Truma hot water problem

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Redjumpa, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Redjumpa

Redjumpa Funster

I have a 1991 Hymer 544. When I top up with water I fill the Truma hot water tank by bleeding the air out, fine no problem.

If I leave it for 3 or 4 hours before using any hot water I have to bleed the air out again.

Question - Is this a non return valve issue (beware.. it sounds like I know what I'm talking about here but I really don't!!) the water doesn't appear to be leaking out so I'm guessing it is draining back to the cold water tank.

Any help / advice appreciated.......

A - Is my diagnosis likely to be correct?

B - If A is correct, where do I find the non return valve?

C - What else could it be?

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

With the absence of obvious leaks in the pipe work I think you have diagnosed correctly ..

What type of pump do you have ?

If you have a submersible pump there should be a non - return valve in the discharge pipe close to the tank.. that's where I'd look first, if not there then follow the line until you find it. It may only need cleaning.

On the other hand, if it is a Surflo pump, they don't normally have a non return valve.. by design, the pump acts as a no return valve, so it may be a hole in the pump diaphragm.. or dirt in the pump.. before going further .. tell us what pump you have.

3. Redjumpa

Redjumpa Funster

It's a submersible pump. It works fine on the cold side so I'm guessing it's ok.

My understanding (limited) is the single pump "pushes" the hot water through the tank.

Sorry, that's about as technical as I get. If it is the non return valve what am I looking for, does it sit within the pipe or is it something large that will have conections at each side.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

it will look like or similar to this..

http://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=608

5. Redjumpa

Redjumpa Funster