UK AIRES PETITION

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by snuggly wuggly, Jan 7, 2016.

1. snuggly wuggly

snuggly wuggly Funster

Hi All
    We've just signed this petition to provide Aires in our towns.
    Put in petiton.parliament.uk/petitions/105748 this will take you directly to the page.
    Thanks (y)

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It's not an official government petition but a petition on the government web site set up to enable petition submission. 10,000 signatures gets a government response and 100,000 signatures gets a consideration for a debate in parliament. All of the petitions with a similar subject to this one have fallen far short of those targets as a result of both inaccuracy and lack of interest.

Following the thread the other day I've put together This Page to explain the futility of such petitions.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Oh ! Not again ,thought we had put this to bed .

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Oh for pitys sake!!!

Is that an attempt at being funny?

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It (and future similar petitions) will continue to be raised as people discover it and don't search for previous postings. It's a fact of life and something we will have to accept :) That's why I put my page together (which I hope isn't rude or discourteous to any individual :)), so that I can simply post a link to it in future :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

I have been down the petition route myself and when it was looked at, I received the reply that "This is a matter for each local authority, not national government". HM Government states it now operates a hands off system of government and will tell any petitioner to contact their local authority.

A group of us got together to try to get better parking provision for motorhomes, with if possible overnight use and service provision. I personally like Graham (GJH) have contacted 400+ local authorities as well as all Motorway Service Providers, National Park Authorities and relevant Government departments on these matters.

I had to come to the conclusion that although there are many keyboard warriors about, few if any are willing to put in the hard work, when asked to do so, to bring things to fruition or even to met local councillors to discuss matters. In the end I found I was left on my own as the promised support from close on 2000 backers just wasn't there when push came to shove.

Car Parks cannot just be used in many cases as Planning Permission is required. Some have covenant restrictions on them. That is before you get to the NIMBYs.

Borne Terminals are not cheap to provide, but ground work and connection to services cost many times more than the terminal. This I have as a fact from the Northern Ireland Authorities that installed Aires in the province and have kindly provided figures under FOI.

NI authorities sought funding from the NI Tourist Board to provide the 6 Aires now available in the province. This was as a result of 10 years constant pressure by a group (The now defunct "Motorhome Association") over there. These things just don't happen out of the blue. We have no group working on this now and a lack of willingness of groups to combine to do so, means we probably won't get one. It is up to us, not the authorities, if we really want such provision.

The Dept. for Transport had in its guidance to MSA operators that they could (not should) provide facilities including water, waste disposal and EHU for Caravan and Motor Caravan use. The last government allowed this to be removed from the guidance and instead permitted parking space to be used for other commercial (money making) activities which had previously been banned. As a result, in the UK we have only 2 MSA with dump facilities on our road network and authorities that have such provision in coach parks restrict there use to coaches only. Other authorities have removed existing provision even for coaches.

I have had a look at the petition and at least this one has got up to close on 4000 backers, most have struggled to reach 1000. Considering there are about 250,000 motorhomes registered in the UK we are on a hiding to nothing to reach 100,000 signatures to trigger a debate in parliament. Not all motorhome users want or support "off site facilities".

• Like Like x 4
  8. Bridget

Bridget Funster

Maybe the reason for this popping up again is because MMM has been promoting it in last months and this months magazine. :rolleyes: (not sure if I've used the right smilie-apologies if it's wrong!)

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Another reason not to buy MMM then :D I do wish they would at least pretend to be checking accuracy when they "campaign". I had a look at their motorhome parking publication last month and several of their entries are out of date (including some places which no longer exist).

10. Crusty jack

Crusty jack Funster

I think it's funny, don't you GJH and NickNik !!!!!!! Regards, Toby.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NickNic

Oh look. Still trolling.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PeteH

PeteH Funster

There was some "Chatter" several years back of introducing "Waste" water disposal, Power and Fresh Water facilities at a "Location near the Humber Bridge". That never materialised either. The nearest thing we in the UK have to it is the CCC will allow use of their facilities at certain sites for a fee (6? I think). But then you have to go off and Park somewhere else. In the UK there is not enough backing for such a scheme, It is not favoured by site owners (for obvious fiscal reasons). L-A`s (bless them!!) are far too interested in "promoting" self interest! and "party" dependent issues, to be bothered with such a SMALL cadre of Users.

Publicans, who might be interested, outside of those already signed up the "Britstops", are largely constrained by their Owners, (Pub co`s) Who cite potential issues of H&Safety! liability.

Methinks we are "urinating into the wind" but I have signed it anyway!.

Pete

13. NickNic

Where the demand for facilities has been identified and demonstrated they have been provided - Canterbury, Chester, Hawick & Portrush are examples. There are probably others.

These facilities have not been provided because of people starting silly petitions or because anyone has been "compelled" to do so. All such nonsense will achieve is to harden the position of LAs against making provisions and make them far less likely to listen if someone does approach them in a useful manner with information that might show the need.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

There's more chance 1-45 million of winning the Lottery than this happening.

Lets say that everyone in the UK signed, bet they would ALL become NIMBY's if an aire was suggested near their property.

• Like Like x 2
  15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I hadn't heard of the Humber Bridge proposal. Do you know where it came from and who was promoting it? It might be something which could be resurrected.

The C&CC scheme is a service for members who are camping off site but need to empty/fill from time to time so is not, in itself, a camping provision like an aire would be. Camping somewhere else is the choice of the member and came first.

The majority of LAs (I know because I've been in contact with all of them) don't receive many motorhome parking requests let alone approaches to set up aires. That is why there is little or no incentive for them to "be bothered".

The primary concern for pub companies (just like supermarkets &c) isn't health & safety. They are in the business of running pubs, not caravan sites, and having to comply with the 1960 Act (which would probably mean obtaining site licences for individual premises in most cases) is an overhead they do not need.

• Like Like x 1
  16. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

It's a lost cause in the UK. Far less hassle to just vote with your £50 cross channel ferry ticket and travel abroad. Let their economies benefit instead.

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

£50 would buy us at least 5 nights on a C&CC/MCC rally :)

18. PeteH

PeteH Funster

I suspect it was on the Now defunct ARVE Forum?. It`s that far back. OR possibly MMM?. There was a bit of "Chatter" over the potential ACTUAL location. but it was Thought to be part of the "Park and Ride" @ Hessle? just by the Bridge.

Pete

19. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Maybe so, but ferry is only the means of escape GJH, not the desired destination. Each to their own. :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Most agree the issue is not one for central government but local.
    However......
    A point raised by John & Joan might well be both a root problem and could well be aimed at a central body

Car Parks cannot be used without planning permission

Planning permission is obviously a local body but ( big but :) ) if the underlying laws relating to car parks were looked at and the removal of the charter concerning their use was removed at a national level, would that not at least ease the situation ?

I am quite probably just talking squit but I would like to know if that is an avenue worth pursuing ?

• Like Like x 1