Weighbridge surprise (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Popped onto the weighbridge near Sutton Bridge today whilst passing. 2160kg on rear axle! Pretty much in fighting trim but I don't have much of a garage so no real weight beyond the axle. I'll have to sharpen my pencil a little bit to keep it below the 2400kg allowed. No idea how people manage with a 2000kg axle and a garage.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Popped onto the weighbridge near Sutton Bridge today whilst passing. 2160kg on rear axle! Pretty much in fighting trim but I don't have much of a garage so no real weight beyond the axle. I'll have to sharpen my pencil a little bit to keep it below the 2400kg allowed. No idea how people manage with a 2000kg axle and a garage.
You've still got quite a lot behind the rear axle. Every kg you add back there will add a little more than a kg to the rear axle (and lift a little from the front). Keep dense stuff forward if you can.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Never knew of that weighbridge, fortunately we had one near the Kings Lynn stadium, Frontier Quarries, past the travellers site, I used to breathe in when I passed there. :oops:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dunnah01
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
You've still got quite a lot behind the rear axle. Every kg you add back there will add a little more than a kg to the rear axle (and lift a little from the front). Keep dense stuff forward if you can.
But I've nothing of much weight beyond the rear axle. Those that carry ebikes, awnings, scooters, BBQs, spare kitchen sinks must be well over 2400kg let alone 2000kg.

OP
OP
dunnah01
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Never knew of that weighbridge, fortunately we had one near the Kings Lynn stadium, Frontier Quarries, past the travellers site, I used to breathe in when I passed there. :oops:
I've noticed the 'Public Weighbridge' sign a few times so decided to have a look today. It's in the Halifax & Johnson Ltd yard. Ā£8 for a printed certificate. I only did the rear axle as the front is always well under.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Will be doing a weighbridge run soon, with our revised carrier for bikes, we are fine with the easilifter as most of the weight is on the wheels. But john wants the altenative of using the fitting with a bike rack (no wheels) has been his winter project.

Jun 6, 2015
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Accordo105
Exp
Since 2007
Looking on local web-sites there is only mention of one weighbridge in the Basingstoke area, that being Snook's Farm in Monk Sherborne, however that is down a narrow country lane. If you live in the area you could try Bryan Hirst (scrap dealer) in Chineham Business Park. They confirmed today they charge Ā£10.00 per weigh in, and access is good from the A33 Basingstoke to Reading road

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Cant find anywhere near us in Lincoln that will do the axles separately. They will do the whole van, but that is it.

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Lookout for decent sized scrap metal merchants, most have a weighbridge. Take a couple of packets of biscuits with you & they'll be very happy!

Reactions: HKF
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Cant find anywhere near us in Lincoln that will do the axles separately. They will do the whole van, but that is it.
Or ask a MOT station able to test your van. Ours were happy to give a per axle reading as part of a recent MOT test, the equipment is capable.

Oct 27, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
2021 Carado V132 LHD
Exp
since 2005
Looking on local web-sites there is only mention of one weighbridge in the Basingstoke area, that being Snook's Farm in Monk Sherborne, however that is down a narrow country lane. If you live in the area you could try Bryan Hirst (scrap dealer) in Chineham Business Park. They confirmed today they charge Ā£10.00 per weigh in, and access is good from the A33 Basingstoke to Reading road
if you're north side of Basingstoke you can use A1 Recycling on Bearwood Road, Barkham (Wokingham). A tenner for an authorised and signed certificate.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
It is quite easy, I just make sure I donā€™t exceed the recommended weight.

Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
detleffs
2000 is tight but achievable. I went through up-plating our Dethleffs Trend 7057 to 2000kg on the rear axle (Ducati max I think) as I was running at around 1880 ā€˜at fighting weightā€™ against (then) a 1900 limit. The one unhelpful design constraint is 2 x large LPG cylinders behind the rear axle but even with that our garage isnā€™t too bad. We carry 1 x e-bike and 1x normal bike plus ancilluaries, a blokes bits box, 25 m power lead, hose, a blokes bits box (LPG, EHU and tap adaptors etc), CADAC BBQ, 2 chairs, table, toolbox, wheel lock, mats and normally 5-10 L water and a bit wine/beer that wonā€™t fit inside. I have relocated the jack and compressor to the superfluous footwell at the side of the driverā€™s seat. I am hoping to add a spare wheel once I can source one which will add 40kg. That may be the time for me to look at air bags on the rearā€¦ā€¦.. or a 4250 chassis!

