Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
This is the first occasion we've spent time in the m/h in the winter. As such were on a steep learning curve with the heating/ water. It seems as though I can't get hot water without the heating being on at the same time.equally I can't get either heating or hot water on electric alone. I've put a picture which shows the setting I tried to get hot water. The orange boiler heating light is on but after eight hours it was still on!! Pam I being more stupid than usual?:Smile:
Cheers
David

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 125
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Truma

This is the first occasion we've spent time in the m/h in the winter. As such were on a steep learning curve with the heating/ water. It seems as though I can't get hot water without the heating being on at the same time.equally I can't get either heating or hot water on electric alone. I've put a picture which shows the setting I tried to get hot water. The orange boiler heating light is on but after eight hours it was still on!! Pam I being more stupid than usual?:Smile:
Cheers
David

Your setting shows you are asking for 40 degree water only and no heating at the lowestoft input setting. This will take a long time, probably up to an hour for like warm water, longer for really hot. If you want hot water on just electricity use the "two lines" setting, not the single you have set. However the speed of heating water on electricity depends on the amp input, some sites are as lows 6amp.

Remember, the top dial is how you select the power input, high electric, low electric, gas or gas and electric combined. The lower dial is how you select what you want to achieve, hottest water, not so hot water, heating only, or hot water and heating combined.

You will always get best results using gas only as the power source, for heating or hot water or both,this gives fairly fast hot water, around 30 mins. If you have heating and hot water on together it will take much longer to get hot water as the heating is prioritised.

Why not get a download of the instructions from Truma, I expect a web search would yield results.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi David, I have a similar type of heating, Truma 603C type, but different controls to yours, all I can say is that the electric hot water heat up is set on 60d and cannot be changed unlike the shower/hot water where you can set either 40 or 60d, I think you can see this on your pic as the solid flame with the 60 inside it is probably the hot water on ehu only,,,,,
Looks lie you have to select some sort of programme from the bottom switch to get it going and the top switch designates hot water or c/h and h/w?????? so thin you have to select correct settings first?????? Hope this helps a little, other than that maybe give John cross motorhomes a call 01580 881288 big dealers and repairers so they know what they are talking about and they are always very helpful on here and are also funster members as well, best of luck mate, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have the same controls as you, you need to select hot water only then select how to heat either elec, gas or both. I have an idiot proof A4 instruction sheet that I keep in the MH as I always forget how it works so if you would like a copy let me know I can stick it n here.

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
Your setting shows you are asking for 40 degree water only and no heating at the lowestoft input setting. This will take a long time, probably up to an hour for like warm water, longer for really hot. If you want hot water on just electricity use the "two lines" setting, not the single you have set. However the speed of heating water on electricity depends on the amp input, some sites are as lows 6amp.

Remember, the top dial is how you select the power input, high electric, low electric, gas or gas and electric combined. The lower dial is how you select what you want to achieve, hottest water, not so hot water, heating only, or hot water and heating combined.

You will always get best results using gas only as the power source, for heating or hot water or both,this gives fairly fast hot water, around 30 mins. If you have heating and hot water on together it will take much longer to get hot water as the heating is prioritised.

Why not get a download of the instructions from Truma, I expect a web search would yield results.

well explained

we had a similar setup in our Hymer and it took me a long time to get to understand how the 2 dials worked together - yet my missus got it from the start. our brains must be wired up differently......:thumb:

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
I have the same controls as you, you need to select hot water only then select how to heat either elec, gas or both.[HI] I have an idiot proof A4 instruction sheet that I keep in the MH as I always forget how it works [/HI]so if you would like a copy let me know I can stick it n here.

:roflmto: snap. I thought it was only me . Doesn"t help any where the controls are sited in our van,ie about 15cm off the floor on the side panel of the fixed bed .( heater in under bed storage area.) Need to have head on the floor or be a contortionist to see the settings . What possesses the builders to site controls in such obviously daft places ? Especially since they provide about 2-3 metres of spare cables neatly coiled at the rear of the controls . One of these days will re route these cables and controls to a more sensible area .Providing of course this can be done , which I assume it can .

OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I have the same controls as you, you need to select hot water only then select how to heat either elec, gas or both. I have an idiot proof A4 instruction sheet that I keep in the MH as I always forget how it works so if you would like a copy let me know I can stick it n here.

