Trip to the NEC

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by awg, Feb 23, 2015.

1. awg

awg Funster

Hi,

First post so please be kind.

Went to the NEC last Friday to look at some Motorhomes. I’ve been researching for a few months now and have already bought James Brown’s Buyers Guide. I had a list of “must have” and “nice to have” requirements which put the Chausson 717 GA at the top of my list with a Hymer MT580 stretching the budget in second place although we were quite open to see what else was available as we wandered round.

We’ve considered hiring a Motorhome for a week this year with a purchase next so I was by no means committed to buying one this weekend. A wander round the halls looking at a few was quite good fun and eventually we found the Chausson stand. Both my wife and I were underwhelmed by the 717. It had the layout we wanted and all or “must haves” but somehow it just didn’t real right for us. Somewhat disappointed we wandered to the Hymer stand which wasn’t very far away. The MT580 seemed to suite us much better but we still weren’t blown away by it. I had sort of made up my mind up that a lowline coach built was the option for us but then we went past the Carethago stand and had a wander into their 143 i-compact A class. What a Motorhome, layout we wanted, fantastic quality but an eye watering price. We spent ages inside and chatted to a salesman for a while before wandering off to have a drink and chat. Getting the drink was easy but finding somewhere to sit was a challenge even on a Friday. Anyway loads of head scratching and number juggling resulted in us back at the stand for a proper chat with the same salesman, this time over a cup of coffee. End result is we collect a 143 i-compact in May. We have no trade-in and the negotiations were not that painful. We specked the options we wanted (minus the awning) and had a friendly haggle over price. Once I felt there was no more movement on the price I introduced the £1100 awning and we chatted some more. End result was a 12% discount on the base price plus options at the full list price which I felt was reasonable.

We had booked into a hotel in Birmingham, so it was straight there and into the bar for a calming drink before dinner. Saturday was a wander round Birmingham and another meal in the evening. On Sunday we thought we’d go back to the NEC and have a look at the accessories which we’d totally ignored while we were studying the available Motorhomes.

I’d kept hearing that joining Motorhome fun was cheap but that’s not really the case now is it? It might only be £10 to join but what about the £240 we spent on Duvaleys’ which seem to be most peoples favorite or the new Corelle crockery. By the time we’d bought all the stuff I’d seen recommended on here I could only just carry it back to the car. £10 yea right, you lot cost me a fortune :)

We’ve done loads of European trips by motorbike over the years so as soon as the new toy arrives in May we’ll be off to investigate the French Aires. I can’t wait…

Allan

• Like Like x 9
  2. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

Hi -I too think you're correct our leader Jim provides in his publications vast amounts of well researched useful information which can readily leave you perplexed as to the goodies you want or perhaps need. Then in my case many who know me would say that the fool and his money are easily parted!
    Great to hear you found your dream.
    Ian

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Welcome from a fellow Essexshire resident (y)
    Sounds like you had an expensive trip to the NEC. Roll on May !!

4. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Exciting times ahead, pleased you found something that suits you which is a lovely M/H
    Your right about fun cost me a fortune but you know that all the information on here makes the purchase easier with some very knowledgable funsters

5. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Carthago. A very good make, our friends bought one a year ago and are well pleased with it. Upper price bracket but like all German mohos extremely well built. Enjoy it when it arrives.
    Phil

6. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I visited on Friday, the MoHo area did seem an bit smaller but what really struck me was the bland and cheap looking fittings in a lot of them, my opinion was that in medium size ones you needed to spend 60k up for decent quality fittings, I liked the Carethago range and owning a German one that is where I will stay, could not afford the one I would have liked to order though !!

7. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Welcome to Fun but remember, after buying all the stuff recommended on Fun you've probably saved yourself a fortune by buying the right stuff in the first place instead of the crap you may have thought looked the part. :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

hello.jpg

9. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

Congrats and wishing you many miles of safe travels in your MH.

Kath

10. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

Ditto....

11. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

Hi Awg
    I was at the nec on sunday , and had a good look around at what was on display , I was disappointed at the quality of the fittings in a lot of the makes and coukd nit find a low profile that got me exited , but those A class MH , ticked quite a few boxes , and we fell in lust with the Rapido, s infact I had to forcibly walk away as I felt my self reaching for the cheque book , ill wait untill I sell my house before I spend that much money , I had a budget in mind but as my wife said , that she would rather spend extra on a MH that we both loved than comprimse .
    Good choice on the cathargo , looks to be a lot more comfortable than a tent whilst motorbiking , yes ive done my share of that too , I have a honda valkyrie

12. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

Hello and welcome , buying the m/h is the easy bit ! , but as others have said , buying accessories that are recommended by real users actually saves you money . enjoy your new hobby .