Tow bar height/bike rack height

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by Ridgeway, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

In my bid to find a way to carry 6 bikes without having the ordeal of towing a trailer I think the best solution will be a Thule type tow bar mounted bike rack with the usual Thule Omni Bike rack hard fixed to the rear wall. The Omni rack is already on and is fortunately mounted very high due to the toilet cassette access door being on this rear wall. I have pricing and specs for the chassis extensions, tow bar and electrics plus the bike rack that I will mount on it however I can see now that the space between these 2 racks will not be large and may only cope with children's bikes which is fine for today.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea on what height the tow bar would be at and also if anyone has done the same and what height does the bike rack sit at ?

Here's some pics of the rear of the MH with the existing Omni rack already on,

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

I have checked with the tow bar installer to see what height they believe it will be at and they say the top of the tow bar should be approx 17-19" or just below the number plate, this is already slightly vague (not their fault as they haven't seen the MH) plus I have to guess where the rack will fit relative to this and ideally I'd select one that sits particularly low in order to use the space efficiently. Any ideas on what rack sit low ???

Was looking at a Thule Euroride 943

Any thoughts/ideas ?

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Be aware going to low may hinder you on ferry ramps, wrecking the bikes or carrier or both
    Geo

3. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Hummm, that's a good point.

4. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

I believe that towbars are a nominal 400mm or 16" in English money in height to the centre of the ball.

5. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Thanks, that's useful to know. An inch here or there will make all the difference.

6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the bar I recently had fitted gives a choice of 16" or 18" from ground to centre of the ball, as these are standard for uk made trailers

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I can't tell from the photos what overhang you have behind the rear wheels but with any load on the rear you have to be careful not to exceed the rear axle weight - and the longer the overhang the more that is magnified. 6 bikes could easily exceed 100 kilos together.

8. aba

aba

as GJH says 6 bikes will probably put a considerable load on the rear axle.
    and being that its obviously a 6 berth motorhome (otherwise why would you need 6 bikes) you are probably going to be tight on available weight as it is without 6 bikes hanging on the rear.

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/safe-loading-and-payloads