Truma settings

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by Dai Motorhome, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Dai Motorhome

Dai Motorhome Read Only Funster

This is the first occasion we've spent time in the m/h in the winter. As such were on a steep learning curve with the heating/ water. It seems as though I can't get hot water without the heating being on at the same time.equally I can't get either heating or hot water on electric alone. I've put a picture which shows the setting I tried to get hot water. The orange boiler heating light is on but after eight hours it was still on!! Pam I being more stupid than usual?:Smile:
    Cheers
    David

Attached Files:

2. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Truma

Your setting shows you are asking for 40 degree water only and no heating at the lowestoft input setting. This will take a long time, probably up to an hour for like warm water, longer for really hot. If you want hot water on just electricity use the "two lines" setting, not the single you have set. However the speed of heating water on electricity depends on the amp input, some sites are as lows 6amp.

Remember, the top dial is how you select the power input, high electric, low electric, gas or gas and electric combined. The lower dial is how you select what you want to achieve, hottest water, not so hot water, heating only, or hot water and heating combined.

You will always get best results using gas only as the power source, for heating or hot water or both,this gives fairly fast hot water, around 30 mins. If you have heating and hot water on together it will take much longer to get hot water as the heating is prioritised.

Why not get a download of the instructions from Truma, I expect a web search would yield results.

• Like Like x 2
  3. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

Hi David, I have a similar type of heating, Truma 603C type, but different controls to yours, all I can say is that the electric hot water heat up is set on 60d and cannot be changed unlike the shower/hot water where you can set either 40 or 60d, I think you can see this on your pic as the solid flame with the 60 inside it is probably the hot water on ehu only,,,,,
    Looks lie you have to select some sort of programme from the bottom switch to get it going and the top switch designates hot water or c/h and h/w?????? so thin you have to select correct settings first?????? Hope this helps a little, other than that maybe give John cross motorhomes a call 01580 881288 big dealers and repairers so they know what they are talking about and they are always very helpful on here and are also funster members as well, best of luck mate, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

4. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

• Like Like x 1
  5. lorger

lorger Funster

I have the same controls as you, you need to select hot water only then select how to heat either elec, gas or both. I have an idiot proof A4 instruction sheet that I keep in the MH as I always forget how it works so if you would like a copy let me know I can stick it n here.

6. fatbuddha

fatbuddha Read Only Funster

well explained

we had a similar setup in our Hymer and it took me a long time to get to understand how the 2 dials worked together - yet my missus got it from the start. our brains must be wired up differently......:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

:Laughing: snap. I thought it was only me . Doesn"t help any where the controls are sited in our van,ie about 15cm off the floor on the side panel of the fixed bed .( heater in under bed storage area.) Need to have head on the floor or be a contortionist to see the settings . What possesses the builders to site controls in such obviously daft places ? Especially since they provide about 2-3 metres of spare cables neatly coiled at the rear of the controls . One of these days will re route these cables and controls to a more sensible area .Providing of course this can be done , which I assume it can .

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dai Motorhome

Idiot proof sounds ideal . That would be really useful!
    Thanks for all the other suggestions, I'll let you know how I get on. :Smile:

9. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

"Remember, the top dial is how you select the power input, high electric, low electric, gas or gas and electric combined. The lower dial is how you select what you want to achieve, hottest water, not so hot water, heating only, or hot water and heating combined."

I'm sorry to disagree but you've got this explanation arse about face. The top dial selects summer or winter modes and the bottom dial is the energy selector.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  10. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Arse

I know what I wanted to say, it's just my fingers typed it the wrong way around.!! You are quite right of course, arse about face. :Laughing::Laughing::Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  11. maz

maz Funster

In my van the dials are the other way round. Presumably that means I have a face like an ar$e! :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 2
  12. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

truma

u r on low elec/low heat put both on hot[60] elec [2] blower on 5 = red hot:Rofl1:

13. lorger

lorger Funster

I will take pictures of them and send them to you, will be in touch tonight to tomorrow depends when the rain stops so I can walk the 10 foot to the van.

14. Dai Motorhome

Put the settings as suggested, three hours later still no hot water:Sad::Sad::Sad:

Attached Files:

15. fatbuddha

fatbuddha Read Only Funster

is it working OK on gas??

16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Have a look at the photos here:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/members/minx-albums-truma-dials.html

If you want a copy you can print and stick somewhere suitable let me have your email address and I'll send it to you as a pdf.

Our controllers were on the front of one of the rear inward facing seat bases and we could NOT see them properly at all plus they were very vulnerable to being damaged by anything being stored under there when it was in 'bed' mode (we had knocked the knobs off one of them already!) so I moved them to the side of the wardrobe - it wasn't difficult at all, just fiddly!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  17. maz

maz Funster

Could it be the electric element has gone? I had this happen just recently - luckily still inside the warranty period. Heater controls lit up as normal but only lukewarm water and heating. I was able to easily work out what it was because a couple of hours earlier the van's supply tripped out at the on-board circuit breaker. I reset the trip (and the heater control, which showed red as its supply had been cut off) and the heater appeared to be normal (ie no flashing red LED to indicate a fault). However after 2 hours it was still failing to reach its normal temperature. Worked fine on gas until i could get the element replaced. Have you had something similar with a circuit breaker tripping maybe? :Smile:

18. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Read Only Funster

I had the same problem took a couple of atemps to make it work great, I think its a man thing as we never read instructions

• Like Like x 1
  19. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

This is my printed instructions for the truma.. It may help..
    Elements are cheap and not too difficult to replace if you can get access.

Attached Files:

20. Dai Motorhome

Got the hot water with gas setting - so just electric that isn't ' heating the water.
    Maybe it is the element. Anyone know any more about purchasing and fitting an element?
    David