Tyre pressure alarms

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by normanandsue, Feb 13, 2013.

1. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Jim,

Is this the link for your LED Tyre pressure alarms, or is it another company advertising on the site.
    http://www.tyrepressurealarm.com/
    If these is not your alarms would you tell me how to find your link. I want to buy a set.

Norman

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

3. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

In an idle moment here at Marjal :BigGrin: I came across a thread on Warners 'Out and About live' forum where a guy was asking about tyre pressure monitors.
    They now know about yours :thumb:

Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Well after reading the post this afternoon I decided I would order them for my MH and my little Yaris.

Sent an email to James requesting postage charges to Spain and within one hour reply received with details. If only other businesses were of this standard life would be so much easier.

Thank you James looking forward to fitting them.

John

5. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

Normally the tyre pressure is maintained by the tyre valve and the tyre cap.

It seems to me that with this type of monitor the tyre valve must be depressed so the pressure is maintained just by the cap on the tyre? Right or wrong?

6. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Yes I believe you have a point but I suspect the device is a little more robust than a plastic valve cap.

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Oldun, essentially that is correct yes. Your tyre pressure is normally maintained entirely by the valve core, it does not rely on the cap at all, other than to keep crud out. Even though the screw thread on the valve core is cut away (to assist with removal) leaving only a few threads hanging on to a tiny part of the valve's circumference, it stays firmly in place. This is essentially because it is wound in tight with the valve tool which ensures the brass on brass threads are very tight and it holds fast.

When you screw a monitoring cap on, such as the one I sell (or the tyrepal) they operate the valve core so, like the valve core, it's imperative that it stays in place. Which is why its screwed on with a key which allows you to screw it in place very tightly. Also, like the core it has a reinforced brass thread ensuring a very strong seal indeed.

Where the core relies on just two or three threads covering only a few mm of the valves inner circumference, the cap sits as deep as possible over the valve and relies on 7 full circle brass threads. Once in place the system is more secure than with the valve alone.

There are some plastic monitors, with nylon threads and many have failed. These depress the valve core but when they get hot the thread can fail, this can result in a sudden loss of air. This does not happen with our system.

This TPM system is very robust and designed to live for ten years in a commercial environment. We already have individual caps that have almost half million miles on them. :thumb:

Attached Files:

8. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Have to say that I was't too sure at first but once tried them went back for another set for each of the cars. No more fiddling with valve caps just to find out that they do or do not need attention. :thumb:
    Wyn

9. buttons

buttons Funster

Out of curiosity, do you have any information from the valve manufactures, what do they say about their valves being used in this way. It would appear that these gadgets go against their design specification of the valve. Do they condone or condemn the use of the pressure gauge.

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ive not seen any correspondence between the French manufacturer and valve core makers. I know they work extensively with Michelen who have conducted their own tests. Unfortunately most valve cores are no name makes made in sweatshops in India and china.

• Like Like x 1
  11. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

Many thanks for the reassurance and very helpful information. I will now consider buying them for my van.

What are best ones to buy? I am thinking of effective sealing, ease of setup and accuracy rather than price.

12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Oldun, theses are the ones we sell Tyre Pressure Monitors :thumb:

13. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

These things in various forms have been around for years some are good some are absolute rubbish........Jim does not pay me a commision but as a qualified motor engineer I will say Jims are the best I have seen and I would use them.......I have seen others as good but not at the price of Jims........beware of cheap ones that's exactly what they are :thumb:

All the best Rick

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

I got some from jim and there now on the van so for yosser to part with is cash they must be good :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  15. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

Each axle of motorhome usually has a different tyre pressure to the other and each axle tye pressre should change a few psi between unloaded and loaded MH.

How easy is it to set the pressure at which the sensor triggers - or are they preset?

16. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I think you need to be happy with the pressure before you put the caps on.

They will just tell you if the pressure drops more than 4 psi or whatever it is.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You just pump your tyres to the correct pressure. Then screw the caps on. They automatically calibrate to that correct pressure. They then monitor the pressure and let you know by flashing a bright red light if you drop 4psi. (Just a 4psi drop will cost you extra in fuel, increase tyre wear and reduce the tyre handling and holding capability)

Thereafter checking your pressures is as easy as a stroll around the motorhome. :thumb:

18. aba

aba

dont forget the extra one for your spare (if you have one) as there is nothing worse than having a puncture and then having a flat spare.

19. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Yes there is something worse.

Having a puncture with no spare.

Like I had last summer:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

This thread was a good reminder for me to order a set, order just sent through.

Will be happy to get these on for this seasons travels.