Too many batteries?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by timdownieuk, May 28, 2013.

1. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Our electricity usage in our camper is very modest. A couple of strips of LEDs seems to suffice for lighting and that just leaves the water pump and Carver water heater ignition reliant on the batteries. I've no plans to get a TV.

The van came with 2x110AmpHr batteries and I can't really see the sense in carting both of them around. We've not tried being off hook-up for more than a couple of days but we intend to move around a fair bit so I can't see leisure battery charging being a big problem.

Would I be daft to remove one? We don't need the extra payload but I dare say it has a small impact on fuel consumption.

Tim

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I certainly dont think its worth the hassle of getting a spanner out. Doing no harm, good back up if you ever need it and weight saving aint going to make a lot of difference..

3. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

As Tonka said, leave well alone

4. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

if you don't need the slight extra payload I can't see any point in removing one of the batteries, I don't think it would have hardly, if any impact on your fuel economy if you kept both in place.

5. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

My bus is rather smaller than yours! :Laughing: It's an old Swift Sundance just a smidgen over 5M.

Tim

6. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Pity you don't live nearer to me - I'm looking for a spare second hand leisure battery for an electrical project in my garden.

You definitely don't need the second one. If it was me I'd have the thing out and get it on eBay.