Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Jim,

Is this the link for your LED Tyre pressure alarms, or is it another company advertising on the site.
Link Removed
If these is not your alarms would you tell me how to find your link. I want to buy a set.

Norman

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Yes that's them:thumb: Link Removed

In an idle moment here at Marjal ::bigsmile: I came across a thread on Warners 'Out and About live' forum where a guy was asking about tyre pressure monitors.
They now know about yours :thumb:

Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well after reading the post this afternoon I decided I would order them for my MH and my little Yaris.

Sent an email to James requesting postage charges to Spain and within one hour reply received with details. If only other businesses were of this standard life would be so much easier.

Thank you James looking forward to fitting them.

John

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Jim,

Is this the link for your LED Tyre pressure alarms, or is it another company advertising on the site.
Link Removed
If these is not your alarms would you tell me how to find your link. I want to buy a set.

Norman

Normally the tyre pressure is maintained by the tyre valve and the tyre cap.

It seems to me that with this type of monitor the tyre valve must be depressed so the pressure is maintained just by the cap on the tyre? Right or wrong?

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years

It seems to me that with this type of monitor the tyre valve must be depressed so the pressure is maintained just by the cap on the tyre? Right or wrong?

Yes I believe you have a point but I suspect the device is a little more robust than a plastic valve cap.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Hi Oldun, essentially that is correct yes. Your tyre pressure is normally maintained entirely by the valve core, it does not rely on the cap at all, other than to keep crud out. Even though the screw thread on the valve core is cut away (to assist with removal) leaving only a few threads hanging on to a tiny part of the valve's circumference, it stays firmly in place. This is essentially because it is wound in tight with the valve tool which ensures the brass on brass threads are very tight and it holds fast.

When you screw a monitoring cap on, such as the one I sell (or the tyrepal) they operate the valve core so, like the valve core, it's imperative that it stays in place. Which is why its screwed on with a key which allows you to screw it in place very tightly. Also, like the core it has a reinforced brass thread ensuring a very strong seal indeed.

Where the core relies on just two or three threads covering only a few mm of the valves inner circumference, the cap sits as deep as possible over the valve and relies on 7 full circle brass threads. Once in place the system is more secure than with the valve alone.

There are some plastic monitors, with nylon threads and many have failed. These depress the valve core but when they get hot the thread can fail, this can result in a sudden loss of air. This does not happen with our system.

This TPM system is very robust and designed to live for ten years in a commercial environment. We already have individual caps that have almost half million miles on them. :thumb:

Attachments

• valvecore3.png
    valvecore3.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 33

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Have to say that I was't too sure at first but once tried them went back for another set for each of the cars. No more fiddling with valve caps just to find out that they do or do not need attention. :thumb:
Wyn

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Oldun, essentially that is correct yes. Your tyre pressure is normally maintained entirely by the valve core, it does not rely on the cap at all, other than to keep crud out. Even though the screw thread on the valve core is cut away (to assist with removal) leaving only a few threads hanging on to a tiny part of the valve's circumference, it stays firmly in place. This is essentially because it is wound in tight with the valve tool which ensures the brass on brass threads are very tight and it holds fast.

When you screw a monitoring cap on, such as the one I sell (or the tyrepal) they operate the valve core so, like the valve core, it's imperative that it stays in place. Which is why its screwed on with a key which allows you to screw it in place very tightly. Also, like the core it has a reinforced brass thread ensuring a very strong seal indeed.

Where the core relies on just two or three threads covering only a few mm of the valves inner circumference, the cap sits as deep as possible over the valve and relies on 7 full circle brass threads. Once in place the system is more secure than with the valve alone.

There are some plastic monitors, with nylon threads and many have failed. These depress the valve core but when they get hot the thread can fail, this can result in a sudden loss of air. This does not happen with our system.

This TPM system is very robust and designed to live for ten years in a commercial environment. We already have individual caps that have almost half million miles on them. :thumb:

Out of curiosity, do you have any information from the valve manufactures, what do they say about their valves being used in this way. It would appear that these gadgets go against their design specification of the valve. Do they condone or condemn the use of the pressure gauge.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Out of curiosity, do you have any information from the valve manufactures, what do they say about their valves being used in this way. It would appear that these gadgets go against their design specification of the valve. Do they condone or condemn the use of the pressure gauge.

Ive not seen any correspondence between the French manufacturer and valve core makers. I know they work extensively with Michelen who have conducted their own tests. Unfortunately most valve cores are no name makes made in sweatshops in India and china.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Many thanks for the reassurance and very helpful information. I will now consider buying them for my van.

What are best ones to buy? I am thinking of effective sealing, ease of setup and accuracy rather than price.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Many thanks for the reassurance and very helpful information. I will now consider buying them for my van.

What are best ones to buy? I am thinking of effective sealing, ease of setup and accuracy rather than price.

Hi Oldun, theses are the ones we sell Link Removed :thumb:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
These things in various forms have been around for years some are good some are absolute rubbish........Jim does not pay me a commision but as a qualified motor engineer I will say Jims are the best I have seen and I would use them.......I have seen others as good but not at the price of Jims........beware of cheap ones that's exactly what they are :thumb:

All the best Rick

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Each axle of motorhome usually has a different tyre pressure to the other and each axle tye pressre should change a few psi between unloaded and loaded MH.

How easy is it to set the pressure at which the sensor triggers - or are they preset?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Each axle of motorhome usually has a different tyre pressure to the other and each axle tye pressre should change a few psi between unloaded and loaded MH.

How easy is it to set the pressure at which the sensor triggers - or are they preset?

I think you need to be happy with the pressure before you put the caps on.

They will just tell you if the pressure drops more than 4 psi or whatever it is.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

You just pump your tyres to the correct pressure. Then screw the caps on. They automatically calibrate to that correct pressure. They then monitor the pressure and let you know by flashing a bright red light if you drop 4psi. (Just a 4psi drop will cost you extra in fuel, increase tyre wear and reduce the tyre handling and holding capability)

Thereafter checking your pressures is as easy as a stroll around the motorhome. :thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
dont forget the extra one for your spare (if you have one) as there is nothing worse than having a puncture and then having a flat spare.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
dont forget the extra one for your spare (if you have one) as there is nothing worse than having a puncture and then having a flat spare.

Yes there is something worse.

Having a puncture with no spare.

Like I had last summer:Doh:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
This thread was a good reminder for me to order a set, order just sent through.

Will be happy to get these on for this seasons travels.

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
Having just come across this thread for the second time, I remembered what it was I forgot to order the 1st time I saw it.:Eeek:

Order sent!:Smile:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I think you need to be happy with the pressure before you put the caps on.

They will just tell you if the pressure drops more than 4 psi or whatever it is.

Ah! I see....that makes it all much more simple.

I will buy some next week when i get back from the NEC camping show.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back