TOWER BRIDGE LONG-TERM CLOSURE (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Now don't start!!!
If any of the following appears, I will get my fellow stalwart and bastion of the Saaf @buttons to reply :D:D

"London's a filthy hole....I avoid it like the plague....haven't been there for 30 years - let's hope it's another thirty......It's full of foreigners...." La-di-da.

Anyway, here's a heads-up for those who do come...

Anyone visiting our amazing Capital, visiting family, or driving through it, may like to know that from Sat 1st October 2016 Tower Bridge is closing to traffic for 3 months!! It will also be closed to pedestrians for three weekends during this period.

This will cause chaos, because despite being a nice monument, the bridge is a popular route for traffic crossing the Thames between the City of London and the South. As a consequence, other bridges (like Blackfriars and Southwark) will be used as an alternative crossing. The Blackwall Tunnel - frequently used by those avoiding Dartford and congestion charge areas - will also become more gridlocked than usual.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
When I lived and worked in London, I worked my route so I would drive over London bridge twice a day.
One morning in rush hour, it was being opened, and all traffic stopped and engines off. Just awesome! !

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Anyone visiting our amazing Capital, visiting family, or driving through it,

Not inclined to do any of the aforesaid, Largely because they make "lots of cash" out of mugs who do, by way of "Congestion Charges" etc;. When I was Driving and trying to do a job Delivering the goods that "Londoners" wanted. All I ever got was Hassle, can`t park there mate!. not even for 10 min to deliver. Put me off Londinistan for life!. Now retired I wont ever set foot inside the place again!.:whistle::whistle:

IMV. It`s beyond time we had a NEW "Capital" (maybe in Yorkshire the home of the REAL Kings of England, Plantagenates ) and left the place to rot!.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Now don't start!!!
If any of the following appears, I will get my fellow stalwart and bastion of the Saaf @buttons to reply :D:D

"London's a filthy hole....I avoid it like the plague....haven't been there for 30 years - let's hope it's another thirty......It's full of foreigners...." La-di-da.

Anyway, here's a heads-up for those who do come...

Anyone visiting our amazing Capital, visiting family, or driving through it, may like to know that from Sat 1st October 2016 Tower Bridge is closing to traffic for 3 months!! It will also be closed to pedestrians for three weekends during this period.

This will cause chaos, because despite being a nice monument, the bridge is a popular route for traffic crossing the Thames between the City of London and the South. As a consequence, other bridges (like Blackfriars and Southwark) will be used as an alternative crossing. The Blackwall Tunnel - frequently used by those avoiding Dartford and congestion charge areas - will also become more gridlocked than usual.
Hi Wingman yes I have been keeping up with the Tower Bridge saga, listening to the black cab drivers you would think the end is nigh. Taking any of the bridges out will always have a knock on effect on all parts of the city.

We are booked in with Fortnum and Mason for classic afternoon tea with champagne on 17th of December so it should be all back to normal by then. We normally take the tube in then hop on a bus or the Thames clipper to get around. It saves all that traffic and parking aggro. What a fantastic capital we have on our doorstep wingman........(y);)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When I lived and worked in London, I worked my route so I would drive over London bridge twice a day.
One morning in rush hour, it was being opened, and all traffic stopped and engines off. Just awesome! !
It wasn't you that bought the bridge to go to the USA for rebuilding. They thought they were getting Tower Bridge when they bought London Bridge. Bit further up River.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
IMV. It`s beyond time we had a NEW "Capital" (maybe in Yorkshire the home of the REAL Kings of England, Plantagenates ) and left the place to rot!.:whistle::whistle::whistle:
The Plantagenets originated in Anjou, France. The houses of both York and Lancaster descended from Edward III, the third Plantagenet King of England.

Taking us back into the EU are you? :LOL:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
IMV. It`s beyond time we had a NEW "Capital" (maybe in Yorkshire the home of the REAL Kings of England, Plantagenates ) and left the place to rot!
Seconded.....York.

Leave parliament and the financial district where it is......we don't want those dicks up here..... but bring the tourism and retail up here.
Tower bridge would easily span the Ouse and the Foss together.
The London York eye would look good sat in the museum gardens.
The ground is wet and soft enough to dig a new underground in a month.
Maybe get the A64 up to motorway status as well. :Eeek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
put a fence round the inside of the m25 and realise londonistan for what it really is. the country's largest asylum seeker centre

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi @buttons
You may have to re-think your plans for the 17th because it's shut from 1st Oct to 30th.December.

What did you think about moving our Capital to Yorkshire :D

PS. Enjoy your tea and cakes!

Dec 22, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
since 2011
I've heard on this forum Skegness is a better option than London

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
london bridge opening would be an awesome sight as its made from reinforced concrete i suspect you meant to say tower bridge

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi @buttons
You may have to re-think your plans for the 17th because it's shut from 1st Oct to 30th.December.

What did you think about moving our Capital to Yorkshire :D

PS. Enjoy your tea and cakes!
Blimey it is shut over Christmas no wonder the cabies are winging. Moving to Yorkshire :LOL::LOL: Problem with yorkies is they only see the monetary gain. They are a tad jealous that our semi's are fetching three quarters of a million while theirs are making loose change. No thought given to the full picture. They live a life of Riley op there. If they really wanted a slice of the cake then get on a train and see what the south east really has to offer, warts and all.;):)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
This will cause chaos, because despite being a nice monument, the bridge is a popular route for traffic crossing the Thames between the City of London and the South.

Just a bit!

I'm sure whatever work they're doing is essential but choosing to do it leading up to, and over, the Christmas period, when London is busier than usual, seem to me to be a bizarre thing to do.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This is currently the subject of some dispute amongst Historians, who have indicated that E-3rd was from the "wrong side of the blanket"!.:D:whistle:

pete
Still the ancestor of both the houses of York and Lancaster though - and Plantagenets were still French :LOL:

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Just wait until a car breaks down in the Rotherhithe tunnel , Armageddon!
I'm a community nurse and spend so much time sitting in traffic and if there's just one little hic up with any of bridges then we pay for it with stand still traffic all day.
Arrrrrgh .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
All this worry about traffic is just another indicator of how silly it is to wedge so many people into such a small part of the country.

Breakdowns and accidents happen everywhere but don't have such an effect if population and overall capacity are better aligned.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
whats worse is its the only bridge on the east side that isnt in the congestion zone

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back