Visiting Switzerland in a Motor home/camper (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
travelled through last autumn north to south at 4t, avoided motorways, no charges no problems.
You were very lucky. The Heavy Vehicle Charge applies to all roads not just motorways, so had you been stopped, a big fine would have been heading your way. But as they say, you didn't get caught so no harm, no foul! :D

Tony Roberts

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Christchurch New Zealand
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
We are halfway through our 10 month trip having visited 12 countries. For scenery Switzerland has been the highlight so far (Norway still to come). Our favourite spot was Kandersteg. Majestic.

As for price, perversely it has been one of the cheapest countries we have visited because we purchased next to nothing. Diesel and campsites are not horrendously expensive and the excursions we did, cable car at Kandersteg and Trummelbach Falls, were also priced so not to give us heart failure.
Regards
tony

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
We are halfway through our 10 month trip having visited 12 countries. For scenery Switzerland has been the highlight so far (Norway still to come). Our favourite spot was Kandersteg. Majestic.

Wow, some trip !! what sites have you used nr Kandersteg and trumm?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Unless its changed the HGV tax is just for being in the country, irrespective of whether you use any of the road network. So even sitting in a campsite you should be marking the days off.
I doubt many do, we didn't in 05. :)

Tony Roberts

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Christchurch New Zealand
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
At Kandersteg we used Camping Rendevous - gives discount to the Gondala and at Trumm w used a campsite about 400 metres past the falls on the right hand side going up the valley. Is in the ACSI book. Fantastic site run by two sisters. Quite cheap.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Quick update, we crossed the Swiss border this morning. Looks like they are getting a bit hotter on the heavy vehicle levy. The guards pulled us out of line and asked us our total weight, and then directed us where to pay our taxes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
All these tolls are difficult to work out and the Austrian one Go Box or whatever has to be verified ASAP or you get fined a hideous amount but do not tell you that you need to do it so fined by default. Swiss motorway tax is needed as the off route bits are sometimes a bit painful to avoid the motorway. Tunnel tolls are dear too. Me and Wifey went through one on a motorbike, and got charged the same as a tourist coach with 40+ passengers in it??? I will not go to Austria or Switzerland unless there is a very pressing reason, too many trip ups if you do not know them, I do not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back