Trip to England

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Onderweg, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Onderweg

Onderweg Funster

Hi all,
    We have never been to England and in the chat they convinced Ineke and me that we certainly must give it a try :Eek!:

Never been there so we are hungry for information, especially for camper places so we can easily pick a good place to spend the night :Blush:

We do not have many points of interest for camper places, nor camping sites.
    Maybe you can help us to obtain them.

We are planning to leave around Sept 5th and return Sept 17th. We will book the ferry Dunkerque-Dover and back from Norfolk line and we will be in the southern part of England.

From Dover our first stop will be Leeds castle than we will proceed to London for most likely 2 days,
    than a gap to be filled in.
    We will try to visit the Shepton mallet meet, Wonder how the English really look like :Rofl1::cry:
    Next we will proceed to Devon and after that return do Dover along the southern coast.

If you can help us with poi's that would be much appreciated. Other tips are welcome too :thumb::thumb:

Maybe see you in Shepton

Paul and Ineke

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Dover to Leeds is going NORTH, longish trip!:Eeek:

3. pendy

pendy Read Only Funster

Leeds castle

Leeds castle is in Kent.

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Oh silly me!:cry:

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

still only 225 miles peter.....and yorkshires worth the visit:thumb: but no scabby scarborough.:Doh:

6. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

may I suggest that you arrive in dover late in the evening ....perhaps getting a better price on the ferry crossing ! don't forget you will gain an hour during the crossing

norfolk lines ships have free wifi so don't forget to take your computer upstairs with you ....the transmitters are near the truck drivers restaurant and the fiirst class lounge

when you arrive drive straight ahead as you leave the port [ direction folkstone ] then take the second turning to the left ; you arrive on the promenade where you can spend the night with all the other motorhomes ...it is free between 6pm and 8am ....you can pay a parking fee if you wish to stay longer

one reason I suggest this is that you then start fresh in the morning when you begin driving on the left ....I always suggest that first timers tie something to the steering wheel at night as a reminder ! although it is very easy [ english people seem to be able to drive on the right!] the first roundabout will seem wrong!

enjoy your visit to england

7. johnnerontheroad

johnnerontheroad Read Only Funster

8. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

Next time go Rotterdam - Hull and visit the friendly north, good beer and we would show you around :thumb:

Ralph & Dot

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Leeds Castle is in KENT get your Atlas out, hee hee

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  10. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

As most of the CC's and CL's are club sites maybe members have old directories they can pass over to Paul, he has a Caravan club directory, but what about the others MCC,CCC anyone have an old or unused directory lying around?

11. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

HA HA, your a few posts too late, some else out me in my place before you!:shout:

Theres a camp site called Crazy Lane near Battle with interesting sites near and Eddie VanBitz place in Taunton, Somerset.

www.crazylane.co.uk/

www.cornishfarm.com

Peter

12. Onderweg

Onderweg Funster

Peter,

You have stolen Ineke's hart with the BODIAM castle

:thumb:

13. JayDee

JayDee Funster

So much to see and so little time. Oh well, a little bit now a little bit more another time.

I you're coming down to our part of the world (Devon) then Eden Project (actually in Cornwall) is a must see, and take a look at some of Dartmoor (don't rate Princetown - it's got the prison and, if I remember, not much else), Widdicombe is very picturesque, but quite popular with tourists. Exmoor (northern Devon) is beautiful as well, suggest around Lynmouth and Countisbury. Bath (near Bristol) is worth a visit, as is Bristol, and there's Salisbury, then on the Dorset coast there's the Isle of Purbeck, but I've already suggested about a weeks worth of things to see, so I'll shut up now.
    Just come and enjoy your time with us.
    We're not so different :BigGrin:

For places to stay try this link

The UK Camp Site for Tent and Caravan Campers in the UK
    There are others but this has many places for camping, some good, some not so good.
    Pot luck really as the reviews all seem to contradict each other :RollEyes:

John

14. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

I spent two weeks in holland with my family about thirty five years ago. I hope the English make you feel as welcome here as the Dutch made us feel there. They were fantastic, nearly every shop we went into ( small villages ) gave the children sweets and were very kind to us.

