plus two full 11kg gas bottles missus an me and two dogs and tow bar, weighs in at 4000kg it has 16" wheels so could save weight if required by using the 20lt valve on the fresh tank. We only do this if towing the trailer as it saves the nose weight of the trailer.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Go to another weightbridge and get the definitive answer as to the weights, It may be that the one you used was out of calibration and dirty etc the mechanism is prone to variation load cells are better but some of the older ones are still mecanicl ones and the ones used by heavy vehicle constantly get most stick.
Drive front wheels on as far as possible to the centre with the rear ones just short, drive on completely to the centre and get a total then drive front wheels just off to get the best weigh. You might be surprised at the differences involved.
What is the vehicle MIRO from the makers, it SHOULD be accurate and weigh everything you add if possible.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Read the earlier posts folks! Especially the one about the conversation with SV Tech. :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our Miro allows 80% of fresh water, gas and fuel, plus 75kg of me. That means I have a payload of around 300kg, which wasn't enough so we uprated, we now have 500kg payload, plenty for a couple of weeks shopping!

OP
OP
RGCH999
Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
Just to clarify a few points raised. It appears I have the standard rather than maxi Fiat, but have the slightly uprated weight as it stipulates 3500 as the maximum, so maybe this was an option when new. As far as the weighbridge was concerned it was designed for large long vehicles and the platform was very long, at least the length of an articulated unit, and a single platform. Could probably have got three of my length (5.99 metre) on. It had a slight gradient on approach and departure.
Drove front wheels on for first weight over front axle. Bear in mind there is now about 15 metres of weighbridge in front with nothing else on, as it is not a split bridge.
Then drove into the middle for total weight, and then drove off leaving just the rear wheels on the tail end of the bridge.
Based on what I have read on the forum and the stech advice, I think I probably need to take it for a second opinion. I was expecting the weight to be running at about 3350-3400 based on the info I have and the details provided by manufacturer, which is why I was surprised by the difference between the two axle weights added together and the gross weight. Second trip needed to a different weigh bridge I reckon. Thanks for everyone's input.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
See if you can find a 'rolling' one, ie where you drive over slowly rather than a 'weight plate' type - we do ours at the local docks FOC, we don't get a ticket obviously but that's not a problem, so long as we make sure we're under the limit we don't need to worry ... or I should say we didn't need to worry ... now we've uprated we've got more payload than we know what to do with!:D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
J As far as the weighbridge was concerned It had a slight gradient on approach and departure.

& that is where the discrepancy is . You'd be amazed how much the weight will be out with a sloping approach when trying to weigh individual axles. Unless it is dead flat then I wouldn't bother as the axles weights are bound to be erroneous . the overall will be the correct one.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
& that is where the discrepancy is . You'd be amazed how much the weight will be out with a sloping approach when trying to weigh individual axles. Unless it is dead flat then I wouldn't bother as the axles weights are bound to be erroneous . the overall will be the correct one.
Yes, the operator at our local scale said that the individual weights were a guide only due to the slight slope, but enough to go on.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes, the operator at our local scale said that the individual weights were a guide only due to the slight slope, but enough to go on.
Maybe for a 40 ton artic but not a MH!

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
The lack of proper payload on many motorhomes today is a scandal. I'd guess many thousands of motorhomes are well over-weight and the owners just don't have a clue. I'm intending to collate a table of real world payloads to make public here.
Oh yes please, something needs to be done before Steve has a stroke. The weigh bridge guy gave us a free go last time, frequent flyer.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Is it true that you're allowed to be 10% over if you're stopped and weighed?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes, if 15" wheels then surely on the light chassis, not the maxi
Hymer (and maybe others) appear to order modified Maxi chassis. My 2005 B584 is on a Maxi chassis but ..... it has 15" wheels and is plated at 3500Kg. Having 15" instead of 16" sounds like a simple change but the different wheel sizes come with different brakes and therefore a different hub assembly. The 15" & 16" PCDs differ too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
IMPORTANT:

John's email was hacked so he has a new email address now: truckcon@outlook.com
Hi Minxy Girl, the email address doesn't work as I get an undelivered error message.
I sent him an email to the first address that you posted and will follow up with a phone call if I don't get a rely.
Many thanks for doing the research to break the SvTech monopoly.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hi Minxy Girl, the email address doesn't work as I get an undelivered error message.
I sent him an email to the first address that you posted and will follow up with a phone call if I don't get a rely.
Many thanks for doing the research to break the SvTech monopoly.
worked for me, not bounced back

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Is it true that you're allowed to be 10% over if you're stopped and weighed?
I doubt it. If your max weight is 3500kg, 10% leeway would allow you up to 3850kg. If you're plated at 3850kg, 10% would let you drive at 4,235kg. And so on. Nobody would have a problem.
It is likely there is some leeway, but not that much, and it may vary from one country to another. Best to get it right I think.

Reactions: kcy

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the police and vosa normally agree 5% is the max before vehicles cant be moved till the excess weight is removed . if 10%then a prosecution will follow . thats the normal guide written in transport managers books .

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I guess then if you do get stopped to be weighed you can jettison the wife at that point.
I told mine that if we are stopped for a weigh check to get out(for a better phone signal ) and wander off up the road a bit. I get weighed and pick her up on the way out, She is not at all heavy but it might be close enough to be needed.
They are not commercial load carriers so there might actually be sod all you can do if it that heavy anyway. It makes me wonder what the load capacity of the same vehicle as a box van for goods is. Why the weight is there no lighter materials they can use to make them other than chipboard mud and twigs and why a floor of 30mm plywood when a van is half that for a load going on it.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I doubt they're stupid enough to not take account of the passengers weight whether in the van or out

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Drop the grey water before travelling, there is no point carrying it just for fun, and it is amusing watching the following vehicle skidding off the road.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back