Votes: 10 12.0%

• Total voters

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Been using Google Maps for years, find it great for planning routes and navigating..

Recently heard that Waze was good, and owned by Google, so gave it a try ...

well, I was going to but it wouldn't work. kept getting the message

"Something went wrong, Try again", .. and that was just setting my Home address.. try umpteen times , no success

Rebooted phone, re launched Waze... still the same.. so decided just to delete it..

Anyone using Waze successful ?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Been using Google Maps for years, find it great for planning routes and navigating..

"Someone went wrong, Try again", .. and that was just setting my Home address..

Rebooted phone, re launched Waze... still the same.. so decided just to delete it..

No never had much luck with it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

"Someone went wrong, Try again", .. and that was just setting my Home address..

I just downloaded it again, kept wanting a password but eventually it let me in without one. I put in destination uttoxeter 5 mile away, sent me to Walsall, don't think I'll bother.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Interesting read... but still don't know why Waze wont work for me .. 🤔

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
only use google now the main problem i have with it is the speedometer on it is too small and the one on the fiat is well out so i bought a gps speedo all good now

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I use both but Waze shows vehicle speed and speed limit on the screen, with an audible warning if you are over the limit. I find it easier to read the Waze speedo on Apple CarPlay than read the ridiculous Fiat Ducato one. Waze also has member warnings about pot holes and broken down vehicles. Google is better at rerouting and route planning.

May 16, 2021
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport Ti650 mg
Exp
MoHo since 2019
Only use WAZE including driving through France/Spain & only week before last on Lanzarote, works perfectly for me.

Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
Waze is great on a car or a bike, BUT...it hates delays of any sort and will route you down obsure unsuitable roads to get around them. My van in a narrow bodied 6m one and the route I was sent down, I wouldn't have been overly comfortable with in my medium size car!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I use Garmin in car and motorhome, accurate mapping and speed info and warnings.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
I only use Waze on my phone and in my car. I actually think it’s quite good. It does want to make the odd silly what it thinks is a short cut sometimes to save you possibly 1 second. 😁 Use my Garmin truck capable sat nav in the van though.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Waze is owned by Google. They use the same mapping. And there's a lot of cross over of the data. If enough Waze users report an issue, it'll appear on Google Maps. The routing algorithms are not the same, but as they are running on the same maps and similar congestion data, they end up with pretty similar results. So basically it boils down to the user interface.

I've been a hardcore Google Maps on mobile user since it appeared in an early release of Android (Doughnut?). It's consistently had the best mapping and the most up to date and detailed congestion information. I've preferred the high quality of information in Google Maps above the very rare need to divert because I've got a wide vehicle.

... But in the past few months, the quality has bombed. Lots of mapping mistakes. Even more direction errors. I've heard rumours they are using AI tools for map generation and they've cut staff. I'm losing confidence.

Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
Yes I use Waze and it seems to be the most reliable for avoiding traffic.
It probably has the same traffic feeds as other satnavs have, but the key thing with Waze is that it takes crowd-sourced traffic data as well which seems to make it faster to react to jams.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Tried Waze for a while but went back to Google maps. Although Waze is now a 'google' product I found that the ability of Google maps to pick up on previous searches undertaken on Google maps on my PC or tablet at home very useful. Waze doesn't do this.

Along with the ability to download routes.

Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
Waze picked up regular routes that I was taking.
I visit my dad once a week, and every week his home address comes up as a suggested destination.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I visit my dad once a week, and every week his home address comes up as a suggested destination.
I use SatNav for every journey that's more then a few minutes. Even if I know where I'm going. Very frequently there's disruption. Even if I don't divert, it's useful to know I'm going to be late.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.

Sorry yes I probably wasn't being very clear.

Yes indeed it will do this ie remember previous locations you have visited or searched for within Waze, but what it won't do is if you search for a location in Google Maps (which I do to check out locations on street view) it won't remember those searches and pull them up on Waze.

You have to search again for them on Waze.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018

"Something went wrong, Try again", .. and that was just setting my Home address.. try umpteen times , no success

Yup.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Can you plot goole map routes on a PC and then download them?

You can send a route from a PC to a phone or tablet yes. Though I've not tried it.

Google maps.JPG

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You can send a route from a PC to a phone or tablet yes. Though I've not tried it.
Or, if you're planning a multi day trip, save each part of the trip to a spreadsheet as a hyperlink (look in the share menu). At the start of each day, just click on the link and it loads the route.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Or, if you're planning a multi day trip, save each part of the trip to a spreadsheet as a hyperlink (look in the share menu). At the start of each day, just click on the link and it loads the route.
I am so glad these type of planning things weren't around when I was on the road, selling.
Company would have been able to see where I was going and when, and then would never have got to see the amount of Motorhome dealers I did.
All part of " research" you understand.;);):cool::LOL:

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
I am so glad these type of planning things weren't around when I was on the road, selling.
Company would have been able to see where I was going and when, and then would never have got to see the amount of Motorhome dealers I did.
All part of " research" you understand.;);):cool::LOL:

Or even retrospectively, the ability to see where I have been on any given day still fascinates me.

Could prove useful I guess at some point, but not if you have undertaken some sort of nefarious activity. If planning a major crime, remember to leave your phone at home.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Or even retrospectively, the ability to see where I have been on any given day still fascinates me.

Could prove useful I guess at some point, but not if you have undertaken some sort of nefarious activity. If planning a major crime, remember to leave your phone at home.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I shall bear these pointers in mind when I next plan my assault on Maccy D's for a snackette WITHOUT Mrs YP.

Feb 19, 2023
Leyland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Excel 690L
Exp
Since August 2022
If you go into settings, then privacy you can delete drive history and also any locations that it has saved. This can be useful !

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I like Google maps, but also have the Waze App which I occasionally use. I like the pothole warning feature.

However, we live close to the M4 so most East-West journeys involve going along it. I just entered details for a well known known destination in Taunton into both Apps.

Google Maps took me straight to the M4 via the best route. Waze chose a B road, parallel to the M4 for about 15 miles, before joining the M4.

I believe Waze is good in city environments.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Been using waze for about 5 years in car and motorhome, no problems and find it great, especially for speed cameras.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back