Tow bar height/bike rack height (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
In my bid to find a way to carry 6 bikes without having the ordeal of towing a trailer I think the best solution will be a Thule type tow bar mounted bike rack with the usual Thule Omni Bike rack hard fixed to the rear wall. The Omni rack is already on and is fortunately mounted very high due to the toilet cassette access door being on this rear wall. I have pricing and specs for the chassis extensions, tow bar and electrics plus the bike rack that I will mount on it however I can see now that the space between these 2 racks will not be large and may only cope with children's bikes which is fine for today.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea on what height the tow bar would be at and also if anyone has done the same and what height does the bike rack sit at ?

Here's some pics of the rear of the MH with the existing Omni rack already on,

P4270030.jpg
[/IMG]

P4270033.jpg
[/IMG]

I have checked with the tow bar installer to see what height they believe it will be at and they say the top of the tow bar should be approx 17-19" or just below the number plate, this is already slightly vague (not their fault as they haven't seen the MH) plus I have to guess where the rack will fit relative to this and ideally I'd select one that sits particularly low in order to use the space efficiently. Any ideas on what rack sit low ???

Was looking at a Link Removed

Any thoughts/ideas ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Be aware going to low may hinder you on ferry ramps, wrecking the bikes or carrier or both
Geo

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Be aware going to low may hinder you on ferry ramps, wrecking the bikes or carrier or both
Geo

Hummm, that's a good point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I believe that towbars are a nominal 400mm or 16" in English money in height to the centre of the ball.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I believe that towbars are a nominal 400mm or 16" in English money in height to the centre of the ball.

Thanks, that's useful to know. An inch here or there will make all the difference.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the bar I recently had fitted gives a choice of 16" or 18" from ground to centre of the ball, as these are standard for uk made trailers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I can't tell from the photos what overhang you have behind the rear wheels but with any load on the rear you have to be careful not to exceed the rear axle weight - and the longer the overhang the more that is magnified. 6 bikes could easily exceed 100 kilos together.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back