Under slung gas tank - what cost please?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Derbyshire wanderer, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

I am looking at having an under slung gas tank fitted to my Bolero 724FB. Can I ask who to use and how much it may cost?
    Not really interested in locker bottles as the locker only holds 2X6kg and with the Alde heating can empty one every 2 days (Mrs M seems to have reptile blood).
    I have looked on the Autogas 2000 website and they seem to be the only option although they seem to do a good job. Are there any others as well?
    I am not interested in the cost v refill debate as the reality of running out or starting every journey with 2 full bottles is a pain in the ar** that I do not wish to do especially at £23.75 for 6kg.
    Ideally I want at least a 22kg tank with a gauge so I can run flat out for 7 days without ehu.
    The locker would be better used for carrying more batteries for the inverter.
    I realise not all installs are the same but it would be nice to know what cost to expect and how you rate the installer. Although I could fit the kit, I want the installer certificate so the insurer has no reason to hike my premium.
    Ta.

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  3. aldhp21

aldhp21 Funster

I can thoroughly recommend autogas 2000. I had a tank fitted to a previous van, I think it was a 60 litre tank. It cost about £600 to £650 (mind you that was 4 year ago).

Installation was very painless, overnighted at a pub just down the road in Thirsk, dropped the van off in the morning were they went through some options with me. Then Chris's wife dropped us at the railway station and we went off for the day in York. We were then picked up from the station for the handover in the late afternoon.

Cheers
    Alan

• Like Like x 1
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Can't comment on the price as ours came with it factory fitted but it is a 12kg autogas system and it is fine, there is a repeater gauge of neon lights on the dashboard which shows how much gas is left and it is pretty accurate. It lasted us about 6 to 8 weeks in Spain this year, April to June but we almost emptied it in France this September in four weeks as we used a lot of aires and the gas 'fridge was running a lot of the time. Our heating is diesel so the gas is only for cooking and the 'fridge.

So yes, go for the biggest tank you can fit because I suspect there is little in the total price given the cost of all the fittings will be the same whatever size of tank you have.

We did have a problem in Spain when it wouldn't let us refill it. This seems to have been down to a stuck valve but it eventually cleared itself and it has been well behaved since.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

Another recommendation for autogas2000 send them your MH details to info@autogasleisure.co.uk and they will send you costs. Don't forget to ask for a funster discount.

They do a proper job, look at the gallery on their web pages. The pub down the road, Dog and Gun, was closed a good while ago but you can stay overnight in their yard, it over looks a couple of pony padlocks. They will take you into Thirsk while the tank is fitted, busses to other places or the James Heriot exhibition if you interested.

• Like Like x 2
  6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Is that heavy Andy @Techno100 your face matches the tank:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  7. Techno

Sunburn :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  8. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

As most Boleros are built on the low line AlKo chassis it will be difficult to fit a tank under there, if it is possible it is likely to be the smallest capacity unit that will fit which is about the same capacity as 2 x 6kg cylinders so no real benefit. Speak to Chris at Autogas 2000 he will tell you what could fit.

D.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Imbiber

Imbiber Funster Life Member

Chris (and Kev!) at Autogas 2000 have just fitted me 2 x 10.5Kg Prakto bottles in our gas locker. I went to see them with a view to fitting an underslung tank but was advised otherwise as the van sits too low.

Fantastic service and would definitely recommend them choose whichever option you go for.

They also have an overnight stop-over facility and can do fitting's Saturday mornings if booked in advanced.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Techno

You not only joined but got life :Eeek:(y)

11. Imbiber

Yep.....been here a long time really :sneaky:

12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

DW - check if you can squeaze in larger bottles - our previous PVC was only supposed to take 2 x 6kg bottles but I managed to get in the existing 13kg one we already had. An alternative might be to consider a beany-box (basically a drawer on the outside of your MH) which you could put batteries etc in and leave the gas locker as it is.

I suspect, as has already been mentioend, that you will have difficulty finding somewhere to put an underslung refillable tank and if you can it will be small and the cost will be twice the price of a refillable cylinder set up for the same gas capacity.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

If you look at the gallery on Autogas2000 web site the third image on the second row shows how they fitted a 55l tank into my AlKo chassis. The picture is not of my MH but is a MH on an AlKo chassis.

Mine was fitted over two year ago. I note that 55l tanks are no longer listed on their web site so it would be best to ask them what they fit now a days.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

image.png image.png We used Gasit.
    http://www.gasit.co.uk/
    But we got the brackets from autogas, then had them stripped and galvanised at a place in Castelford.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Derbyshire wanderer

Thanks Andy, just read your thread and was getting in the frame for a DIY till I read Dave Newell's post.

I will give them a call tomorrow to see what they recommend

As above, I'll call to see what may work but yes it is the low line Alko so could be back to the drawing board. The doors are so small on all lockers that everything is a 'just a' fit so bigger bottles will not be easy.

I will see if these would fit when I call them. What was fitted originally size wise?

That was what appealed to me asking the question as it looks perfect. I have even looked under the van and there does seem enough room but will have to measure when we get back tomorrow. Hopefully it is going to be possible as the 55l is perfect if available and the same chassis dimensions.

Thanks everyone for some good advise.

• Like Like x 1
  16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

17. Derbyshire wanderer

Thanks, I have a 13kg at home that I can try but there's no way that it will fit with a 6kg as well. Defo not want only one bottle unless it is 22kg minimum.
    I will have to check the chassis depth and see what Autogas think.

18. Techno

My HEAVY Alko is only 265mm but on 16" wheels too
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Imbiber

My gas locker would hold 2 x 11kg FloGas (regrettably no longer obtainable locally to us) or 1 x 13KG alongside 1 x 6KG Calor.

20. Derbyshire wanderer

I have no chance then. The 2 x 6kg presently fitted are almost tailored to fit!