Urgent Advice Required -Fridge not working in Morocco

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by makems, Feb 17, 2015.

1. makems

makems Funster Life Member

yes it's yet another fridge problem for Makems!
    It's a Dometic RMDT 8505.
    At 1:00am it was beeping (may have been beeping a while but that was when it woke me!
    There are two lights on our model, a blue one which is normally lit all the time, and a red one that flashes when there is a problem. There is also a sort of warning triangle light that usually flashes and when pressed resets the fridge (I just found this out recently, see previous thread)
    here we have a problem but only the BLUE light is flashing. No red light, no warning triangle, and the fridge and freezer are definitely getting warm.
    We are on gas at the moment as we are wilding so no 240V. We have been on gas for a few days and everything seemed OK.
    Gas ran out yesterday morning and I swapped the bottle and again everything SEEMED to be OK. (The beer seemed cool at beer o'clock)
    I have tried resetting the fridge several times.
    I can hear the gas burner going at the back of the fridge but it just ain't getting cold.
    We are almost perfectly level.
    I have read the manual (which is for the same model but pictures show a different control panel!) and it doesn't describe this particular set of symptoms.
    As I type this the fridge goes into its beeping mode for 30 Seconds every few minutes and the only thing that shuts it up is to turn it off - which I did from about 2:00am to 7:00am so it had plenty of time to cool down or reset itself if it was something very simple.
    Anybody got any great ideas?

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi.. sorry to hear about the problem... can you detect heat at the flue ?

If so, it would suggest that the fridge has lost it's refrigerant.. I'm afraid that's bad news, there is no fix I know of.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    If the fridge has lost its refrigerant you would normally be able to smell ammonia, if you remove the vent cover and have a look you may also see a yellow staining.

We had a similar problem a couple of years ago with a fairly new(4yrs) absorption fridge/freezer, switched off overnight and it sorted itself out.

We also have an older caravan and the fridge lost it's refrigerant last October, slight smell to begin with then strong and yellow staining. Terminal I'm afraid, no way to recharge as on compressor fridges, £13/1400 to replace, we found an alternative.

• Like Like x 1
  4. makems

I can't smell ammonia, and while I haven't removed the grille yet to detect heat I can definitely hear the gas flame burning and the extractor fan to remove excess heat is running, so I'm fairly sure the gas is burning.
    The beeping sound is every two minutes approximately. It sounds like the alarm to warn that the door is not shut properly. This has gone off a few times in the past and just needed the door shutting firmly to shut the alarm off.
    If it is the door alarm that might explain why none of the other warning lights are showing ie the fridge doesn't think there is a "fault" it just thinks the door isn't shut properly.
    I wonder if it's a fault with the door sensor?
    Anybody know how I couldget in contact with somebody at Dometic to talk to?
    ideally by email so I don't have to spend a fortune on roaming charges!

5. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

On our RMD 8555 model, the blue light flashing indicates the door has been left open. We did have a similar problem to you in that the blue light was flashing when the door was actually closed. This was caused be a temporary fault, probably caused by condensation in the door lock sensing switch. It was cured more by chance by using a hair dryer to blow warm air into door locking mechanism.

I know this does not account for beeping, but it may help in eliminating problems

• Like Like x 2
  6. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Heres a random thought, but that's all I really good at

How about leave it in or set to auto, start engine, that should swap from gas to 12V, then when you turn the engine back off it will restart the gas, I don't think it will need to run the engine for long, as soon as the 12V option has started you could turn it off again

Not really sure why that might work, but when we run out of gas I have to turn ours off and back and on again before it seems happy

on the basis that you have tried that, this might at least give the processor something to think about

things really are too complicated for their own good these days

good luck

• Like Like x 5
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

couldn't agree more.
    that may well be the problem.. if it thinks the door is open it may stop cooling to prevent ice forming..
    but that's just a guess, I'm out of my depth with these modern Dometic fridges.. they try to make them idiot proof but in the process make them too complex.. :(

or in the modern parlance.. I'm outside my comfort zone :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Have you tried "going back to basics" ?
    Switch everything off (inc gas)
    Wait a few minutes
    Turn electrics back on
    Turn gas back on
    - see what happens :)

11. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

gas hob working correctly?

12. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

Sounds like the door alarm switch, just tested ours it took about 90 seconds before the blue light started flashing and the bleeper sounded. It stopped as soon as I shut the door.
    As above I suspect that if the control board thinks the door is open it will not allow the fridge to keep 'cooling'.
    If you can't fix the switch, you may need a temp repair to remove it from the circuit, till you can get a replacement.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  13. makems

Thanks to help from Colin (Armytwowheels) and Simon (Dabhand), we have swept the flue and burner assembly. Gas seems to be burning fine and Theonlysue has lent me a remote display electronic thermometer with separate probes for the freezer and the fridge.
    Since sweeping the flue, the temperature in both fridge and freezer appears to be dropping so it APPEARS at this point that the fridge is working.
    HOWEVER the bloody beeper is still going off every two minutes!
    Colin has had a quick look at the door catch and when he jiggles the micro switch the light inside the fridge DIMS but does not go out (and the beeping doesn't stop)
    We will give it another hour or so to confirm the temperature is dropping before having another more detailed look at the door switch.
    Thanks for all the ideas and help, keep it coming!

14. makems

Yes gas hob fine, I'm fairly sure the regulator is OK (it's not a Truma). As above, burner on fridge seems to be OK.

• Like Like x 1
  15. makems

I am hoping that as above, the fridge is in fact now cooling,
    we then need to find out how to stop the door alarm from beeping every two minutes
    Hopefully the beeper is on its own circuit and not part of the main circuit board!

16. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Answered you about the beeping & how to sort the door switch on the other thread.

At the moment I am playing with my fridge to see if the door switch has any effect on the burner operation, so far inconclusive.
    After leaving the door open for about ½ hour the the burner cut out and restarted when I operated the door switch, it is still running about an hour later with the door open.

I'll keep you posted, first time it cut out with the door open could have been just because the fridge was down to temp as the inside of the van was only a few degrees, suns out now & I'll put the heating on in the van & see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  18. makems

19. makems

It looks like the crisis is resolved thanks to Colin @Armytwowheels
    He removed the door catch which had some water in it which has probably been causing some sort of short and making the door beeper continually sound.
    The catch has been removed and put in the sun to dry out.
    the door still stays shut in the same way that a domestic fridge would. Just need the catch to keep it closed when travelling and for the fridge light.
    Worst case we leave it off and use duct tape to keep the door shut when travelling.
    It would appear we have had two separate problems and both at least partly resolved.
    There is ice in the freezer now so it's definitely working. We will be able to get our food back from the other Funsters freezers now (if they haven't alrady consumed it!)
    Thanks to all who have responded with suggestions and help. And big thanks to Colin.

• Like Like x 7
  20. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I can confirm now having run my fridge for a few hours that the door switch does not have any effect on the operation of the fridge.

You say it's now working after cleaning the flue & burner. Did you fill up with Spanish LPG? I have seen several reports of people having problems with fridges sooting up after filling with Spanish gas.

• Like Like x 1