TOWER BRIDGE LONG-TERM CLOSURE

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wingman, Sep 30, 2016.

1. wingman

wingman Funster

Now don't start!!!
    If any of the following appears, I will get my fellow stalwart and bastion of the Saaf @buttons to reply :D:D

"London's a filthy hole....I avoid it like the plague....haven't been there for 30 years - let's hope it's another thirty......It's full of foreigners...." La-di-da.

Anyway, here's a heads-up for those who do come...

Anyone visiting our amazing Capital, visiting family, or driving through it, may like to know that from Sat 1st October 2016 Tower Bridge is closing to traffic for 3 months!! It will also be closed to pedestrians for three weekends during this period.

This will cause chaos, because despite being a nice monument, the bridge is a popular route for traffic crossing the Thames between the City of London and the South. As a consequence, other bridges (like Blackfriars and Southwark) will be used as an alternative crossing. The Blackwall Tunnel - frequently used by those avoiding Dartford and congestion charge areas - will also become more gridlocked than usual.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Best city in the world by far.

• Like Like x 4
  3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Ely is more peaceful.:)

4. Autowbars

Autowbars Funster

45 years since I have been and don't feel any urge to go now, best thing ever to come out was the M25

• Like Like x 2
  5. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

When I lived and worked in London, I worked my route so I would drive over London bridge twice a day.
    One morning in rush hour, it was being opened, and all traffic stopped and engines off. Just awesome! !

• Like Like x 2
  6. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Not inclined to do any of the aforesaid, Largely because they make "lots of cash" out of mugs who do, by way of "Congestion Charges" etc;. When I was Driving and trying to do a job Delivering the goods that "Londoners" wanted. All I ever got was Hassle, can`t park there mate!. not even for 10 min to deliver. Put me off Londinistan for life!. Now retired I wont ever set foot inside the place again!.:whistle::whistle:

IMV. It`s beyond time we had a NEW "Capital" (maybe in Yorkshire the home of the REAL Kings of England, Plantagenates ) and left the place to rot!.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  7. buttons

buttons Funster

Hi Wingman yes I have been keeping up with the Tower Bridge saga, listening to the black cab drivers you would think the end is nigh. Taking any of the bridges out will always have a knock on effect on all parts of the city.

We are booked in with Fortnum and Mason for classic afternoon tea with champagne on 17th of December so it should be all back to normal by then. We normally take the tube in then hop on a bus or the Thames clipper to get around. It saves all that traffic and parking aggro. What a fantastic capital we have on our doorstep wingman........(y);)

• Like Like x 2
  8. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

It wasn't you that bought the bridge to go to the USA for rebuilding. They thought they were getting Tower Bridge when they bought London Bridge. Bit further up River.

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The Plantagenets originated in Anjou, France. The houses of both York and Lancaster descended from Edward III, the third Plantagenet King of England.

Taking us back into the EU are you? :LOL:

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Seconded.....York.

Leave parliament and the financial district where it is......we don't want those dicks up here..... but bring the tourism and retail up here.
    Tower bridge would easily span the Ouse and the Foss together.
    The London York eye would look good sat in the museum gardens.
    The ground is wet and soft enough to dig a new underground in a month.
    Maybe get the A64 up to motorway status as well. :Eeek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

put a fence round the inside of the m25 and realise londonistan for what it really is. the country's largest asylum seeker centre

• Like Like x 2
  12. wingman

wingman Funster

Hi @buttons
    You may have to re-think your plans for the 17th because it's shut from 1st Oct to 30th.December.

What did you think about moving our Capital to Yorkshire :D

PS. Enjoy your tea and cakes!

• Like Like x 1
  13. boroboy

boroboy Funster

I've heard on this forum Skegness is a better option than London

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

london bridge opening would be an awesome sight as its made from reinforced concrete i suspect you meant to say tower bridge

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. buttons

buttons Funster

Blimey it is shut over Christmas no wonder the cabies are winging. Moving to Yorkshire :LOL::LOL: Problem with yorkies is they only see the monetary gain. They are a tad jealous that our semi's are fetching three quarters of a million while theirs are making loose change. No thought given to the full picture. They live a life of Riley op there. If they really wanted a slice of the cake then get on a train and see what the south east really has to offer, warts and all.;):)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. PeteH

PeteH Funster

This is currently the subject of some dispute amongst Historians, who have indicated that E-3rd was from the "wrong side of the blanket"!.:D:whistle:

pete

17. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Just a bit!

I'm sure whatever work they're doing is essential but choosing to do it leading up to, and over, the Christmas period, when London is busier than usual, seem to me to be a bizarre thing to do.

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Still the ancestor of both the houses of York and Lancaster though - and Plantagenets were still French :LOL:

19. Kevinthecat

Kevinthecat Funster

Just wait until a car breaks down in the Rotherhithe tunnel , Armageddon!
    I'm a community nurse and spend so much time sitting in traffic and if there's just one little hic up with any of bridges then we pay for it with stand still traffic all day.
    Arrrrrgh .

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

All this worry about traffic is just another indicator of how silly it is to wedge so many people into such a small part of the country.

Breakdowns and accidents happen everywhere but don't have such an effect if population and overall capacity are better aligned.