towing car behind motorhome

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by mengler, Jan 24, 2011.

1. mengler

mengler Read Only Funster

We would like to tow a small car behind our 6mtre motor home to europe this year =. fginding it hard to find legal requirements Hoping to go to france spain and portugal any information would be great

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Honest answer use a trailor :thumb:
    Uk ignores A frames
    France mostly ignores A frames
    Spain does;nt like A frames
    Massive grey areas involved no definitive answers were all waiting for one:Doh:
    Geo

3. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Its very hard to argue with a policeman with a gun!:Eeek:

4. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Mengler
    I agree with Geo, use a trailor at least you know you will be right:thumb:, I always do if we take the Smart. Pete :thumb::thumb:

5. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Full info for Spain with pictures

http://************************/ftopicp-826456.html#826456

6. keith

keith Funster

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Looking at the stars me thinks its a forbidden link to another site
    Its been auto blocked:thumb:

8. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Spot on use a trailer but work out what weight you can tow before going to the exspense, make syre you get the right one.

All the best Rick

9. Loddy

Loddy Read Only Funster

When did a trailer become a trailor?.

Loddy:Rofl1:

10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Sorry meant to say
    Use a traylaw:RollEyes:
    Taking the P**S out of ererors is the lowest form of whhittt:Doh:
    its not my folt im deslexik and i have wrights too u no:Angry:
    I will reepu
    rapou
    Im tellin Jim:Cool:

11. peter marshall

peter marshall

In The NORTH LOL:thumb::thumb::thumb:

12. billkce

billkce Funster

We've been towing a Smartie & a traelieior for a year now thru-out Europe & no-one takes a blind bit of notice. The police are far too busy with more important stuff. Especially in Italy. A lot of people worry unnecessarily about the pros/cons, rights/wrongs, legality/illegality of towing. Just do it if it suits you. A-frame or trailer - no matter.:Smile:

Billkce

13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

My sentiments entirely I use an A frame
    But the poster needed an Honest answer
    and the only 100% trouble free way is with one of those pully along things I cant spell:Doh:
    Goe:BigGrin:

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if you really must tow a car in europe, then make sure you have a second, insured full licence holder with you.

if stopped you will probably be told to unhitch the toad....but be ready for an on the spot fine especially in spain.

to be sure you are legal, as others have said, use a trailer.

15. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Why would you need to tow a car with a 6m 'van? Its small enough to manage without a car, surely.
    Are the perceived benefits of towing that car really worth the extra costs incurred, ie the cost of the trailer/a-frame, towbar, more expensive ferry ticket, extra fuel and insurance? Not to mention the hassle of security of your betrailered car whilst you are parked up!

I'm only trying to offer another point of view, and I apologise if I have missed the point and a mobility issue is making your choice for you.

16. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, our vans only 6.72m, :Smile: and it depends where we go, when we go to Germany / France and moving on every couple of days we don't take it. When we go to Spain and staying on camp sites for a couple of months its well worth the extra cost.:thumb:
    We toured Brittany for 2 months and took the car, and saw a lot more than we would have without it.:BigGrin:
    When in the UK we like the THS with the C & C C then we like the car, this weekend we went to a meet at Chelmsford with the MCC and never took the car, but even though there was a bus stop outside the site its not cheap if you don't have a bus pass.:Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1: Bob.

17. Goose

Goose Read Only Funster

In early December, just over a month ago, we were touring through Spain (Andalucia) with an Aussie couple who were towing a little red car (Peugot/Citroen/Renault/Aygo??) on an A-frame. We weren't travelling together...just seemed to be hitting the same spots and campsites doing the Grenada, Cordoba and Seville thing.

On the road to Seville we noticed a motorhome pulled over on the downramp to the highway. The Spanish police looked like they were taking photographs of the motorhome and toad. :Eek!:

At the Seville campsite we bumped into the Aussies again. It was them who'd been pulled over and the police were indeed taking photos.

"No worries", says the Aussie. He whipped out some paperwork/certificate (I think it was Towtal) gave him and gave a copy to the police. On request he showed them how the brakes worked and how the steering for the toad worked. And after a while he was waved on his way again.

He had nothing bad to say about the police. According to him they (apparantly) hadn't seen anything like it before so were "investigating".

Can't believe they'd never seen anything like it before. So, are they softening in their views toward A-frames? Were they gathering field information (photos etc)? One of the things the Aussie mentioned was that the police had even been kind enough to motion him off at a highway glide-off and had him stop at the glide-on, so he could easily be on his merry way again. ( wonder if this wan't so they could check the braking system, somehow?)

It would be great if the Aussie was a member here and could elaborate on the experience.

P.S. Both vehicles were GB-registered.

P.P.S. I really wish members wouldn't do the tsk-tsk, raised eye-brow, rolled-eyes :RollEyes: thing whenever a-frames are brought up. The subject may well have been covered in depth before but there are always new experiences, new developments and constructive comments us newbies would appreciate the low-down on (even if it's a link to a sticky or where it's all been said before) :secret:

18. mengler

mengler Read Only Funster

Many thanks Goose We are cosidering a tow car as we want to stay in one place longer and explore Last year we were in Tuscanny and even with a 6 mt. camper it was hard to explore the hill towns We are going to the Peterburgh show so hopefully will get some advice there.

PS I know I can,t spell but please do not correct I think communication on any level is good

19. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

If you want one mengler you get one, What's the worst that could happen? I know loads that have towed all over Europe with no issues. I am yet to see a prison sentance handed out for the offence. But Geo is correct, the only absolute legal way is with a traylor.
    I have an aframe for my little 100bhp panda and love the freedom it gives on occasions. We dont use it all the time, just when we think it will be useful.

As for the above comment, I forgot to say, Welcome to the site. One thing that is not tolerated on this site and has never ever been is criticism of people's spelling. As long as it is readable and communicative it's fine. In all my years as a member I have only ever seen one person given a ban (short) from using the site, and that was due to his need to consistently point out posters poor spelling.
    us funsters dont like that, its what seperates us from others.

And goose, your correct, we do roll our eyes, and we shouldn't when subjects like this come up. The further down the line you go the more you forget what it was like to be new to something. So your right to point it out.:thumb:

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011