Idiot proof sounds ideal . That would be really useful!
Thanks for all the other suggestions, I'll let you know how I get on. :Smile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
"Remember, the top dial is how you select the power input, high electric, low electric, gas or gas and electric combined. The lower dial is how you select what you want to achieve, hottest water, not so hot water, heating only, or hot water and heating combined."

I'm sorry to disagree but you've got this explanation arse about face. The top dial selects summer or winter modes and the bottom dial is the energy selector.

D.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Arse

"Remember, the top dial is how you select the power input, high electric, low electric, gas or gas and electric combined. The lower dial is how you select what you want to achieve, hottest water, not so hot water, heating only, or hot water and heating combined."

I'm sorry to disagree but you've got this explanation arse about face. The top dial selects summer or winter modes and the bottom dial is the energy selector.

D.

I know what I wanted to say, it's just my fingers typed it the wrong way around.!! You are quite right of course, arse about face. :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
truma

u r on low elec/low heat put both on hot[60] elec [2] blower on 5 = red hot:ROFLMAO:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Idiot proof sounds ideal . That would be really useful!
Thanks for all the other suggestions, I'll let you know how I get on. :Smile:

I will take pictures of them and send them to you, will be in touch tonight to tomorrow depends when the rain stops so I can walk the 10 foot to the van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a look at the photos here:

Broken Link Removed

If you want a copy you can print and stick somewhere suitable let me have your email address and I'll send it to you as a pdf.

Our controllers were on the front of one of the rear inward facing seat bases and we could NOT see them properly at all plus they were very vulnerable to being damaged by anything being stored under there when it was in 'bed' mode (we had knocked the knobs off one of them already!) so I moved them to the side of the wardrobe - it wasn't difficult at all, just fiddly!

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Put the settings as suggested, three hours later still no hot water:Sad::Sad::Sad:

Could it be the electric element has gone? I had this happen just recently - luckily still inside the warranty period. Heater controls lit up as normal but only lukewarm water and heating. I was able to easily work out what it was because a couple of hours earlier the van's supply tripped out at the on-board circuit breaker. I reset the trip (and the heater control, which showed red as its supply had been cut off) and the heater appeared to be normal (ie no flashing red LED to indicate a fault). However after 2 hours it was still failing to reach its normal temperature. Worked fine on gas until i could get the element replaced. Have you had something similar with a circuit breaker tripping maybe? :Smile:

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
I had the same problem took a couple of atemps to make it work great, I think its a man thing as we never read instructions

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
This is my printed instructions for the truma.. It may help..
Elements are cheap and not too difficult to replace if you can get access.

Attachments

• img20140306_152352.jpg
    img20140306_152352.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Got the hot water with gas setting - so just electric that isn't ' heating the water.
Maybe it is the element. Anyone know any more about purchasing and fitting an element?
David

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
Got the hot water with gas setting - so just electric that isn't ' heating the water.
Maybe it is the element. Anyone know any more about purchasing and fitting an element?
David

no idea on fitting an element but, to me, I would get the Truma checked by a dealer. it may not be the element but something else within the electrics.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sorry for the delay I completely forgot here is a pic of my instructions if you can't read them I will email them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 19

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Step 2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 19
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Just as an aside, if you have just the heating on with the boiler tank full of water, because it is the same heating system it actually heats the water up anyway.

Well, it does on ours :Blush:

OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Took it into Highbridge caravans yesterday. They rang me to tell me it is the element which has gone. Also warned me it could take up to 4 hours to strip down boiler and replace. Not looking forward to the bill.!!!!
Will let you know what the final damage is.:cry:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Took it into Highbridge caravans yesterday. They rang me to tell me it is the element which has gone.

But at least you can console yourself that it wasn't because you are unable to operate the Truma controls correctly. :Smile:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
looking at your phot it looks like it is showing a fault red light opposit no elements about £80.00 each plus fitting
diy job

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Dai, too many posts on the thread for me to read but can I just say how it was explained to me ..... as I am a simpleton. It may help you.

There are two dials. One is for when you are on Electric hook up ... BUT THE DAFT THING IS .. even when not on electric hook up, if you want the other dial to work, you have to set this ehu dial to the single little flame picture .. or the gas doesn't work.

The other one is more or less self explanatory ... flame equals van heat, squiggly line represents water (choice of forty or sixty degrees).

If you are on hook up, you use the EHU knob.

(The black button in the middle represents the intensity of the heat you want for inside the van.. I just leave mine on three as it soon warms up_) Sorry if I am repeating what everybody else has said.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back