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi folks. We were worried about axle weights so we loaded up for a trip and went to the local council place. They do both axles and the whole vehicle. We had plenty to spare even though we had a full water tank.
Worth keeping en eye out for load creep. I.e. ā€˜Oh Iā€™ll just pop that in, just in case.ā€™ Or, ā€˜Iā€™ll keep the old bit even though Iā€™ve changed to a new one - just in case.ā€™ It is so easy to fill your cupboards rather than take the stuff you need.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Hi folks. We were worried about axle weights so we loaded up for a trip and went to the local council place. They do both axles and the whole vehicle. We had plenty to spare even though we had a full water tank.
Worth keeping en eye out for load creep. I.e. ā€˜Oh Iā€™ll just pop that in, just in case.ā€™ Or, ā€˜Iā€™ll keep the old bit even though Iā€™ve changed to a new one - just in case.ā€™ It is so easy to fill your cupboards rather than take the stuff you need.
I weighed mine fully loaded and recorded the axle weights in this spreadsheet. If I add or remove anything, I enter the weight and position into the spreadsheet, and the axle weights update.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Iā€™ve just come back from our local bridge ,nearly fully loaded ,full fuel ,gas ,water ,two dogs ,most of my wifeā€™s clothes (only two wardrobes to gošŸ¤Ŗ)fair amount of food and all the usual paraphernalia ,but minus the wife (visiting the nail technician šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«)
Front axle 1650kg
Rear axle 2000kg
All on 3720kg
We up plated last year to 3850kg so happy daysšŸ‘

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Iā€™ve just come back from our local bridge ,nearly fully loaded ,full fuel ,gas ,water ,two dogs ,most of my wifeā€™s clothes (only two wardrobes to gošŸ¤Ŗ)fair amount of food and all the usual paraphernalia ,but minus the wife (visiting the nail technician šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«)
Front axle 1650kg
Rear axle 2000kg
All on 3720kg

About same as us , without dogs.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Front axle 1650kg
Rear axle 2000kg
All on 3720kg
Errrr ... How heavy is Felicie? :imoutahere:

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
How do you measure it though?. You need to know the weight of everything and how far it is from the axle.
Sorry taken so long to reply. First I took my MH to the weighbridge, then weighed and recorded everything loaded on board. Not as difficult as you may think. Any changes are deducted or added, making sure I am under my gross weight and axle weights. Clothes are bagged and weighed and when removed deducted until the next lot. Many things are left all the time so once weighed thatā€™s it.
I must add that we are also very light travellers, we only take what we need, this includes two electric bikes in the garage. We only take 30 or 40 litres of water when we leave then top up on site. Drinking water is bottled.

Oct 5, 2021
Thame UK
Funster No
MH
boxer compass 140
Exp
A newbie solo
Or ask a MOT station able to test your van. Ours were happy to give a per axle reading as part of a recent MOT test, the equipment is capable.
got two now near me one in Wheatley and one in Oakley [oxfordshire]

OP
OP
dunnah01
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Sorry taken so long to reply. First I took my MH to the weighbridge, then weighed and recorded everything loaded on board. Not as difficult as you may think. Any changes are deducted or added, making sure I am under my gross weight and axle weights. Clothes are bagged and weighed and when removed deducted until the next lot. Many things are left all the time so once weighed thatā€™s it.
I must add that we are also very light travellers, we only take what we need, this includes two electric bikes in the garage. We only take 30 or 40 litres of water when we leave then top up on site. Drinking water is bottled.
Simply weighing each item doesn't really tell you the rear axle weight. You need to multiply their weight by some factor depending on where they're is placed in the Moho. If behind the rear axle the weight will be greater than if placed in front of the rear axle so typically two 25kg ebikes in the garage could add 75kg to the rear axle. There was a spreadsheet in an earlier post that worked it out for you.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Like I said we travel light and make sure we are evenly distributed. We donā€™t have a Long overhang. The actual weight in my garage is well under maximum weight of the rear axle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back