Under slung gas tank - what cost please? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So if you have a fixed tank the maximum litres it could carry of gas is 93L which is a tank size of 116.25L water capacity, but if you have a bigger tank it should not make a difference so long as the amount of gas it contains is no more than 93L.

as!

What I am saying is that there is a difference between the amounts of gas that you can legally carry depending on whether they are
one loose bottle = 93L of gas
Multiple loose bottles= 99L
one fixed container = only 73L of gas (80%)
Several fixed containers =79L of gas (80%)
You can carry more gas in loose bottles even though they are still at 80% of capacity as required by the regulations. You cannot carry 93 L of gas in a fixed container /tank.

Then again I've re-read it again & again & it is badly written.
This part states that you can carry 93l but then goes on to state & show on the chart that it can only be 80% full & indicates that only 73L would be accepted.

"Fixed gas containers (tanks, etc.)
For the purposes of this text, this means fixed containers that are permanently installed or fixed in a vehicle and are refillable from outside the vehicle.

The quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 litres) maximum for a single container and to 50kg (or approximately 99 litres) maximum in the case of several containers. Each container must be no more than 80% full."

The chart then goes on to show that ONLY 73L would be acceptable -
I'm wondering if it means that a fixed tank with a capacity of 47kg/93L is the Maximum size they will accept & with a fill @80% 0r 73L ? Why else would they put it otherwise?:unsure:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What I am saying is that there is a difference between the amounts of gas that you can legally carry depending on whether they are
one loose bottle = 93L of gas
Multiple loose bottles= 99L
one fixed container = only 73L of gas (80%)
Several fixed containers =79L of gas (80%)
You can carry more gas in loose bottles even though they are still at 80% of capacity as required by the regulations. You cannot carry 93 L of gas in a fixed container /tank.

Then again I've re-read it again & again & it is badly written.
This part states that you can carry 93l but then goes on to state & show on the chart that it can only be 80% full & indicates that only 73L would be accepted.

"Fixed gas containers (tanks, etc.)
For the purposes of this text, this means fixed containers that are permanently installed or fixed in a vehicle and are refillable from outside the vehicle.

The quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 litres) maximum for a single container and to 50kg (or approximately 99 litres) maximum in the case of several containers. Each container must be no more than 80% full."

I'm wondering if it means that a fixed tank with a capacity of 47kg/93L is the Maximum size they will accept & with a fill @80% 0r 73L ? Why else would they put it otherwise?:unsure:
It's anyones guess what they think really ... why not email and ask!

OP
OP
Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The onus as a paying customer is on you to ask Chris why you need a drive safe? perhaps he isn't using stako tanks.
It would take a dive over a cliff or a cataclysmic accident to affect my gas safety. I doubt I would be too concerned after that :LOL: about reseting my gas safe :ROFLMAO:
Thanks Andy, I will enquire with Chris about this. I have the drive safe fitted now with the exchange bottles but that was standard fit by swift for the Alde heating being used on the road.
As always with these modifications, there are new questions that arise that were not thought of originally.
I will let you know what he says.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp

What is the point of all the rules when there is no reliable way of checking how much is carried anyway.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Another shout for Autogas 2000. I had a 55litre tank fitted to my Chausson in August. Dropped the van off at 08.00 They ran us to the train station we had a day in York. Returned to train station around 16.00 rang Autogas, they picked us up again. 55litre tank all piped up tested and a full tank of gas, all in £795.00 including all paper work, certificate etc. Also got a set of all the Eu connectors. Gas from filling stations working out around a fifth of the price of Calor refills. Just returned from 6 weeks round France and topped up the tank twice. used around 27 euros worth in the six weeks and we did use the heating quite a bit when up North.

OP
OP
Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The onus as a paying customer is on you to ask Chris why you need a drive safe? perhaps he isn't using stako tanks.
It would take a dive over a cliff or a cataclysmic accident to affect my gas safety. I doubt I would be too concerned after that :LOL: about reseting my gas safe :ROFLMAO:

I have just returned from having the new tank fitted at Autogas and did ask about the drive safe unit.
Apparently there is Staco tanks and GZWM that are the major suppliers of 4 hole tanks. Both are fitted with the main tap that has a burst control valve fitted (the same standard unit in both tank brands) and as you say this operates should a major leak occur or even if the tap is completely broken off. The drive safe unit is designed to operate in a crash by g force. Their opinion is that driving without one and the gas switched on is both against the regulations and potentially dangerous as any accident causing a leak not excessive enough to operate the burst valve will result in a gas leak that could cause a fire or explosion.
They have fitted the drive safe to the floor near to the tank and connected with a stainless steel pigtail.
I am very impressed with the finished result and handover by John (Colonel) who has managed to keep the 200mm ground clearance even with the support cradle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back