Visiting Switzerland in a Motor home/camper (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
We are spending the weekend in a place called Nantua in France which is about one and a half hours drive from Geneva. I was thinking of driving up to Geneva and doing a tour around the lake. I have something in the back of my mind telling me that you have to buy a permit or something to be able to take a motorhome into Switzerland. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?
I have tried a search without much success.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We are spending the weekend in a place called Nantua in France which is about one and a half hours drive from Geneva. I was thinking of driving up to Geneva and doing a tour around the lake. I have something in the back of my mind telling me that you have to buy a permit or something to be able to take a motorhome into Switzerland. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?
I have tried a search without much success.
What is you MPLTM? It makes a difference

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
What is MPLTM if its the weight of the camper its 3.5 tons
It is and you are fine, purchase a Vignette at the Border. Go in the car lane marked Vignette. The guard will sell you one 40CHF, stick it on the left of the windscreen - job done.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My mind is a stream of disjointed consciousness today. A couple of things to add for you @Mikescuba. At some of the more remote border points, you will have to stop and ask for a vignette, but I had a quick look on the map, the most convenient crossing points for you won't be an issue.
Also may I recommend Lausanne, it is a lovely little place to visit, and there is an Olympic walk on the lake side. The public transport system is very good in Switzerland, so pitch up and use the busses to get into the towns.
Final tip, when you pay with a debit/credit card in shops etc, the machines will ask whether you want to pay GBP or CHF, select CHF and then you get your banks rate of exchange. If you select GBP [oops edited that] it is their rate of exchange which isn't as good (usually)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Many thanks I managed to find something on line. Couldn't remember it was called a vignette. I see they are valid till the end of December which is great as I want to go again, next time to Grindelwald. Wont have time this time round. We live in France which is about a four hour drive from Geneva. So definitely on the cards for late August when the Cote d'Azur is still busy.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
As far as I recall, the vignette is only required if you want to drive on the Swiss motorways. If you are happy to drive on regular roads, then you don't need one. I have to confess that we always get one, because the Swiss motorways are so convenient, but that's just personal choice.

Driving round the lake is wonderful: Lausanne is very pretty, as is Vevey, next along to the East. You should also try to stop off in Montreux, which is quite beautiful, but VERY expensive!

There are excellent walking opportunities in the hills and mountains around the lake, too.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I think you'll find the vignette is valid for 14 months, from Dec 1 of the previous year to January 31 of the next year.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
As far as I recall, the vignette is only required if you want to drive on the Swiss motorways. If you are happy to drive on regular roads, then you don't need one. I have to confess that we always get one, because the Swiss motorways are so convenient, but that's just personal choice.
Perfectly correct <=3,500t vignette only required for the motorway. At this weight you are also free to travel at a reasonable speed. Over this weight the speed limit is 80kph :-( Also you need to pay regardless of motorway use.
I looked at his most likely route, and it is a motorway running straight to Lake Geneva, I assumed that would be his route, but I could be wrong of course.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We prepaid for Switzerland. vignette for 1 year and for Austria for a 2 month period. Ordered about 1 month before we travelled. Very efficient service, arrived in post within a week

https://tolltickets.com/default.aspx?lang=en-GB

For Austria you have 3 choices:

10 days for 8.80 euros
2 months for 25.70 euros
1 year for 85.70 euros

You specify the date on which you want it to start

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We're not long back from Switzerland and loved it, we stayed at a lovely little Aire on the banks of LG just in France. When we visited Geneva we stayed at a campsite just over the border in France with cycle and bus route from campsite, the cycle route is about 10 miles and the fist couple in France on quiet roads then cycle path once over the border.
You will fall in love with Grindlewald if you haven't been before, I would also recommend Interlaken

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It is and you are fine, purchase a Vignette at the Border. Go in the car lane marked Vignette. The guard will sell you one 40CHF, stick it on the left of the windscreen - job done.

Hi, and if you are over 3.5t...?

Would appreciate some knowledge as may pop along that way on our travels next year....

Many thanks...(y)

Dec 22, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
since 2011
We were there last year, ten days pass for a van over 3.5te

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I'm there for a few days in a few weeks time, and my van is over 3.5t. You need a "LSVA", also known as a "Lump Sum Heavy Vehicle Charge". If you're not staying for long and won't be back within a year, it can be cheaper than the "standard" vignette, it'll only cost me 25 CHF.

You need one no matter what roads you go on. I'm taking the filled out form (handily available in German, French & Italian but not English) with me, though I'm sure you could get one at a manned border crossing.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No

Would appreciate some knowledge as may pop along that way on our travels next year....

Many thanks...(y)
You need to register at the border, you will need to tell the guard that you are 'heavy', and they will give you directions. You still follow the car lane for vignette purchase though. There are a few different tariffs, and the people at the counter are usually very helpful, ask them for help if you need it.
This is us last year registering our van:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No

Many thanks...(y)
Wow, I happened to find one of our forms from 2014, here is what the completed form looks like (personal info has been redacted :D ):
090213.JPG

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You need to register at the border, you will need to tell the guard that you are 'heavy', and they will give you directions. You still follow the car lane for vignette purchase though. There are a few different tariffs, and the people at the counter are usually very helpful, ask them for help if you need it.
This is us last year registering our van:

Wow, I happened to find one of our forms from 2014, here is what the completed form looks like (personal info has been redacted :D ):
View attachment 116153

Thanks very much lads..... Can you remember how much it was in €, l'm 3850kg uprated to 4000kg....(y)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We did Switzerland last year.. Expensive but wow what a gorgeous country.. Its worth going through the passes if you can.. Grimsel.. Furka etc.. Be prepared to be wowed by a feat of road building engineering.. The sights around every corner were stunning.. Its on my to do again list for sure

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
How likely will they check, as you look like any 3.5t I assume
Don't go down that route! I have never actually been checked BUT, strangely it is cheaper to be over 3.5t for a tourist. We are only going to want the use of the roads for a short time. My pass was 25CHF, a normal vignette is 40CHF. I am led to believe that the fine for non compliance is eye watering. All it would take is a roadside tug, and you are screwed, and holiday ruined!

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
been through swiss a few times, didn't impress me. we once stayed at fishers fritz or something like that on lake zurich,, what a shit ole, must have been the worst site we've ever been on.full of immigrants & the town resembled something from communist russia..everything concrete...prepare to be ripped off where ever you go in swiss. we tend to drive through as fast as we can, but it is cheaper to buy the 10 day pass if your over 3.5tonne, and very easy to do at the border,just go in the truck lane. we usually risk it without anything.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
travelled through last autumn north to south at 4t, avoided motorways, no charges no problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back