Tonights stopover in Dumfries & Galloway

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Stewart J, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
  2. lorger

lorger Funster

Looks lovely Stewart and I've heard the locals are really nice folk :Rofl1:

I have actually just drove past the Nith hotel and never noticed you there or I'd have popped in for a cuppa

• Like Like x 1
  3. lorger

lorger Funster

• Like Like x 3
  4. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Nice one Gerry many thanks. Not sure of tomorrows plans need to top up with lpg (the BP garage in Dumfries is cheap) then maybe RSPB Mersehead for some birding or maybe onto a lovely little Cl we use near New Galloway for a couple of nights, no definate plan we've our 21 month old grand-daughter with us so just chilling. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Great looking place to stay, I am going to share a secret that only a few people have heard about from me at least. There is an amazing CC CL listed under Gatehouse of Fleet, Mrs Hamilton, on LHS of A75 going towards Stranraer about 4 miles past G of F, Now has water and toilet empty (not easy for black tanks). But is right on a beach. high tides have washed our wheels, empty this time of year and under £10

I want my ashes spreading there it is so beautiful and quiet and dark at night

I will try yours next week

Thanks again :thumb:

David

• Like Like x 3
  6. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Thanks for the recommendations Gerry and Stewart J, the photos are beautiful:thumb:

We spent Saturday night at Landis Farm CL just outside New Abbey, super little site and Colin the owner was so welcoming. It will be a great place to stay in the summer. But we couldn't get any tv signal sadly, so we had to spend the night talking to each other:RollEyes:
    The next time we're back in Dumfries we will give one of these sites a try:thumb:
    http://http://www.landisfarm.co.uk/location.html

Bill

7. lorger

lorger Funster

Stewart you will definitely be chilling tonight as its freezing :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Have a nice trip and enjoy our beautiful area as I know you. Do often.

8. lorger

lorger Funster

Bill the one in Stewart's pictures isn't actually a site its the old quay in Glencaple where they allow overnighting and have stuck an honesty box for a small donation, and if you can't get TV the pubs about 10 yards away. They also have a cafe and village shop just where you see the tables and chairs.

• Like Like x 3
  9. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Yes, we know that one, it's only 5 minutes from us here. Her son Robert usually gives me a wave from his tractor on the way past our house:thumb::Laughing:
    We have another CL right up behind us, Drummuckloch Farm, but wouldn't recommend it just now, they're having building works done at the farm and it's been ongoing for about 6 months now.

Margaret

• Like Like x 1
  10. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Hi Gerry, I thought it looked like Kingholm Quay direction, but do like the sound of the site at Caerlaverock.........we needed to spend Friday night close to Dumfries and then came home on Saturday. Great CL at Landis Farm, but tv reception poor and it poured it down on Saturday:Blush:
    Bill

11. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

We are up there next week, I will pass your regards to Robert, how is Mrs H, I dread phoning each year.

I hope I have not told too many about our little secret, we like the place virtually to ourselves at this time of year

David

12. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Looks a great spot Stewart,:thumb: been on my list to do for a while.

I believe the hotel is just a few yards away.

Does anyone know if there is any fish to be had in the river?

• Like Like x 1
  13. lorger

lorger Funster

Your not far away with Kingholm, if you don't need hook up the Glencaple stopover is ideal as there is a bus stop and small toilet block at the entrance and as I mentioned a pub or should I say hotel as in the Nith hotel who do lovely meals. The one at Caerlaverock will be on the bur route also just not as many busses per day as Glencaple and a bit far to walk home from the pub:Rofl1:

14. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Callum
    I'm not a fisherman but my dads is and he fishes here often I think they class this part as sea fishing but I'm sure further up the Nith you get both trout and salmon, You can buy a daily ticket normally for the Nith from a few local shops or you can fish free from the pier at Glencaple where Stewart is parked up. Here is a link about fishing
    http://www.caerlaverockestate.co.uk/estate-fishing.php

If you decide to come up and need any info on permits feel free to ask as I only live 4 miles from this place and have a few friends that fish.

This link may help also

http://www.rivernithfishings.co.uk/

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Its become quite foggy Gerry, not a breath of wind and so peaceful :thumb:

SWIMBO informs me if we do Mersehead tomorrow it'll be wilding in Sweetheart Abbey car park tomorrow night. :BigGrin:

For those thinking of visiting Scotland, it dosen't start North of Glasgow or Edinburgh, D & G is one of the many jewels in the Scottish crown with the advantage of scenery and history to die for and its not crowded :beer: cos everyone else is further North. :Wink:

Should you fancy visiting this area and you won't be disapointed, be it, scenery, wildlife, tranquility birds or even dark skies ask away Gerry or I and others will be more than willing to assist and advise.

• Like Like x 4
  16. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Hi Gerry, Caerlaverock sounds good, we wanted to get the bus into Dumfries from New Abbey, but given the heavy rain that day we ended up just staying the one night at Landis Farm. The bus service from New Abbey is a bit iffy. We parked the van at Homebase on Saturday, but the last time we parked there a couple of neds kicked a football off the side of the van when we were having a cuppa. We nearly had heart failure, we went out after them and they walked off towards KFC saying "it wisnae me, it wis him"!!........grrr!:Angry:
    Bill

• Like Like x 1
  17. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Hi David, I haven't seen Mrs H for over 10 years, I know she was quite elderly then, so couldn't say how she is. Your secret is safe with me, most people will fly past it without knowing:thumb: I think there might be some fishing in the small lake near the farm, but not too sure.
    Robert will know me as the person who lives in "Windyhaugh", the first white house up the Skyreburn road:BigGrin:

Margaret

18. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi and Thanks for this post very informant , as we are planning to visit that area next year not sure at present what time of year,
    thanks to Stewart J, Gerryhughes, MHVirgins (bill & Margaret) for the info.
    Might see some of you next year.
    :rain: Ann & Terry:rain:

• Like Like x 3
  19. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Terry, if you don't promise to come and see us next year, we'll stop you at "border control":Laughing:
    Can I take it by the umbrellas on your post that it is actually raining down there:RollEyes: you won't be surprised to hear that there was no storm in Denmead last week either:RollEyes:

Margaret:Laughing:

20. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi Margaret, Yep, was raining when I posted last, now dry but overcast , rain forecast early hours of tomorrow. yes we had the same storm last week. We will certainly try to pop in next year!!
    :rain::sin: Terry:rain::sin:

• Like Like x 1