15. wkdtroll

wkdtroll Read Only Funster

Paul

Forget England and come to Wales - see some REAL castles :thumb:

16. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Looks like you will miss the best of the UK.

Derbyshire Peak District.
    Lake District.
    Highlands.

Now these are the places to visit. See hills, a treat for the Dutch, must be, because many are to be found in these areas.

Abbey Wood camping is very good for London. A walk to the station and cheap all day ticket gets you all round the place.

I hope you enjoy the UK wherever you go.

17. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Yeah. Up north's alright. Wales is pretty good too. So's Scotland, and the Lake District, and Northumberland, and...., and...., and...

Let's face it, it's all good (well perhaps with the exception of some of the inner cities and suchlike). Personally I prefer to live in the West Country and visit the rest. :BigGrin:

John

18. Onderweg

Onderweg Funster

Its great to get all these tips.

I guess everybody who tells here that the other parts of Great Brittain are great are absolutely right. But this is the first time and only for 2 weeks :shout:

It took us 20plus trips to Scandinavia to get the hang of it :Rofl1:

If this first trip to Great Brittain turns out great........ we will be back !!!

Paul, Ineke and Giddy

19. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

oh dear , do you intend to bring a dog ?
    if so , please read the rules and regulations for doing so VERY CAREFULLY

20. clwyd

clwyd Read Only Funster

UK Camping

Campsites in the UK are generally much dearer (£8 min and usually £12 +) except for some excellent member only sites, and not (in my view) up to EU standards! (esp. cf. France, but also Holland, Denmark, Germany ?, Belgium?, Luxembourg?) We've been around all these and UK for 40+ years and recommend you join the Camping and Caravanning Club and get their site brochure (you'll need membership to use "Listed Sites", or of an EU Club??). .. but may get an old site guide from a member ..... I've just found a spare one. [much more useful than ones from shops]
    I'm much less familiar with UK than Continental sites!!
    email your address to dshoreman@tiscali.co.uk so that I can send it. (Unless you could meet us near Calais next Sunday/Tuesday - or so!!! - I've forgotten which day we cross!)

The Caravan Club is an alternative for a different large range of sites.

Suggest also a Camping Carnet - not usually so strict here as at some EU ones, but may avoid problems.

We're in N. Wales and you could come this way in September (We're away until 2nd from later this week so can't help as much as I'd like).

Ring: Camping Club: 02476 475442 (membership) or via: magazine@thefriendlyclub.co.uk

As for Southern Places to visit I can add hundreds! I'll try to enclose a National Trust guide - they have some excellent places in the South, esp. Uppark, Bodiam, Petworth, Polesden Lacey, Godalming to Guildford Navigation (you've probably had enough canals!!!), Stourhead house and gardens, Kingston Lacey, Mottisfont Abbey (with a superb Rex Whistler Room) as well as an old rose collection, Buckland Abbey & Saltram House in Devon, Lanhydrock and Cotehele in Cornwall, & Tyntesfield (near Bristol - must book), to mention just a few of the best.
    ... and Canterbury, Salisbury, Winchester, Exeter cathedrals, the South Coast west from Poole and Swanage, the New Forest at Brockenhurst and esp. Beaulieu to Buckler's Hard, and Lymington harbour (from where you can ferry to Isle of Wight either by car or for a day trip). The rail journey from Exmouth via Exeter to Teighmouth or Newton Abbott (good shopping), or Dawlish follows the superb coast almost the whole way & is a special treat - easy parking at Exmouth station, with expensive ferry back from Starcross if desired (times vital!). The day trip fare was very reasonable when we did it (less than the ferry one way...).

Dartmoor (esp. the drive across from Chagford, then Moretonhampstead to Yelverton, and/or Ashburton to Poundsgate and Two Bridges)and Exmoor for wilder terrain.
    Where to stop?

I see I've repeated what a few others have said, but ...

Regards, Derek